Silage preserver???

Help Support Steer Planet:

DSC

Does anyone have any experience with silage inoculants? I'm looking into using this but I am looking for others opinions. What brand do you use? What is the cost?
Thanks

Bar QH

I don't do any actual silage. But about 6000 big squares of baleage. I've tried inoculates and found no results just extra time and money. I strive to make the tightest bale possible to help fermentation, which I'm sure you know. I had a guy act like I was stupid for not using inoculates, we compared tests, and I blew his out of the water. Could be blind luck but didn't help his case either way.

HGC

I work with 30 plus dairies in the upper Midwest doing nutrition.  Bar QH is correct on balage.  Inoculant is a waste of money on balage.  I have been tracking fermentation profiles for 5 years on balage and haylage samples at similar moistures, and balage undergoes very little fermentation.

For haylage and corn silage I do recommend it and we have our own custom inoculant made.  It has a lot higher bacteria counts than most of the commercially available inoculants.  We sell ours for 55 cents per treated ton.  When corn silage is worth $40-60/ton and haylage worth $100 plus per ton, it is cheap insurance.  Just a 1% decrease in DM loss will pay for the inoculant.

DSC

55 cents per treated ton sounds real cheap. Do you have any scientific data on your product? What do you call it?

DSC

What is the cost of the pioneer product?