Simmental Breeders, please help

Help Support Steer Planet:

simba

I'm working on a school project and I have to find 3 Simmental heifer bulls that are carried by major Canadian semen companies that meet these requirements. I don't necessarily agree with this criteria and I know that it's nearly impossible but I have no choice. Please let me know if you have any ideas of bulls that would fit this:

Top 25% calving ease
At least 75% accuracy

Top 50% weaning weight

Top 50% Yearling weight

Top 50% Milk

Top 50% Rib Eye Area

No more than $30 per straw

ds

Take a look at ACS Red Boomer 659S, homo polled Red Simmental, Cdn Simmental reg #660604. Top 1% CE(74% acc), Top 3% BW(80% acc), Top 55% WW, Top 55% YW, Top 20% Milk, Top 10% REA

LLBUX

I did a quick search about Canadian bull studs and really found little helpful info, especially for Simmentals.   
If your teacher would let you use Cattle Visons,(based in USA) they have the info you need.   
CV exports lots of semen to Canada

Mark H

Look at Bouchard Livestock for a good selection of all types of Simmental bulls.  The bull that most closely fits your criterion is OLF Odin  U5.  He is available for $ 30.00 a straw-if you buy 30.  The biggest problem is meeting the $ 30.00 a straw price for a proven performance bull.  Other bulls in the Bouchard catalog are $ 50.00 and up that meet your standards.

jd438

Here's how I would do the search.

http://www.simmental.com/pdf/Breed%20Average%20Spring%202015.pdf
Is the canadian breed averages and percentile rankings. 
You should be able to search and find some using this tool.
http://search.simmental.com/epdsch.aspx

Then you could find out if any of those results are available from semen distributors.  I would expect that some would .

http://www.simmental.com/pdf/Sire_summary_spring_2015.pdf
You could also sort through the sire summary which I think would take longer.

Mark H

Even if you go and do an EPD search on the CSA website the only bull costing less than $ 30.00 that meets the requirements is SRS Right-On 22R at $ 20.00 at a straw.  I didn't mention him because he is an American bull on an American website- not Canadian.  Many of the other bulls are either syndicated (no semen on open market) or the cost is too high.  Another thing is that using the sellection criteria on the CSA website turned up plenty of Fleck bulls that may be worth trying on cows not heifers.  Most of the bulls that meet the criteria are not heifer bulls.

simba

I appreciate all of the info that has been provided. I know that the criteria is very strict and the price range is very low but the college is unwilling to budge on either area. Trust me, it's very frustrating for me too. These are the bulls that I think would best fit their criteria, please let me know if you have opinions on any of them, like I said I'm not very familiar with Simmental genetics.

ACS RED BOOMER 659S
OLF ODIN U5
WS ALL IN W111 (If the college will ship from Cattle Visions)
ACC1 HUSTER (If the college will ship from Cattle Visions)

jd438

I thought Ellingson Dominator was on the list. I think he was available for Canada.

Lucky_P

Larissa,
Don't have any calves on the ground at the moment, but we're currently using WS All IN W111 as AI sire for our Simmental and ANxSH heifers. 
Had been using Triple C Bettis S72H for several years - and they came small...but growth was not as anticipated from his pedigree or epd profile.

Mark H

Don't discount SRS Right-On as the price is right.  If you are going on cattle Visions make sure the semen is exportable to Canada.
If you want access to beeter bulls you will have to pay ore money per straw.  In the reality today where 2 year old commerical bulls are going for $ 7,600 on sale average so far this year that is not an unreasonable thing to do.

CJB

Not sure if they are all available for semen sales in Canada, but these bulls are all registered with the CSA and meet your EPD criteria.

745178- Mr. NLC Upgrade- Genex
787615- Ellingson Legacy(Olie) - ABS
763680- Ellingson Dominator - ABS
730205- GWS/SCF Rendition - Cattlevisions
671244- GW Lucky Man
684162- Hooks Shear Force
673793- WS Beef Maker R13

Mark H

CJB,

The big problem with that list is that if the bull is available he is over $ 30.00 a straw and the Op wanted bulls costing no more than $ 30.00.

Latest posts