Simmental bulls

Help Support Steer Planet:

bthibodeau

What is everyone using this year for Simmie bulls? Trying to figure out if I should order what I want now, or wait till all the new bulls hit the lineups after sales.

WinterSpringsFarm

bthibodeau said:
What is everyone using this year for Simmie bulls? Trying to figure out if I should order what I want now, or wait till all the new bulls hit the lineups after sales.

JBSF Berwick
Profit
Geff County O
Felt Last Call
GCC KMJ Husker
W/C Bullseye
LLSF Pays To Believe
W/C Bankroll
Have a straw of HPF Optimizer and SSC Shell Shocked that I may stick in a couple heifers to clean up the tank.

hntwhitetail

Which simmi bull would add frame, keep depth, and clean up the front of 1? 

Also, is there a baldie that would also work?

WinterSpringsFarm

hntwhitetail said:
Which simmi bull would add frame, keep depth, and clean up the front of 1? 

Also, is there a baldie that would also work?

Broker, but semen is limited and expensive.  Not many bulls in the breed will add frame and keep one cool fronted or make her better.  Steel Force would work and well, but I don't think he will add frame.

HPF Optimizer will size one up, but not overly clean fronted.

CRS

If you wanted to go a little old school, Dream On will keep or add a little frame, but they will usually be solid black or red.  We've had decent luck with Maximus too, but he's a half-blood or even his sire Meyer 734.  The 734 cattle can be a little harder calving though.  Hammer will also add some frame.  Griswold's claim that SAM won't take away any frame and said he is about a 6 frame bull, which is where I like them 5.5 to 6.  All that leg on a short-bodied one can be problematic too. 

WinterSpringsFarm

hntwhitetail said:
What son of Broker had everyone been trying out for his replacement?

None. I haven't found a single one that I like as much as Broker, and I honestly don't think there is a single one that has bred one like he has.

WinterSpringsFarm

knabe said:
CRS said:
Dream On
Maximus
Meyer 734

anyone daring to go back to foundation animals to get some diversity in this composite breed?

Not really.. Dream On is in a huge percentage of the pedigrees out there as it is.  Meyer would be tempting, but I'm not sure I really see the added value of those older bulls.  I think the type of cattle they created for their time is not the type of cattle desired right now.