snakebite?

Help Support Steer Planet:

occ

Came home from a show this weekend and found last year's show heifer in pasture very lethargic and sore.  Moved as if she had foundered, but don't know how that could have happened.  Got her up and checked temp, she was running a low grade fever but actual air temperature was 98 degrees, so hard to tell.  Gave LA200 and banamine.  Vet came yesterday and seems to think she may have rolled over on a snake.  He left us a bottle of banamine and said call if she gets worse (his usual).  Rattlesnakes and moccasins/cottonmouths are plentiful here.  Any other symptoms of and treatments for snake bite?  She is due to calve in September.

Thanks,
Penny

red

wow Penny, that is a new one for me!
Would Epinephrine work for this?

Hope she pulls through OK!

Red

chambero

We get one or two snakebit a year (usually on the head somewhere) - almost always rattlesnakes.  We just leave them alone.  They'll swell up with an enormous knot which will eventually bust and go away.  If it doesn't kill them quickly they'll be ok. 

DL

Interestingly many times that snakes strike they do not envenomate - there are basically 2 kinds of toxins when they do envenomate - neurotoxins and local muscle necrosis toxins - bites on the face of any species are particularly dangerous because the swelling can impinge the airway

epinephrine - doubt it would do much as it is the toxins not an anaphylactic reaction - since she is pregnant dexamethasone is not an option, so banamine should be useful to decrease swelling and pain. Antitoxin (if you know the snake type) is expensive and not easily available

Sorta gotta agree with chambero - not much to do if it is a snake bite - is it possible that she got into something else? toxic plants? chemicals etc?

DL

You Crotalus squisher you!

Few more snake bite facts...

big animals less susceptible than little (makes sense)
pigs very susceptible, horses also
most cattle that are snake bit survive
infection at the site is often a complication...
good luck keep us posted.

farmboy

Jason said:
I hate snakes :eek:, but I did manage to kill a rattler last weekend with my truck.
GREAT!  (clapping) I HATE SNAKES..I ALMOST UNINTENTIONLY STEPPED ON A PINE SNAKE TODAY AT THE BARN :(

occ

thanks for the replies.  She seemed much better yesterday evening, moving around without soreness, eating, drinking, etc. 

ELBEE

Rattlesnake bite will almost always cause local tissue damage and abscess. You may have to follow up with lancing, irrigation, and Bio-miacin.

Very common here.

Watch close, and good luck.