So, did I get the date wrong?

Help Support Steer Planet:

SWMO

So, the last heifer we had to calve, according to what I have written down, was not due to Until May 30th ???.  Got home about 6:00 last night and she was trying to calve.  Oops  hadn't really been paying attention to her.  Of course it's getting ready to storm so just brought her in and me and the twins assisted her.  Nice BIG heifer calf.

This heifer was Will's show heifer last year and we had a little difficultly getting her to settle.  I distinctly remember and have written down breeding her three times.  The last time to a different bull.  So did I write down the wrong due date or could she have settled the second breeding and still been standing 20 days later?  I guess DNA is in order.

What's everyone's experience?

Bawndoh

Get the calf DNA'ed and then let us know!  (clapping)

olsun

It is not uncommon for a cow or heifer to bo bred, and still have what appears to be a normal heat cycle. I believe it happens because the hormones have not yet balanced or changed. I'm not sure of the correct terminology. But it does happen.

GLZ

I am guessing she showed a false heat the last time you bred her.

mooch

I agree, have had females have a false heat, breed them and then have them calve to the breeding before.But not very often.