Spread the Wealth II

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Dad

I received the following in an email and it was credited to David R. Kamerschen, Ph.D., Professor of Economics, University of Georgia:

Suppose that every day, ten men go out for beer and the bill for all ten comes to $100. If they paid their bill the way we pay our taxes, it would go something like this:

The first four men (the poorest) would pay nothing.
The fifth would pay $1.
The sixth would pay $3.
The seventh would pay $7.
The eighth would pay $12.
The ninth would pay $18.
The tenth man (the richest) would pay $59.

So, that's what they decided to do. The ten men drank in the bar every day and seemed quite happy with the arrangement, until one day, the owner threw them a curve.
"Since you are all such good customers", he said, "I'm going to reduce the cost of your daily beer by $20". Drinks for the ten now cost just $80.
The group still wanted to pay their bill the way we pay our taxes so the first four men were unaffected. They would still drink for free. But what about the other six men - the paying customers? How could they divide the $20 windfall so that everyone would get his "fair share?"
They realized that $20 divided by six is $3.33. But if they subtracted that from everybody's share, then the fifth man and the sixth man would each end up being paid to drink his beer. So, the bar owner suggested that it would be fair to reduce each man's bill by roughly the same amount, and he proceeded to work out the amounts each should pay.

And so:
The fifth man, like the first four, now paid nothing (100% savings).
The sixth now paid $2 instead of $3 (33%savings).
The seventh now pay $5 instead of $7 (28%savings).
The eighth now paid $9 instead of $12 (25% savings).
The ninth now paid $14 instead of $18 (22% savings).
The tenth now paid $49 instead of $59 (16% savings).

Each of the six was better off than before. And the first four continued to drink for free. But once outside the restaurant, the men began to compare their savings.
"I only got a dollar out of the $20," declared the sixth man. He pointed to the tenth man, "but he got $10!"
"Yeah, that's right," exclaimed the fifth man. "I only saved a dollar, too. It's unfair that he got ten times more than I!"
"That's true!!" shouted the seventh man. "Why should he get $10 back when I got only two? The wealthy get all the breaks!"
"Wait a minute," yelled the first four men in unison. "We didn't get anything at all. The system exploits the poor!"
The nine men surrounded the tenth and beat him up.
The next night the tenth man didn't show up for drinks, so the nine sat down and had beers without him. But when it came time to pay the bill, they discovered something important. They didn't have enough money between all of them for even half of the bill!

And that, boys and girls, journalists and college professors, is how our tax system works. The people who pay the highest taxes get the most benefit from a tax reduction. Tax them too much, attack them for being wealthy, and they just may not show up anymore. In fact, they might start drinking overseas where the atmosphere is somewhat friendlier.

justintime

SD... you are not just good looking, but I like the way you think!It is too bad that today's society thinks that there is nothing wrong with the example you provided.

shortyjock89

justintime said:
SD... you are not just good looking, but I like the way you think!It is too bad that today's society thinks that there is nothing wrong with the example you provided.

I'm not even sure that society KNOWS that this is how things work.  They just know that TAX= unfair and those that pay taxes getting a break is even more unfair.  Media and Mr. Obama are just fueling the fire. 

cattlejunky

Maybe, we need to buy commercial time on the networks and explain it this way.  Maybe, people would finally get the point! 

Dusty

The book Atlas Shrugged should be required reading for high school graduates.  It hits the nail on the head of explaining what happens when you try and overtax the producers and the government intervenes in the economy. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atlas_Shrugged

kanshow

You'd have to explain it in terms of Latte & Tofu..  Then the flaming liberals would have a better chance of understanding.

cattlejunky

kanshow said:
You'd have to explain it in terms of Latte & Tofu..   Then the flaming liberals would have a better chance of understanding.
That is true.  The Beer explanation would be geared towards some union workers who vote for who they are told to vote for. I know I am going to get in trouble for that one.

knabe

one thing you are forgetting.  people understand this and KNOW it will lead to the destruction of America.  they see America as a pox on the world and want america (but not necessarily them) to return to a free range society.

these organizations include

PETA
ACLU
MECHA
La Raza
LULAC
NAACP
any racial pressure group that isn't white
sierra club
humane society
teachers union, especiall in california
Berkeley
univ santa cruz
San Francisco
caliphate
3/4's europe
Africa
north korea
china
indonesia
malaysia
middle east
mexico

of course all of the above groups are racist and societyist.  of course we are too for not wanting to be like them and discriminate against unequal representation of women in society.  the above groups are more of a bubba (or a bubba speech code restrictor) group than we are.

probably our biggest weakness is our penchant for the number one black market product, drugs.  we are losing our children.  think of a different world with less demand for heroin, pot, meth, etc.  the demand for drugs is a problem.  each increment of police action, arrests, therapy etc, extracts useful capital from the marketplace.  the care bear approach and police state methods don't work.  activity, curiosity, and a few other words are better alternatives.

knabe

kanshow said:
Add PETA to the list

done,  now this      http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9UFzkO5OhKY

does anyone really need the entire day off to vote?

it must take longer than a biased police lt. test to vote.

what message does this really send?

so, we are going to redistribute the wealth, now we are going to redistrubute the workday?

no wonder the stock market is tanking. profit should be illegal.

JbarL

BIGTEX said:
They still would not get it. Here lets ask. JbarL or DL any opinions  or thoughts.
250 K is ones personal income...not ones business gross or net....its the candidate that gets the most votes ( usually) that gets to be president......i'm not sure why obama is so popular......maybe dl does........not sure why your alls views dont seem to be shared with the majority of the polls.....i agree you all should maybe do a bit more to get your views out there.......seems theres alot of preaching to the choir among the right here........i think the country would love to hear  you alls  ideas on not buying from a democratic vendor.....or barber...or restaurant....or car dealer....or feed supplier.....it worked for the black folks with the bus boycott in the 60's.....sent quite a fininical message to the  locals at the time......i say go for it....make big signs that express your opinions and put them out side your business and homes.....i'm assuming that you all are  alble to survive on just "republican"  customers.... alot of floks just want a hair cut, or a new car...or there furnace fixed..or a cow or two......or just lunch....wear your colors proudly every where you go, i'm sure you'll prosper greatly........you guys got some great financial ideas for your future......just make sure that everone who trades with you, knows where you stand so they dont waste there time, going to your place to buy cattle/ or hay/ or your used equipment.......i'd hate to drive 300 miles and then learn you dont sell to non republician thinking folks......i think you all really got something there....seems the republican party should be readin' cattle boards to find the answers to pease the masses, insead of ..what ever it is  they are trying represent this election....make sure when you send out your flyers and catalogs next year you put a notice that you prefer to sell to only folks who voted for mccain....not sure about dl ....but i think most of the ideas/ fears/ and speculation i've read on this post  are narrow minded, out of touch with the majority ( reality) , and self destructive if you decide to actually " practice what you preach"....but some how i got a feeling that i'm going to get as many sale catalogs and notices of goods for trade from the same folks in the future as i have in the past....if you find it necessary to  exclude me from your future mailing lists/ and find it neccessary to spread the word to all "your fellow participants" and have them exclude me as well thats ok with me......if you dont want my money..you dont have  to  waste your postage or jepordize your ethics on me.....i understand.....as far as the guy sd gave the tip to....wouldnt it be ironic if he took the money and hit the lotto......and then starts think' and talkin' just like those of you who invited this response from me.  :D......being an ole union guy, i   appreciate the unity of any group....this group is no exception....and being an ole  union guy i have been on the short side of alot of decisons that have not supported the ideas i represented.....your theories and plan of action seem to be strong and united...i wish you all the best in your efforts......if your not interested in mine, thats ok too....if it ends up as bad as you all think, im sure theres going to be tons of "real"  horror stories for you all to tell by next halloween.....i'll really be eatin' crow then  :D.....
dl..how much crow can an average frame/early 50's/ smoking male  eat before genetic "turkey like" symptoms start appearing?...  :D....
you guys are great...i wish the best as always to you and yours......jbarl

Dusty

Glenn Beck interviewed Ted Nuget a while back.  The guy is a little rough around the edges, but his philosophies are spot on.  He said there is only one group of people in this country that should be provided welfare from the government and that is disabled veterans.  I totally agree with that.  It should be live or die for everyone else.  No man should be made to live for the sake of another man.  Eliminating welfare would also do a lot to solve the illegal immigration problem.  If people had to actually go to work there wouldn't be any meat packing jobs available for the illegals.  The mexicans have got it figured out.  Mom works one shift, dad works another.  One watches the kids while the other works.  It's not easy work, but one can make almost 40k a year at the packing house. with pretty decent benefits. 

knabe

JbarL said:
seems theres alot of preaching to the choir among the right here........

yup.

obama is maybe shifting from 250 to 200.

jbarl, as a union guy, what do you think of card check? where you lose anonimity on your voting?

JbarL

dusty i seen that interview as well.....very interesting slant of the interpertation of democracy he has....very informed guy...actually pretty intreging concepts he had......his book "red/white and nuggent" will be an interesting read.....my right sided quests this year  came frommy  immagration/labor issues the dem's seem to have strayed from .......and the repubs havnt even so much as mentioned it this year?....nuggents theories seemed to favor the commune/amish  flavor even....one neighbor raises veggies, one raises chickens, beef, clothing ect...trading and supporting effprts within.  i believe sru had a mention of a word that described all population within a 100 mile radius supplying there own demand....but like you said he is a bit rough around the edges....and eventually there would be no vetrans cause we wont have no army, cause we will all be taking care of ourselves.....and all the rest of the wars and fights will all be here.....i'm not sure if the public is ready to give up all the " shiney things" to be that self sufficent just quite yet......but i tell ya what......i cant wait to see him on huckabees show and listen to those two jam.....he wont need that 5 string bass, thats for sure... :D.....just some straight rock and roll.....the conversation will be quite interesting as well.....jbarl