Steer Feeding Tips?

Help Support Steer Planet:

ISquaredCattle

I recently am getting into steers and have been experimenting a bit with feed mixes... I used a corn/oats/beet pulp/cottonseed hulls/molasses mix, with lots of hay, and after the steer reached about 900# he got sort of a pot belly. What did I do wrong? I would really appreciate hearing what y'all feed for a mix, and what is important in feeding steers, etc. I really know nothing so any help is appreciated!
Is fiber really important for a steer? and how does it affect their looks?
Thanks for your help.

vc

Do you know your over all nutritional value of your feed, protean level, fat level, are you adding any mineral to your mix, have you compared your mix to commercial feed to see what their quantities of each ingredient compares to yours? You might have to much fiber or you may not have enough protean or fat in the mix.

ISquaredCattle

Do you know your over all nutritional value of your feed, protean level, fat level, are you adding any mineral to your mix, have you compared your mix to commercial feed to see what their quantities of each ingredient compares to yours? You might have to much fiber or you may not have enough protean or fat in the mix.
Thats a good idea. There is mineral in the mix, yes.

ISquaredCattle

This is the mix that didn't work too well.
110 oats
900 corn
400 purina precon
250 purina 4 T-Fyer
20 mineral
50 molasses

vc

Most of your show feeds are balanced with mineral in them, usually only require hay, until the end then we start them on supplements depending on the steers needs.