Stinger

Help Support Steer Planet:

tadpole

I just recently acquired some stinger semen, and was wondering what he worked on or what people used to breed him too.  The guy that i got if from said that the calves he had out of him were big at birth and to really watch the cow.  Also what are the daughters like or his more of a steer bull.  And if anyone has a picture of him? any info on him would also be appreciated.  Also got some sugar ray from the guy. any info on him? thanks, Chad.

OH Breeder

Stinger you know that he is the original PHA Carrier. You can always breed with that in mind. He also is the bloodline of Theobald 969
Make sure you use Sugar Ray on a sweet cow that has a great disposition. His calves could be mean mean mean. There are quiet a few from that day on here that can help.

vcsf

To clarify I think Stinger would be considered the main original source of PHA in Shorthorns.  In the picture I can remember I did not think he looked too impressive but probably outbred himself.

I would think that you would want to use Sugar Ray on a very moderate framed cow or the calves would get plenty big for today.  They definitely were popular calves at the time that is the ones that made it to the ring. To say they could be mean mean mean is probably a very big understatement.

DL

Draft Pick, Stinger and Payback all are believed to have "obtained" the PHA mutation at the same time, but because only Draft Pick had a "real pedigree" and samples available from multiple generations the identification of the mutation was done using DP. The origin or the matation in the 3 bulls has never been determined - but since it is the same mutation in all and since they were all believed to have obtained it at the same time somebody back there somewhere gave the gift of lethal genetic defects to these bulls.

DP is primarily but not the only original PHA carrier in the Maine breed. Stinger is considered the original (but not the only) PHA carrier in Shorthorns - there are PHAC Shorthorns that trace to Paramount but not Stinger.  The only known registered PHAC Simmie is a Stinger son (Theobald 969). Payback added PHA to a wide variety of clubby and Chi critters.

Bobby May (who owned Stinger) was reported to say he was a freak of nature. Call him if you were interested in what he thought. I personally would dump the semen.

yuppiecowboy

Bob May owned Stinger? thats news to me. I thought Flesner did.

Here is my experience with Stinger, and I have quite a bit. He made tremendous clubby cows out of angus dams. Right up there and often surpassing the Cunias, Epinals, etc. He was by far the best maine to be used to improve shorthorns. I loved my Stinger cows. He was a hard calver and certainly was for use on mature cows only, and even then keep an eye on things.

Unfortunately you have to take the PHA issue into consideration. I understand DL's opinion, and I will not argue with her, if you are of the belief that using carriers of genetic defects is a mortal sin then dont use it. I personally got lucky in that 2 of the best cows I ever had tested clean.

If I had Stinger semen today (and I wish I did) I would use and test the calves. For me he was good enough to warrant the hassle. I would even keep the carrier females for use as terminal steer producers.

I have known some tremendous Sugar Ray cows. I have often contemplated throwing a stick into an OCC bred cow or too, then I remember how much older and fatter I am now than the last time I used him, and I barely survived then.

Telos

DL, that was Bobby Maddox who owned Stinger. Bobby May owned  Draft Pick though. I know it gets confusing.

jbh

Telos said:
DL, that was Bobby Maddox who owned Stinger. Bobby May owned  Draft Pick though. I know it gets confusing.

Actually Tom Klingner owned part of him too, as I remember.....had him about the same time as he had Total Play.

DL

Who is on first - good grief. Someone (I believe it was Bobby May) said Stinger was a freak of nature...with half these bulls who know who owns who...could be Geo Bush owned Stinger (no I guess that was a baseball team) - I thought Pannell owned Draft Pick - at least bought from Wises - you are right Maddox owned Stinger - who bred him? anyhow - my point was "freak of nature"

(before PHA) I do have a friend who was looking all over for Stinger semen because he thought his Stinger cows were the very best, I however would still toss it

telos - I agree the AMAA search is awful

jbh

DL said:
Who is on first - good grief. Someone (I believe it was Bobby May) said Stinger was a freak of nature...with half these bulls who know who owns who...could be Geo Bush owned Stinger (no I guess that was a baseball team) - I thought Pannell owned Draft Pick - at least bought from Wises - you are right Maddox owned Stinger - who bred him? anyhow - my point was "freak of nature"

(before PHA) I do have a friend who was looking all over for Stinger semen because he thought his Stinger cows were the very best, I however would still toss it

telos - I agree the AMAA search is awful

Jim and Bobby owned him together.

jbh

DL said:
Draft Pick, Stinger and Payback all are believed to have "obtained" the PHA mutation at the same time, but because only Draft Pick had a "real pedigree" and samples available from multiple generations the identification of the mutation was done using DP. The origin or the matation in the 3 bulls has never been determined - but since it is the same mutation in all and since they were all believed to have obtained it at the same time somebody back there somewhere gave the gift of lethal genetic defects to these bulls.

DP is primarily but not the only original PHA carrier in the Maine breed. Stinger is considered the original (but not the only) PHA carrier in Shorthorns - there are PHAC Shorthorns that trace to Paramount but not Stinger.  The only known registered PHAC Simmie is a Stinger son (Theobald 969). Payback added PHA to a wide variety of clubby and Chi critters.

Bobby May (who owned Stinger) was reported to say he was a freak of nature. Call him if you were interested in what he thought. I personally would dump the semen.

Just to clarify also......I believe that Theobald 969 is a Meyer son out of a stinger based cow.

shortyjock89

I thought so too....but I'm not exactly a Simmental dude, and I've been wrong before......that ONE time..haha.

Telos

I don't know if Maddox chimes in on Steer Planet but as I recall he told me that someone looked like they stretched the hide like a drum over Stinger's head as tight as you get it. He also mentioned his eyes looked like they were going to pop out of his head. Knabe and I also abserved a Paramount Fullblood cow with a very similar look about her head. We did not know if she was a PHAC or not.

Telos

jbh said:
Telos said:

Actually Tom Klingner owned part of him too, as I remember.....had him about the same time as he had Total Play.

Yes, that's correct and there was one more owner but can't remember.

DL

Just to clarify also......I believe that Theobald 969 is a Meyer son out of a stinger based cow.
[/quote]

true Meyer out of a Stinger cow - my bad -dam of T969 is a Stinger daughter out of an PB Angus cow

aj

Dang DL...just  because you have interests in 7 breeds doesn't give you the right to ever,ever,ever, goof up.I know i used to think Maine Anjou were red and chianina were white, and simmental were spotted red, and limousins were red and gelbviehs were red and south devons were red and angus were black and shorthorns were a british breed and salers were red and herfords were yellow and pedigrees were accurate and people didn't lie about bwts or birthdates and cattle were judged on their merits and not their color. That was before the national registration of heatseekers that look like 5 different breeds and the showring destroyed the Shorthorns usefullness as a productive breed and who cares what the birthweights are as long as you can sell the offspring to a hobbie farmer on the east coast and who cares if the the cattle are genetic defective if you can sell it to a braindead okie who wants to win a show in fort worth for his daughter at all costs.Who haven't I affended yet?I don't think we are in Kansas anymore and sweet home alabama and poor dad in ohio(inside joke).It really doesn't matter cause the rich guys get the women and being drunk and stupid is no way to get through life(even if you are on double secret probation). And damn them Germans for bombing pearl harbor.ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!  AHHHHHHHH

farmboy

aj said:
Dang DL...just  because you have interests in 7 breeds doesn't give you the right to ever,ever,ever, goof up.I know i used to think Maine Anjou were red and chianina were white, and simmental were spotted red, and limousins were red and gelbviehs were red and south devons were red and angus were black and shorthorns were a british breed and salers were red and herfords were yellow and pedigrees were accurate and people didn't lie about bwts or birthdates and cattle were judged on their merits and not their color. That was before the national registration of heatseekers that look like 5 different breeds and the showring destroyed the Shorthorns usefullness as a productive breed and who cares what the birthweights are as long as you can sell the offspring to a hobbie farmer on the east coast and who cares if the the cattle are genetic defective if you can sell it to a braindead okie who wants to win a show in fort worth for his daughter at all costs.Who haven't I affended yet?I don't think we are in Kansas anymore and sweet home alabama and poor dad in ohio(inside joke).It really doesn't matter cause the rich guys get the women and being drunk and stupid is no way to get through life(even if you are on double secret probation). And damn them Germans for bombing pearl harbor.ROAD TRIP!!!!!!!!   AHHHHHHHH

hey hey take it easy on me  (lol)

DL

aj - can you see the possum by moonlight in your town? :eek: