Stock trailer width & floating center gate

Help Support Steer Planet:

beeffarmer

I'm looking at getting a new trailer and wondered what the thoughts are on 7' wide vs. 7.5' wide x 20' long. Also questioning the use of a single floating center gate on a 7.5' wide model from right behind the fender wells to ~6' from the front. Does anyone have one configured like that? When rolled forward, is the "gap" where the fender well would be a noticeable issue? Mainly hauling cattle.
Thanks for any input

Doc

We have 2 trailers. Both are Eby's and 7' wide. One is 20' and has one floating gate. The other is a 24' trailer with a front floating gate and the back one is stationary. I will never have a trailer again without a floating gate.
By the way, welcome to steerplanet.

WinterSpringsFarm

I wouldn't want to own anything less than 24ft by 7ft with a rolling door. That being said what I want and can afford are 2 different things. Rolling doors add money, I've been pricing them out.

blackdirt cowboy

I'm not a fan of the floating gates in trailers that will be used to haul commercial cattle. If all you're going to hail is show cattle, then they are great to be able to configure your tack area to be the size you need it. As far as width, I just purchased a used trailer 8 1/2 feet wide and I love it. I was afraid it would be hard to see around, but it's fine. You can tie full grown fat steers in there and have plenty of room to walk behind them. You do have to be careful, as it's really easy to overload the truck when hauling commercial cattle.