Suck ups and Brown Nosers

Help Support Steer Planet:

farmboy

red said:
we have a really nice bred & owned steer show. They pick the top 10. It's amazing seeing what comes from the county.

Red

i had the reserve county steer this past year, came down to all my buds in the ring lol, and they guy picked me, had to brag on that one for a while lol

kimbaljd

cowz said:
nutterbutter said:
Had a female do the european breeds of heifers at Houston this year. It was a train wreck. :eek:

this goes along with my original point.  Obviously, a judge that creates a train wreck is not qualified, regardless of gender!   She probably was dating the son of someone on the show committee.  suckingup!

Wouldnt it be cool if there was a list of judges that played it straight.  One good old boy offense and you were off the list?

There was a judge at a recent national show whose familie sells club lambs.  Guaranteed that several of the class winners in a cattle class also had bought lambs at one time or another from the judge.

I would say that that would never work. The one good ole boy offense then your done. I have seen on many occasions, some sore losers who had crappy animals lose then say the judge was a "good ole boy". It is a fine line and YES there are many times where there are some greased palms, but IMO there are more good judges than bad ones. Because the fact there are more kids showing than there are judges. And there are a LOT of parents who lose there minds when their precious kid does not win champion, the throw a hissy fit and claim it is all political.

Just my Opinion.

milkmaid56

He gets into the classes and honestly the steers that she was up against were not much competition to hers at all. She had a "show" steer while everyone else in the class was slick sheared and not much to them.
renee-
be careful what you say about other people and there cattle...this is a public forum and you never know who is reading.  i find it odd that the competition that you referred to as "not having much to them" actually did better in class than your sisters steer at the final show they were in.  

farmboy

milkmaid56 said:
He gets into the classes and honestly the steers that she was up against were not much competition to hers at all. She had a "show" steer while everyone else in the class was slick sheared and not much to them.
renee-
be careful what you say about other people and there cattle...this is a public forum and you never know who is reading.  i find it odd that the competition that you referred to as "not having much to them" actually did better in class than your sisters steer at the final show they were in.  

Just being at his own county show it may be true, and alot of times, alot of the steers are just there to be sold in a 4-H auction or something. An easy way to make a buck, whether its a good calf or not

cowz

kimbaljd said:
cowz said:
nutterbutter said:
Had a female do the european breeds of heifers at Houston this year. It was a train wreck. :eek:

this goes along with my original point.  Obviously, a judge that creates a train wreck is not qualified, regardless of gender!   She probably was dating the son of someone on the show committee.  suckingup!

Wouldnt it be cool if there was a list of judges that played it straight.  One good old boy offense and you were off the list?

There was a judge at a recent national show whose familie sells club lambs.  Guaranteed that several of the class winners in a cattle class also had bought lambs at one time or another from the judge.

I would say that that would never work. The one good ole boy offense then your done. I have seen on many occasions, some sore losers who had crappy animals lose then say the judge was a "good ole boy". It is a fine line and YES there are many times where there are some greased palms, but IMO there are more good judges than bad ones. Because the fact there are more kids showing than there are judges. And there are a LOT of parents who lose there minds when their precious kid does not win champion, the throw a hissy fit and claim it is all political.

Just my Opinion.

You are right....I was just dreaming out loud for a moment.    (lol)

knabe

AAOK said:
knabe said:
best two judges in my opinion

bill jacobs  (only man i think to judge denver twice)
jarold callahan 

Knabe, Knabe, Knabe...... Here is where we REALLY differ.  I don't at all respect the Judging of either of these two.  Callahan picks ONLY his buddies, and Bill Jacobs is with out a duobt the poorest of poor when it comes to breeding heifers.  He can find a decent steer, but the man couldn't find a heifer if you put a teat in his mouth!! 

hey aaok,

the times i saw callahan judge, it was on the west coast and was at county fairs and similar.  i thought he did a great job with the steers.    when i saw jacobs judge, he was still known as a hereford breeder, everyone else was picking the frame 8 and beyond cows of herefords and shorthorns, much to their demise and he was picking nice balanced animals that were pound heavy.

another judge at the time i thought did a good job was margo hekin.  she worked for a time at a famous hereford ranch that went out of business during the frame 8 era, and they had, i thought had a decent solid program going.

fluffer

One time I was showing at a show and the judge and I were from the same county.  I didn't know he was judging until I walked into the ring.  I had a cow/calf and a Sr.yearling heifer.  My Sr. Yearling was by far better then the cow calf.  Both of my animals won their class and since the cow/calf was in the last class I couldn't switch to show my Sr.Yearling.  I had to show my cow.  The judge choose my cow that I was showing to win the show.  To this day I know that was a set up but I didn't have anything to do with it.  That cow never did well anywere.  The heifer on the other hand won all kinds of shows. 

showgirl2010

I go to three different county fairs and I can only complain about one.  I was in the senior showmanship class and this girl walks in with a low cut shiny shirt that said barn bench (fill it in).  Guess who walked away wit the buckle?  Yep, and I had people coming up to me and telling me that I should have won that class hands down.  Oh well I play fair they dont they have to sleep with it not me.  I enjoy what I do and do not complain about what I cant control.  The other fairs are wonderful though.  Everyone has a fair shot no matter what there last name is. 

Oh ya another story.  Showmanship again, and the judge went to the mic and was talking and he said he likes to see nice show halters blah blah blah...then goes on to choose the girl who was not even paying attention to the judge and has a rope halter on.  Oh that made me mad my dad made me cool off before I went to shake his hand, but I did ask what I did wrong and he couldn't come up with nothing.  Not a thing.  I did realize later that he didn't ask me a question on purpose.

Things happen and life goes on.  But I will win this year...I am determined.

Jamie

knabe

sometimes i wonder why cattle shows can't have a little more of this, rather than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbkbss7i5s&eurl=http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/08/video-best-game-ever/

the best show ever.

kimbaljd

knabe said:
sometimes i wonder why cattle shows can't have a little more of this, rather than that.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_Nbkbss7i5s&eurl=http://hotair.com/archives/2008/04/08/video-best-game-ever/

the best show ever.

That was great! I cant even imagine seeing the looks on those kids faces during the game.

showgirl2010

knabe said:

the best show ever.

It would be the best show ever.  Notice how they treated both teams equal.  That is how it should be.

Jamie

Latest posts