SULL GNCC Asset

Help Support Steer Planet:

trevorgreycattleco

TMJ I have only had cattle for 11 years so I may still be a little green behind the ears. I have had all the Trump genetics I can handle thank you. I had about 40 brood cows all with Trump in there, Rodeo Drive, you name it, I have tried it. Your a show jock so I'm assumming your cattle are on full feed all the time so you don't really care about cattle in the real world. I never pulled more calves, fed more hay, or lost more money than when I had those genetics so don't tell me I don't know what I am talkin about. What gets my crawl is the shorthorn breed sits in a a pretty good position right now but people like SULL with there BS epd's and ages on their bulls will only hurt a guy like me tryin to do the right thing and breed cattle that really do hold up with out a feed bucket attached to their head and calve easy with a vigorous calf. I will bet you my farm in the next few years you won't see Mr Sull using ANY of the bulls he is now. Wonder why? I am saying this not to try and piss everyone off. I want everyone to be careful what they buy. When I was brand new I was the hog being led to the ham sandwich a few times and if I can help one person avoid that then it's worth it to me. I get sick and tired of people using the same thing OVER and OVER again. Shorthorn catalogs are like the Groundhog Day movie. Same thing again and again. Look around, try some new lines that are out there. Wonder why Sull just bought a truckload from Rob Sneed?   My neighbor just calved a 117 lb heifer calf out of his Trump son that I discouraged him to get and now he says he is going to sell her next spring at a expo. Now I wonder what she will bring???? You think he will be happy with his investment? another neighbior of mine used shorthorns for 5 years. All Trump , Rodeo Drive, Solution , you get the idea. Know what he runs now? yep not Shorthorns nor will he ever again. He went back to Angus. So if I am sour on these lines maybe you can understand. I know them all to well thanks. Keep them to the show ring and lets not push these cattle in Denver to commercial cowboys PLEASE!

justintime

trevorgreycattleco said:
TMJ I have only had cattle for 11 years so I may still be a little green behind the ears. I have had all the Trump genetics I can handle thank you. I had about 40 brood cows all with Trump in there, Rodeo Drive, you name it, I have tried it. Your a show jock so I'm assumming your cattle are on full feed all the time so you don't really care about cattle in the real world. I never pulled more calves, fed more hay, or lost more money than when I had those genetics so don't tell me I don't know what I am talkin about. What gets my crawl is the shorthorn breed sits in a a pretty good position right now but people like SULL with there BS epd's and ages on their bulls will only hurt a guy like me tryin to do the right thing and breed cattle that really do hold up with out a feed bucket attached to their head and calve easy with a vigorous calf. I will bet you my farm in the next few years you won't see Mr Sull using ANY of the bulls he is now. Wonder why? I am saying this not to try and piss everyone off. I want everyone to be careful what they buy. When I was brand new I was the hog being led to the ham sandwich a few times and if I can help one person avoid that then it's worth it to me. I get sick and tired of people using the same thing OVER and OVER again. Shorthorn catalogs are like the Groundhog Day movie. Same thing again and again. Look around, try some new lines that are out there. Wonder why Sull just bought a truckload from Rob Sneed?   My neighbor just calved a 117 lb heifer calf out of his Trump son that I discouraged him to get and now he says he is going to sell her next spring at a expo. Now I wonder what she will bring???? You think he will be happy with his investment? another neighbior of mine used shorthorns for 5 years. All Trump , Rodeo Drive, Solution , you get the idea. Know what he runs now? yep not Shorthorns nor will he ever again. He went back to Angus. So if I am sour on these lines maybe you can understand. I know them all to well thanks. Keep them to the show ring and lets not push these cattle in Denver to commercial cowboys PLEASE!

I learned a long time ago, that there are good cattle in every breed, and within every bloodline of any breed. I guess it drives me a little crazy when I see so many people making general comments about certain bloodlines and  certain breeders when this just isn't the entire story. I think I run my cows very much like most commercial producers, in fact most commercial producers in my area, probably feed their cows better than I do. My cows live on hay and grass.
We make our living from our cows, so we have to raise something that we can sell. I cannot afford to put all my eggs in one basket, so I try to raise cattle that will work in different operations. That said, I insist on them being trouble free, low maintenance and efficient. I have used 3 Rodeo Drive sons over the years. They have all done a good job for me, and two of these were amongst the easiest calving sires ever used here. I buy cattle on their own merit, not just their pedigree, and I have made several mistakes over the years, but all in all, most have worked well.
Calf # 92 was just born a few minutes ago. Out of 92 calves, I have assisted 2... one a dead calf at the start of calving, and another that was a malpresentation. So far, all my heifers have calved on their own.I have not had to help a single calf to nurse, and it looks like the bags of dry colostrum I purchased before calving started may be stale dated again.  I consider this to be a very good calving season so far. This has been accomplished with a variety of bloodlines in my cows and the sires used. This is why I say, you cannot say all cattle of a particular bloodline are bad. They simply are not!

I do not want to speak for Mr Sullivan, but I suspect he is purchasing cows with a specific plan in mind. He has purchased a number of cows recently, not only from Mr Sneed, but also from other producers, with different programs.He is expanding his operation, and it does my heart good to see someone actually expanding while most others are decreasing their cow herd numbers.  I am expecting he is trying to diversify his bloodlines to meet a larger customer base. I applaud anyone who has the foresight to appreciate cattle for what they are, and breed them accordingly. I fully expect Mr Sullivan will blend the genetics from the cows he has recently purchased with some of the bloodlines that have worked for him in the past. This is what cattle breeders do, that is, use all the tools available to them, to try to build a better beast. I do not, for even a fleeting moment believe, that because Sullivan Farms has purchased cattle from other genetic basics, that this says that he is unhappy with the genetics he has produced previously. It  expect it is the exact opposite. He is expanding his genetic base, and I expect in short order there will be cattle with the SULL prefix that are topping his sales that have blended genetics in their make- up.

I can site many examples of people who have had a bad experience with any breed. I talked with a commercial producer last night who said he had a wreck with an Angus bull he purchased. He also said he was running 10 herd bulls, and so far his one Shorthorn is the only bull who has produced all unassisted births. Again, he may have been lucky in his first Shorthorn bull purchase, but you cannot say that all Shorthorn bulls will sire calves that are born unassisted. Nor can you say that because he had a wreck with his Angus bull, that all Angus bulls will have calving issues. My point is that this is the same as saying all cattle that have Trump or Rodeo Drive or any other bull you can name in their pedigree are trouble waiting for a place to happen.

The fact that there are lots of the same bloodlines in sale catalogs is nothing new. It has been this way since time was. If you look back over the decades, there have been specific bloodlines that dominated for periods of time. In the 60s, almost everyone used a son or grandson of Bapton Constructor. In the 70s, the hot genetics were the Leader lines, and if you look back at breed magazines from that era, almost every ad listed a Leader descendant in their herd bull line up. In the 80s and early 90s, lots of Ayatollah and Lancer bloodlines were the " bloodline of choice". Later in the 90s the Rodeo Drives can into favor. Lately, it has been the Trump lines. This is nothing new. Right now, most everyone is trying to figure out where the next new genetics are going to come from. I think there are some great options available. I would only suggest that we try to keep our cattle useful, not only to the guy who feeds them, but also to the end user. Fads will come and go, but in the end, the only ones that matter, are the ones who make money for everyone down the line, from the cow calf man to the feeder, to the packer, to the consumer. If any one of these people in this chain doesn't like the product produced,or doesn't think they are getting value from their purchase, it is in trouble.

shortyjock89

Hey, FWIW, I have a SULL heifer with NO Trump or Rodeo Drive in her pedigree. Ace of Diamond x SS Lakeside Jane Mary 694.  Pretty outcross compared to most of the cattle in the ring today (although AoD is gaining big popularity due to his success in the last year). She is still competitive at a very high level. Now being that she IS so different in her pedigree, it really opens up the playbook for her calves. Maybe put some Canadian genetics in there with an Alta Cedar bull or maybe JiT's Leroy bull in the next couple years. She is a nice blend of American and Australian blood and I'm excited to see what kind of offspring we can get from her.

sue

OH Breeder said:
I think where the person is getting the full brother statement is from the No Bull Catalog.
Lot 8 says

Roan Goose was the lead bull in our Champion Pen of Five. He possesses above average IMF (3.71), REA (16.8), and huge testicles. He is a full sib to breed greats Grey Goose, Asset and Eldorado. Proven and productive genetics in a well designed phenotype.

Confusing..... ??? Eldorado is a Trump so not sure why they put that in the catalog.

Ohio Breeder - can you answer my question? Would you use Asset over the other bulls I listed ( i know some of it I cannot get) but what have you seen by the other bulls? I think if I was looking for a carcass or calving ease bull i would have been on a different post  ? Really just  looking at a show heifer mating .

Doc

trevorgreycattleco said:

Trevor, I have been raising SHorthorns for 38 years (1972) , so I'm not a newcomer , but I'm not a old timer either. In that time I've seen a lot of different trends come & go in the Shorthorn breed. I'm like JIT , in the fact that all cattle from a certain line are not all bad , just like all from a certain line are all good. If non Trump & Rodeo Drive , etc bloodline cattle will make you money , then good for you. I have different bloodlines in my herd from a Leader 21st dtr, to a Trump, to an Irish Mist, to an Eskimo Joe, etc. So you can't say that I'm all clubby breeding or show or commercial. I try to make money with mine, with yes OMG , I'm going to say it , an emphasis on show calves!!! The thing is the ones I sell will go on & make cows.
As far as your deal about cattle with the SULL prefix , I don't know what to tell you. I'll be honest , John has already been in the breed a lot longer than a lot of people thought & said he would be. In that time he has also pumped a lot of money in the breed & more importantly garnered a lot of attention for the breed. Wether you want to admit it or not , wether you have his breeding or not , you have benefited from the attention. I may not agree with all his breeding decisions or like all his cattle, but I also don't think he or his cattle is going to be the ruination of the breed. As far as the EPD's go , believe them or not . That is your option, but the fact remains the ASA recognizes them & that is the way it is.
If I'm not being too personal , how are some of your cows bred? I'm sure they make you money , but you take those same genetics into a different part of the country & you may not even be able to give them away. Just my two cents worth. ;D

trevorgreycattleco

Doc my cows we all be bred A.I. this spring to Captain Obvious and will be cleaned up with a bull from Rob Sneed. A 034 son. I am not trying to be the turd in the punch bowl here but rather want to share my expierences in this breed. I have shipped cattle from all breeds including a 10,000 angus cow that frankly didn't produce. If a line works and works well i will be the first one to say so and give praise where it is due. I have no favorites or ax to grind, I am interested in producing cattle that perform on MINIMAL inputs. Maybe I have just pushed my cattle harder than most who knows. I don't have a cattle degree in fact I am a turfgrass major and I want my cows to work hard for me. I provide optimum pasture for them to flurish on and those that don't simply go to town. I feel it is my duty as a seedstock breeder to test my herd and see what is actually capable of on minimum inputs( like most commercial outfits). Over a 5 year period it became perfectly clear who the comers and goers where. I look at it like this....... if you have a employee who is always the first person to stop for lunch and the last one to go back to work, would you consider them effecient? No way. This is how I run my cows. I found those genetics to be that employee. It has cost me alot of time and money to get rid of and build back my herd. I personally don't know Mr. Sullivan nor do i have any proof of his wrongdoing, however this would be his third breed in his career and that in my mind is a red flag. He is the shorthorns breeds Lebron James if you will, you can't beat him in the show ring and I respect that but if his cattle were the real deal how come ABS or Genex or Select have yet to get a better hold of the rope? If he had something to offer the commercial beef sector I highly doubt they would just ignore him. he is in the best position any of us could ask for, I just wish he would let the cattle sort themselves and stop playing the pedigree game. Maybe there are some genetics out there I don't know about that are doing great for someone. good for them. My bread and butter is selling all natural grass fed beef, thro trial and error I can tell you the 7026 line is the best Shorthorn line I have identified to excel in this. Not only do they  gain and finish rapidly, they taste great and the females make super deep easy keeping females. My first 7026 son came from Leveldale and he did a wonderful job. Captain Obvious has begun to prove himself as a great bull and I am excited to see how his calves do on just grass. My bull from Sneeds I hope wil do the same. I have no problems with making making money off club calves, good for you, I can't compete with that stuff nor do I want to. I think they have there place. If you where the ASA would you say anything to your biggest cash cow about his epd"s? I would but they are not me. I get it. It's business. His cattle won't ruin the breed, he has helped it a lot I will admit. Alot of happy juniors is a good thing. My bottom line is I want my cows to work for me produce a great carcass on minmum input and turn a profit. I will just go back and do what i do and leave it at that.

sue

Ok I know that SULL is not pasture type cattle but if you were going to use one of those bulls on a PASTURE TYPE COW which one would you use??? 

shortdawg

Sue, You probably can't get Primetime semen but he is awesome.

I've been through  a lot of the big Shorty Breeder's herds and most all have some good cattle but the two with the most consistently good cattle were Sullivan's and WHR.  When I walk through cattle I look at everything - structure, udders, etc. and I was very impressed with these herds. Most good breeders are forward thinkers and select quality outside genetics to incorporate into their herds that they think will work. I sure think John Sullivan or any other good breeder would do this to appeal to a wider section of the cattle industry. I think Sullivan is a smart breeder and would not waste his time on raising cattle that would not perform. They have a lot of success in the showring but I think his cattle have produced some great breeding females and bulls as well. I would suggest those of you who have not visited his farm to do so as well as visit other breeders farms. There is a lot to be learned by looking at and talking cattle with folks that have reached levels where you would like to be with your own herd. I've yet to find a breeder that wasn't willing to show off their cattle and just enjoy chewing the fat.

OH Breeder

sue said:
OH Breeder said:
I think where the person is getting the full brother statement is from the No Bull Catalog.
Lot 8 says

Roan Goose was the lead bull in our Champion Pen of Five. He possesses above average IMF (3.71), REA (16.8), and huge testicles. He is a full sib to breed greats Grey Goose, Asset and Eldorado. Proven and productive genetics in a well designed phenotype.

Confusing..... ??? Eldorado is a Trump so not sure why they put that in the catalog.

Ohio Breeder - can you answer my question? Would you use Asset over the other bulls I listed ( i know some of it I cannot get) but what have you seen by the other bulls? I think if I was looking for a carcass or calving ease bull i would have been on a different post  ? Really just  looking at a show heifer mating .

Sent you a PM.

My own personal experience- the Eldorado's that I have seen have been really nice calves.

kfacres

shortdawg said:

I've been through  a lot of the big Shorty Breeder's herds and most all have some good cattle but the two with the most consistently good cattle were Sullivan's and WHR.  When I walk through cattle I look at everything - structure, udders, etc. and I was very impressed with these herds. Most good breeders are forward thinkers and select quality outside genetics to incorporate into their herds that they think will work. I sure think John Sullivan or any other good breeder would do this to appeal to a wider section of the cattle industry. I think Sullivan is a smart breeder and would not waste his time on raising cattle that would not perform. They have a lot of success in the showring but I think his cattle have produced some great breeding females and bulls as well. I would suggest those of you who have not visited his farm to do so as well as visit other breeders farms. There is a lot to be learned by looking at and talking cattle with folks that have reached levels where you would like to be with your own herd. I've yet to find a breeder that wasn't willing to show off their cattle and just enjoy chewing the fat.

ya I'd hope an unlimited checkbook could buy you consistancy and high quality...

shortdawg

kfacres said:
shortdawg said:

ya I'd hope an unlimited checkbook could buy you consistancy and high quality...

I've seen a lot of people with fat checkbooks buy crap b/c someone told them they were good. I'd say if a guy buys quality he must know how to recognize it. Have you ever been to his place and went through his cattle  just maybe to see what kind of fellow he is ?  He's really a down to earth guy and has treated me well. His story about how that supply business started is one everyone should hear.

shortyjock89

THANK YOU! If you don't know someone, you shouldn't talk crap. I know John personally, and before I talked to him I figured he would be kind stuck up and just "that guy". Well, to be honest, I can call or text John at any time and he will get back to me and answer any questions I have. I only have one heifer from him, but she is the first of many. 

justintime

I agree with shortdawg and OFS, and would say that the Shorthorn breed and any other breed should be proud to call John Sullivan it's member and fellow breeder. There are few I have ever met, that are as down to earth, as easy to talk to, and as keen and open minded as this man is. He has been successful in his show supply business, his cattle breeding business, as well as his other business interests, which speaks for itself. I just wish we could clone him rather than some of his cattle. Any breed could use a bunch more breeders like John Sullivan. If anyone doesn't believe what we have been saying, then jump in a vehicle and head to Dunlap IA and see for yourself. John will show you the good ones, and he will also show you the less than good ones and will tell you why he thinks they are not as good.

trevorgreycattleco

JIT I never assume someone is any type of person until I meet them . Guess growing up around politicians all my life has helped me not to judge someone until i know them. I study shorthorns pretty hard. I read ALL your ads from Sulls to JIT to even you shortdawg lol. I try to learn about everyone the good and bad. I'm not saying he is  bad just question a few things. So for all those that have been there, whats his feeding program? calves get creep? What are the cows fed in the winter? What does he feed his bulls? IMO if he is getting weights like he says, he is either A.) pushing them very hard on feed or b.) he is lying about there age. I HIGHLY doubt the performance that he claims is there.I hope I am wrong. And by the way I am just a little tiny operation in Ohio so who cares what I really think anyway, sure won't change anything. Maybe my pasture testing I did was a fluke but I know what I saw. All of those that have bought cattle from him, how do they hold up for you? How do you feed them? would you say the performance is there? are you getting a good bang for your buck? I do see him using a Meadow Lane son and I applaud that.That may be a bull he keeps around awhile. I just think when a breeder finds something that works , you stick with it and linebreed it for generations i.e. N Bar Ranch, or OCC. I don't see OCC bringing in many new bloodlines or need to. Ask Rob Sneed about bringing in A.I. sires and how much it helped him. You would be suprised by his answer, I know I was. Rob has found what works for him and is sticking with it. I am a FIRST generation farmer and if my herd is not filled with my prefix on the bulls and cows in ten years , I have screwed up again. I have a goal and a hopeful plan for my herd. And it all is beginning with linebreeding my own cattle. Trump has been linebred enough to know if it works. By Sull looking out for new genetics it tells me it didn't met his expectations. JMO. I just want to get everyone thinking a little bit. <beer>

BadgerFan

kfacres said:
it is a matter of time before linebreeding so heavily around Trump causes another genetic defect.

Linebreeding does not cause genetic defects.

lightnin4

Wow!  I really opened a can of worms with this thread!  Seriously though, I think this is great.  As someone who is new to the Shorthorn breed, the opinions expressed in this tread really give some good insight into the breed.  I have my own opinions on what I want out of my cattle and I hope to get to visit some other farms and see what works firsthand. 

oakbar

You know, it gets really old hearing people getting bashed!!  Especially, when the bashers, self admittedly, don't know any of the specifics of the operations they are bashing.    What part of "PICK UP YOUR PHONE AND CALL JOHN"  or "GO VISIT HIS FARM IN DUNLAP"  don't you understand?    You admitted you don't know his feeding program or anything else about his operation, so until you do,  talk directly to the man himself---not the rest of the world on an open forum!!  I am not a big time spender--in fact, I've only purchased one inexpensive animal from John, but he and his staff still treat me well and, unless they prove otherwise,  I'll treat them the same way.

I'm not defending the SULL name, the Trump lines or any other speicific entitiy, but  all breeders including those of you making the negative comments.  I would respectfully ask that before you publicly bash other breeder's livestock and their reputation that you at least "man up" enough to go see his operation for yourself and talk directly with the people you are commenting on.  Then, if you have a strong negative opinion, share it face to face with others --not on a public forum!!  I'm sure that's what you would ask others to do for you!!  Making opinionated, negative comments on SP or any other public forum is almost certainly counterproductive to selling your own animals as well.  It certainly would  give me second thoughts about meeting a person with that little regard or respect for other fellow cattle breeders!!  JMHO         

kfacres

BadgerFan said:
kfacres said:
it is a matter of time before linebreeding so heavily around Trump causes another genetic defect.

Linebreeding does not cause genetic defects.

It might not cause them, but it sure propigates them...  How did curly calf come up  1680 maybe???  TH- Improver????  on and on...  It'll be a matter of time before something clicks... 

Doc

sue said:
Ok I know that SULL is not pasture type cattle but if you were going to use one of those bulls on a PASTURE TYPE COW which one would you use??? 

Sue , Look at SMF Solution. He's not a SULL bull , but he is a Solution son & out of a heck of a cow.