Tail Problem

Help Support Steer Planet:

jagster

Actually, I don't know how big a problem this is, but my daughter's steer has had a habit of constantly holding his tail up in the air, especially when he's nervous.  Other than being a bit nervous, we think he's a good steer and should have a shot at doing some good at the shows.  How big a deal is the tail in the air?  Is this something a judge would not like?  Is there anything we can do about it?  Thanks for any help anyone can provide!

cowboy_nyk

It's pretty common actually.  It really changes the steer's appearance and should be corrected.  The most common solution is to put a plastic zip tie around the tail just under the tailhead and pull it as tight as you can.  As the circulation is cut off, the tail will fall asleep and lay flat.  Just remember - only put the tie on 15-20 mins before you go in the ring and make sure you cut it off right after.  You wouldn't want to cause permanent damage.

RasorFarms

That's pretty interesting cowboy_nyk, I've never heard of that method.  We usually just use the showstick and kind of pull the tail back in place when in the ring, though it can be a bit irritating when the calf immediately lifts it back up! 

cowboy_nyk

I used to try that but I had a heifer that constantly was lifting her tail so I tried this method, which I had seen others do before.  Works good as long as you give it enough time for the tail to fall "asleep".  In fact I just had to use it at my last show because my bull calf was enjoying the belly scratch a little too much and kept raising his tail.

jagster

Thanks for the tip cowboy.  Sounds like it is worth trying.  Other than tying brick to his tail I was at a loss.  I know there may be other ways, but I don't want to get anyone riled up with an ethics discussion. The zip tie sounds like the way to go.  I'm going to try it. Thanks.