Tell me what you think of my steer

Help Support Steer Planet:

garett

Just wanted to know what you all thought of my steer, go ahead and criticize him or what ever  just tell me what you think of him, hes out of a pb Angus cow and the bull All In,  he also needs a name so its open to any suggestions, thanks to you all in advance

garett

Attachments

• new 022.JPG
    new 022.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 596
  • new 018.JPG
    new 018.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 586

KDSC

he toes out, not much bone, light quarter, and he isnt super thick, I asume he is a county steer??

If you dont mind me asking whats the red building in he last picture?? also whats the horse lead rope doing on the fence? is it atachted to the rope halter??

OH Breeder

Garrett,
First what is the goal for the calf- county fair jackpots 4-H or just for fun.
Looks like he has some hair which is always forgiving. Might be smaller boned and smaller made. WHen you clip him up loosk like he has a nice extended neck and strong top line. Might be a little weaker in his quarter but should make you a decent calf.

Telos

Garret, as you probably already know... we can be pretty critical on these pictures. From the picture he looks to be a good feeding kind of calf. He has that perfect hair to clip on; long, black, fuzzy with a little kinkiness to it. It will be fun clipping him out. Have fun with him.

He probably will not be the heaviest muscled calf at the show, but you can take advantage of how you feed and present him. To me, the the fun of it is how well you can make him look. Just enjoy taking care of him and learn as much as you can. Good luck.

garett

First of all thanks for the re-sizing, I wasnt for sure how big the pics wpuld turn out. He will be for my county fair and a few others around but nothin real big. I would like to clip him but he hasnt been broke for very long so i am a little timid.  The little red shed is just our feed shed, and the lead rope is tied to the end of my halter so i could have some exrta rope in case he decides to run off with me.  I would like to get him clipped and pictures out on here but i dont know if that is going to happen very soon.
Anyways thank for any of your comments or criticism!

garett

garybob

He is very good on his back feet, with enough heel pad. Best Show-Steer I've seen posted on here, as far as feet are concerned. I'll bet he had a good Mama.

Welcome to Our Hodgepodge of Humanity,

GB ;D

shortyjock89

garybob said:
He is very good on his back feet, with enough heel pad. Best Show-Steer I've seen posted on here, as far as feet are concerned. I'll bet he had a good Mama.

GB ;D

I'm just gonna ask a question here, and please don't take this the wrong way. How can he be the best footed steer if he turns out so badly? I don't know if you mean his feet alone or not.

garybob

shortyjock89 said:
garybob said:

GB ;D

I'm just gonna ask a question here, and please don't take this the wrong way. How can he be the best footed steer if he turns out so badly? I don't know if you mean his feet alone or not.
Oh, young Neophyte! Examine  His rear foot, in regards to depth of heel. then, Li'l Bro, compare his hoof angle to the Black 'n White calf in New Mexico. The Spotted steer's Coronet Band touches the ground, but the Black steer's doesn't. Rear Feet with ample heel pad get cattle around in my  flinty,hilly environment lots better than cattle that don't "toe out" on their front feet, yet have bad REAR feet.

GB

shortyjock89

garybob said:
shortyjock89 said:
garybob said:

GB ;D

Oh, young Neophyte! Examine  His rear foot, in regards to depth of heel. then, Li'l Bro, compare his hoof angle to the Black 'n White calf in New Mexico. The Spotted steer's Coronet Band touches the ground, but the Black steer's doesn't. Rear Feet with ample heel pad get cattle around in my  flinty,hilly environment lots better than cattle that don't "toe out" on their front feet, yet have bad REAR feet.

GB

Okay, I understand how he has a better rear hoof now, but he turns out on his back legs too..won't that affect the way he gets around later in life? Would having a "turn-out" problem affect the way that the hooves wear down/grow?

Oh and, garret, I'm really not trying to bash your steer, he's really pretty and has excellent feet as GB says, I'm just trying to learn a little here too.

garett

aww its ok  just dont say anything to mean....haha jk

garett           

shortyjock89

Lol okay, and if I do say anything too mean, my cattle aren't perfect and when I post some pics, you can let loose on 'em.

AAOK

Garrett,
Let me try to explain what you have in this steer.  He's not a Show Steer regardless of what garybob says(he does have a very good heel pad).  He is too light boned, too short bodied, has too short of a neck, and is too round in his hip.  He does have great hair, and I think you could do well with him in your county if you have a Judge looking at more of a carcass contest.  Many county shows seem to go that way simply because of the type steers entered.  In my opinion, if you get this steer going right now on a good finishing ration, and mineral, and push him hard on feed all the way, he could finish at 1100 + pounds and cut really well.  Sorry, no ribbons.  He will be some real good meat in the freezer. 

farmboy

depends on the competition at his fair, with enuff hair and good finish, he could do well... the goal i guess is to get a good product on the table, whether its burgers or steaks

itk

Never underestimate the stupidity of county fairs. The steer in your avatar looks decent so if you get this one done in time he has a shot. TM Dazzler the National Champion Shorthorn bull from last year did not win a bull show at a little county fair here in Kansas and there were only 2 bulls showing. Wayne Temple always tells me if you want to get a great one beat take it to a county fair. So much of what happens at a county fair has to do with condition. If you get the calf fat enough he should at least stand decent, if he doesn't win. I have found that fair boards and judges have to many agendas at the county level to have anything be a sure bet to win.

garett

hey a big thanks to anyone who has posted anything about my steer, even though i dont like reading about whats wrong with him i still appreciate you telling me this stuff, hey maybe it will help me in the long run  ???

garett

glad to see you guys can get some use out of the pics I posted. This steer reminds me of this black steer I had last year.He was massive up front but when you get behind him there was pretty much nothing there.From the pics I can't tell what he has up top.At my county fair the judges don't seem to care to much about soundness with a market steer, but others may be different.Like everyone else has said, get him finished, thats one way to place better.My steer got 2nd out of 7 calves, the funny thing is his half brother beat him lol.But if he hadn't been finished he would of been in that 7th spot.Good luck with him.

garett

Hey all,

Just some updated pics of my steer, it was really warm last weekend so i rinsed him and blew him out and decided to take some pics

He's got a little kleen sheen in him, then blown out
Tell me what u think of him now, the first pics he didnt look to well

He still needs to be clipped, but im afraid to just do it
These probably need to be resized but here they are

Attachments

• Steer 012.JPG
    Steer 012.JPG
    1.5 MB · Views: 196
  • Steer 004.JPG
    Steer 004.JPG
    1.4 MB · Views: 241