Temperament EPDs

Help Support Steer Planet:

DL

Well I sorta stole this idea from NHRs post on temperament in ET calves that generated some interesting ideas and thoughts - given that we know that temperament is (as Cowboy says) 98% genetics and 98% environment (that means either 2 or 4% phase of the moon) what bulls do you think consistently throw snotty calves (1 star) and what bulls throw puppy dawgs? (10 stars)

Starting with my 2 cents for the purebred Maines (actually Gains is a fullblood)
10 star = Topper
1 star = Harding's Capitol Gains (Cunia x Youlanti)

Have at it - I know there are some goof balls out there  ;)

justme

****Stockman
***-Smithbuilt calves
***Iceman
* Full Flush
*Pale Face (my experience with them)
* all my angus lol they are nasty boogers

dori36

dragon lady said:
Well I sorta stole this idea from NHRs post on temperament in ET calves that generated some interesting ideas and thoughts - given that we know that temperament is (as Cowboy says) 98% genetics and 98% environment (that means either 2 or 4% phase of the moon) what bulls do you think consistently throw snotty calves (1 star) and what bulls throw puppy dawgs? (10 stars)

Starting with my 2 cents for the purebred Maines (actually Gains is a fullblood)
10 star = Topper

Of course this is all "tongue in cheek" as not everyone will have had snotty calves from the "snotty bulls" and some will have snotty calves from the "puppy dawg" bulls.  With that caveat, I submit EXT for snotty Angus offspring and Pine Drive Big Sky for Angus puppy dawgs.  For Lowlines, I submit Quartermaster for "snotty bull" calves for consideration and my own bull, ABF Fitz S219 for a producer of puppy dawg calves.

justme

Farmboy...I have a HeatseekerxPale face I'd love you to have fun with lol

garybob

All jokes aside, aren't Limousin cattle being evaluated for disposition, with an EPD for temperament?

farmboy

i just know that the crazy ones taste good ;D we had a heifer butchered last year at 1500

-she jumped over the gate seperating her from the others
-she ran around the barn lot all day looking for away out
-she kicked at us and the list goes on

jimmyski

garybob said:
All jokes aside, aren't Limousin cattle being evaluated for disposition, with an EPD for temperament?

garybob,
You are correct when you stated that the Limousin breed has came out with an EPD for disposition. They knew they had a problem and are working hard to try and fix it. There are a few other breeds that should look into this as well.

garybob

jimmyski said:
garybob said:

garybob,
You are correct when you stated that the Limousin breed has came out with an EPD for disposition. They knew they had a problem and are working hard to try and fix it. There are a few other breeds that should look into this as well.
I'm not so sure they had a problem as much as a widespread misconception that all Limis are "loco". You know, just like evrybody associates prolapses and balloon teats with Herefords. Cancer Eye, too. Saw some good Herefords at the neighboring County's Fair.

OH Breeder

10- Direct Hit
-10 Heatseeker
3 Dr. Who
10 Kadabara
8 Sonny
9 Double Vision
4 Debull
1 Lucy Boy
10 plus Gizmo DL- you will love there sweet dispostion. My Direct Hit x Gizmo is an absolute baby. Sweet, and a bit of a little piglet.

OH Breeder

I have had a couple heatseekers, and if you get one that is tempermental. they can be dangerous. One nephew had his arm broke heatseeker steer.
I am not a fan of Dr Who. But that is my limited experience.

afhm

I have had real good luck with the Flushes and their attitudes, I know many others have had many problems with them.
bad
Dr. Hook
Lucy's Boy
EXT
Sugar Ray
Warhorse
Full Charge
Shock N Awe
TJ

can go either way
Heat Seeker
Full Throttle
Full Flush
Who Made Who
Lifeline
Direct Hit
Deja Vu
DeBull
Heat Wave

good
Payback
Ali
Ammo
Hannibal
Xray Vision
Godfather
Ice Pick
Irish Whiskey
Carney Man
Habanero
Witch Doctor
Bush's Flashback

Joe Boy

DL great topic.

I would like to see AI sires rated on disposition, feed and legs, as well as udders and teats, and maybe longevity.

Lifeline would be 8 or 9 great disposition with 1 out of 20 having a nasty attitude.

Ali 9-10.

Pistol Pete and Habanero can go either way, some great and some poor.

Limted Edition 9.

Sugar Ray 1.

Telos

Oh Joe Boy, You could give Mr. Nice guy, Sugar Ray, a negative 10 and still favor him on disposition. He was the King of Mean.

CAB

As far as the Limi's go, one bull almost single handedly gave the breed it's bad rep. Atlantic 757. They were nuts & he was a very popular bull.
  I've never bred any Sugar Ray, but have been thinking about him alot the last 2 years because of his maternal value and extension. Are his prodgeny as crazy as you all seem to think ,or is some of it environment? I see my cattle twice a day and can get my hands on some calves out in the pasture.

TJ

dori36 said:
dragon lady said:

10 star = Topper

Of course this is all "tongue in cheek" as not everyone will have had snotty calves from the "snotty bulls" and some will have snotty calves from the "puppy dawg" bulls.  With that caveat, I submit EXT for snotty Angus offspring and Pine Drive Big Sky for Angus puppy dawgs.  For Lowlines, I submit Quartermaster for "snotty bull" calves for consideration and my own bull, ABF Fitz S219 for a producer of puppy dawg calves.

You are correct... always exceptions to the rule.  FWIW, I've got a Quartmaster son (1/2 brother to Doc Holliday) & he is as gentle as a kitten!  I also owned a Qmaster 1/2 blood female that was the exact same way.  I've got a Fullblood Qmaster cow that is also very gentle (she'll sniff your hand in the pasture & stand still) & she only gets a little worked up if you are really getting aggressive with her (like during sorting a group, loading, etc.), but most full-sized cattle would be a whole lot worse in the same circumstances.  BTW, I did have a guy tell me that Qmaster heifers didn't have the best dispostitions, but I just figured that the herd that they were from (commercial recips & many with a touch of ear) was contributing to that more than the bull himself.  However, if you have also heard that Qmaster can produce some "snotty ones", I'll put more stock into it, because I know that you've been around many more Quartermasters that than I have.    

Like Fitz, Doc Holliday is as docile as they come.  The guy I bought him from said that the 1st time he clipped Doc, he didn't hardly move (even when clipping his head!!).  I thought he might have be n exaggerating until I clipped him myself without any problems whatsoever.  Hard to believe a 3 1/2 year old bull could be that docile without being bottlefed or show broke or worked with daily, etc., but Doc doesn't fall into any of those categories.          

JbarL

how's about  rockin d amubsh ? i no he is an older bull....just wonderin if anyone has any info on his offspring?  i have heard a few mention that alot of his progeny carry a bit of " snotts" as well  :-\  thanks for the topic dl.....jbarl