Ten bulls you want to see in a steer momma's pedigree

Help Support Steer Planet:

caldanmc

There was a post a while back asking for everyone's top ten clubby sires.  going through it, many people were saying that a bull makes great daughters, but isn't known for his steers.  So, I ask the question, what bulls do you want to see in a female's pedigree when you are selecting replacements?  Here are mine, and I realize that some can be linked to others (sire and sons are listed).

Meyer 734
Who Made Who
Traveler 6807
Foreplay
Chill Factor
Ali
3C Macho
Dr. Who
Strictly Business
Draft Pick

trademark

if u have all ten of those bulls or any other ten club calf bulls in one steers pedigree,  you will have a leg swinger for sure

Telos

If designing pedigrees for show steer production, I would like a cow herd to be primarily Macho x CTR Success ( Chi-Angus genetics) x 6807 influenced. IMO,those would be workable pedigrees especially with clubby  bulls.

caldanmc

trademark said:
if u have all ten of those bulls or any other ten club calf bulls in one steers pedigree,  you will have a leg swinger for sure

I am not saying that those ten bulls all need to be in one pedigree.  What I am saying is, in my experience, any of those bulls, when found in a female's pedigree, seem to click pretty well with many of the clubby sires for STEER PRODUCTION. 

ZNT

Telos said:
If designing pedigrees for show steer production, I would like a cow herd to be primarily Macho x CTR Success ( Chi-Angus genetics) x 6807 influenced. IMO,those would be workable pedigrees especially with clubby  bulls.

Telos,  is this my hint that I need to breed my CTR Success x 6807 cow to Macho?  Everything else has worked on her, so I am sure Macho would too. That would be some cool replacements!

knabe

personally, i'm more worried about the cows than i am the bulls since they seem to fix type more than the bulls.

knabe

by the way, ohlde has a nice semen catalog on his website now with nice pictures and info.

Telos

ZNT said:
Telos said:

Telos,  is this my hint that I need to breed my CTR Success x 6807 cow to Macho?  Everything else has worked on her, so I am sure Macho would too. That would be some cool replacements!

It was just a thought. You know how I like those replacement females. I don't really know if that would work as well as with some of those other new Simmis that are out there. LOL.

BadgerFan

knabe said:
by the way, ohlde has a nice semen catalog on his website now with nice pictures and info.

Knabe, will I run into maternal calving ease issues using OCC genetics for a base?  Especially since I mate the bottom end of the Angus herd for club calves and we all know you can get some big BWs with club calf bulls.

knabe

BadgerFan said:
knabe said:

Knabe, will I run into maternal calving ease issues using OCC genetics for a base?  Especially since I mate the bottom end of the Angus herd for club calves and we all know you can get some big BWs with club calf bulls.

don't know.  i would assume calving issues with any club calf anything.  to me, unassisted is just as if not more important than BW.  i have one cow that has had 70-90 lb calves everytime unassisted, and one time she had a 125 unassisted in about 20-25 minutes.  i have backed off the feed late in preg and would only use that bull on her and not the other ones again.

BadgerFan

don't know.  i would assume calving issues with any club calf anything.  to me, unassisted is just as if not more important than BW.  i have one cow that has had 70-90 lb calves everytime unassisted, and one time she had a 125 unassisted in about 20-25 minutes.  i have backed off the feed late in preg and would only use that bull on her and not the other ones again.

[/quote]

I agree, CE is much more important than BW.  In fact, I'd prefer higher BW as long as no assistance is required.  However, since the Ohlde genetics are documented to be lower CEM cattle, do you think that will lead to additional assists?  Let's say with SM sires of know genetics rather than the wildcard of club calf bulls.  Just asking as I believe you worked directly with Tim.

knabe

BadgerFan said:
Just asking as I believe you worked directly with Tim.

a very long time ago with much different cattle and lots of problems which probably explains a lot why he changed direction

LostFarmer

Whiplash is by Meyer out of a Cunia cow so I guess in a way he is on there.  (clapping)  I have been told that if you have Whiplash daughters you forget about the old man.  I hope Backlash is as good because I have 10 units of him going in tomorrow.  ;D