TH and PHA; how bad is it out there?

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowman

Almost every discussion at some point seems to elude to a need to rid the world of the genetic defects known as TH and PHA.

The difference between a genetic "mutation", such as double muscling, and a genetic "defect" like TH is............?

Nothing. Not really anyway. Maybe the guy who is behind the computer. They are both mutations. Subjectivity decides whether these mutations are "good" or "evil", and human nature is to classify them before we understand them. Now, I know the first argument will be that any lethal mutation is bad. Point taken, score one for that viewpoint, I agree. But some mutations have been classified as negative, selected against, and then later found to have value.

I would argue that immediate dismissal of these cattle as culls is shortsighted and naive. Evolution and genetic progress are driven by mutations. These are tools at your disposal to make better cattle. Obviously lethality is not the only thing involved in this mutation. Some say it is hair, bone size, etc. I think most would agree there is a phenotypic value or characteristic associated with these mutations. The fact is if there were no redeeming attributes to these animals, this problem would have taken care of itself years ago as the Maine Assoc. predicted.

Point: If you don't like it fine, don't use it. But do you not like it because you don't understand it? Or have you been beaten to death with horror stories and now you can't think logically?

Now maybe there's a geneticist out there about to make me his whipping boy and tell me all the reasons I am wrong. Fine, forget what I said above and answer me this...Have you personally ever experienced a TH/PHA lethality out of a cow you own?

If yes....

In the history of your operation how many TH/PHA deformed and dead calves have you had? What percentage of your lifetime calf death loss is attributable to TH/PHA?

For fun...

In the history of your operation how many calves have you lost to scours? Lightning? Coyotes?

Have you started an internet movement to cure scours, install lighting rods in all pastures, and eradicate coyotes yet???

I'm not trying to start a riot, just throwing out a different perspective.

kfacres

very well put O0  these "defects"/ mutations  have a place, just not at all places! 

Some might call these "show genes" (pop), due to no 'real' advantage in the 'real' world

jaimiediamond

A genetic defect is usually a genetic mutation and TH has occured in other species as well as cattle.  I am just going to throw it out there when lightening strikes that is pure bad luck but when you have a defective calf and you knew both parents were carriers that was just bad planning.  At least with scours and coyotes the calf was born with the chance of living... 

I have attached ZNT's blog and my previous topic for your reading :)

http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=25787.0
http://www.steerplanet.com/bb/index.php?topic=22124.0

cowman

"At least with scours and coyotes the calf was born with the chance of living..."  

Even a carrier * carrier mating has a 75% chance of survival, depending on your predator density you could call that a wash.  ;)

How many calves have you lost?

jaimiediamond

seems odd that that 25% is something anyone would want to risk? Perhaps being blond and all I don't get it but I can promise we don't lose 25% of our calf crop each year!!!!

kfacres

Welp, the way I see it.. but I'm just a dumb ace! O0

TH carrier x TH free= 50% TH Carrier 50% TH free
TH Carrier x TH carrier= 25% TH letal calf, 50% TH carrier, 25% TH free calf
TH Free x TH free= 100% TH Free

So by mating a TH Carrier to another carrier, yes you only *should* have a 25% chance at gettiing a defective calf...  but across a whole herd, 25% of your calf crop can really hurt.. one or two here and there, over a long time span- really won't hurt anything..  So I think that you are both correct, but on different levels.
Just my 2 Cents worth though.

gates98

I can see both sides of this,  I chose to sell all of our carrier cows and only use clean bulls because I felt that was the best thing for the breed as well as our herd,  and it was an EXPENCIVE choice.  However I know that the "numbers" say carrier on carrier 25% dead calf, I don't see this as accurate or even close.  We used many carrier on carrier mattings before we knew it and every calf was fine. On the other side of that almost every calf out of our carrier cows was a carrier.  The "math"  doesn't add up,  I think there is still a lot we do not know.
2- There are many gambles that club calf breeders take every breeding season that are worse than TH and PHA.  A LOT of clubby bulls throw cripples and dinks that while  are alive and will get sold make very little or loose money in the end,  all while trying to get that "one" calf to get ahead.  It all comes back to choice and the simple fact that there are two worlds,  show and commercial. And not every one has to be in the same.

OKshorthorn

We have lost 2 calves to TH, both were from matings with a clean up bull that was supposed to be clean, and both females have since been removed from our herd.

I can understand why someone breeding for steers would breed a carrier and non-carrier hoping to get a carrier bull calf (assuming the genetic defect actually enhances hair and bone) but under no circumstance can I understand why anyone would knowingly take the risk of breeding two carriers together. The logistics do not add up to me.

Say one herd has 10 TH free cows and another herd has 10 TH carrier cows. They are both under the impression that to get a purple ribbon steer it has to be a TH carrier so they both breed all their cows to a TH carrier bull. By the percentages assuming all 10 cows are bred. Herd A with 10 free cows will end up with 5 carriers and 5 non-carriers. Herd B with have either 2 dead and 3 TH free or 3 dead and 2 TH free along with 5 TH carriers. The resulting offspring from both herds will have yielded 5 TH carriers (which is what they were breeding for) only herd A will have 2 or 3 more calves to sell than herd B.

Now, I suppose someone could raise the arguement that the 10 TH carrier cows are superior to the free cows so that there offspring with be superior and you could make more money selling their offspring to offset the dead ones. I guess I don't really have an answer to that other than you are more cold blooded than I am. I care for my cattle, I enjoy watching them nurse their baby and look after it, I honestly feel sorry when we lose a calf and the mother searches for a week trying to find it, and I will not knowingly impregnate one of my cows with a potential deadly combination.

In my operation, which is small, I do have a couple carrier cows that are fairly old now, can't really afford to sell them at this point, but I can say that we don't plan on ever using another bull that is a carrier.  

cowman

Listen, I am not condoning breeding carriers to carriers at all. But a little common sense allows you to easily navigate a breeding season and manage carriers.

hamburgman

I didn't read everything on here, i apologize just don't really want to take time to read a lot of stuff that i have read before.  My take on TH and PHA is if you are going to run a large commercial herd, you should just make sure your bulls are double clean.  Club calf herds are a different story, seems like 90% of the people i talk to want that TH gene for butt, bone and hair.  I have seen enough calves to wonder myself if all those genes are linked.  If you want a winner, you want that gene (in general).  So advocating for complete elimination until a double clean sire comes along that blows heatwave and his sons out of the water is useless.  This is really nothing more than a lethal red gene is how i explain it to people.  Think of always trying to prevent a red calf from being born.  It is possible and manageable and you can use double red bulls if you have done your homework.  People who want to go through that work to create a winner should be allowed to without being told they are destroying the industry.  I agree with the worries about those cows going through the sale barn, i feel it is justified.  If you buy from an unknown source and choose to use carrier bulls however, I feel there are other serious management issues.

oakbar

I think the whole question is that as long as you know what the animal is you can breed around it if you choose.  However, once the gene gets into the commercial herds(which it already has) people may not know its there and it can really bite you.  For example:  the year before we had a test for TH I lost 3 calves with the condition.  I crossed bulls that were very popular at the time,(I found out later one was positive for both TH and PHA) to three of our best cows which were also carriers but we had no way of knowing that.    3 calves may not sound like much to a large commercial guy, but unless he wants to test each of his crossbred cows and buy only bulls that have been tested, how would he really know if he has the gene in his herd??  He could conceivably suffer some extreme losses from breeding decisions he made several years ago. 

I often wonder what gene we are unknowingly propagating right now that will eventually cause harm in the industry.  JMHO

knabe

look how many generations it took to finger PHA and any of the other defects when, if testbreeding was practiced, we potentially would have fewer problems.

but we can't do that because ext sucks.

J

JTM

We had one PHA calf and the cow died too. One of the worst experiences with cattle I have had. C-section, still couldn't get it out.

Anyways, I think that as seedstock producers we need to minimize any potential losses for our customers as we can. A lethally defected calf doesn't get the chance to get treated for scours or respiratory disease, so it is a loss that can be avoided before breeding decisions are made. Just like a commercial breeder wants a low birthweight bull on heifers, he wants to strive to keep a herd that is defect free. As long as purebred seedstock producers and club calf producers keep breeding to lethal genetic defect cattle, there will always be commercial breeders who end up with losses because of it. There will always be commercial breeders who buy groups of females unregistered with breeding unkown and breed them to a bull which the seller thinks the defect shouldn't be there and doesn't test. Who is at fault? Everyone involved...

jackpotcattle

Humans make dumb choices. I have a good friend who has a daughter with a muscle disease, which both parents have to be carriers. She was their first born and they are getting ready to have their 4th! The eldest daughter is the only one who has it, but will probably die by age of 7 by suffocating because her muscle's will not work.

I use carrier bulls for steer production. Have kept a total of only 10 possible carrier females which have never been bred to a carrier bull and no replacements have been kept out of them. I have nothing against using carriers, I do believe it is breeder resposibility to honestly represent cattle that may be carriers. Can't believe how many HW bred heifers have been selling the last 2 yrs and hardly any of them tested. I always assume they are until tested.

cowman

jackpotcattle said:
Can't believe how many HW bred heifers have been selling the last 2 yrs and hardly any of them tested. I always assume they are until tested.

OK, now you're on to something. While I've said I believe they are manageable defects, I see VERY few of the farms even attempting to manage the situation. Look at the major sales this year alone. Every sale will tout the productivity and commercial viability of the group "with show ring appeal", then you look at the animals and they're out of 50% + TH carrier bulls.  Where's the responsibility?? Let's be honest, they've probably been tested and they're dumping the carriers. Hey, it's Denver week, you don't have to look hard to find examples.

knabe

cowman said:
I see VERY few of the farms even attempting to manage the situation

they are managing the situation.  they are selling them.  the are probably testing the one's they want to keep and getting rid of the rest.

what's clear is they don't manage the situation for everyone else.

CAB

knabe said:
cowman said:
I see VERY few of the farms even attempting to manage the situation

they are managing the situation.  they are selling them.  the are probably testing the one's they want to keep and getting rid of the rest.

what's clear is they don't manage the situation for everyone else.

You have to love this statement!!

chambero

I would love to see a roundtable discussion of major college professors and steer show judges put together to discuss this issues.

In order to get rid of it, all it would take would be a slight adjustment in framesize upwards in the steers these guys pick.

That being said, I use the heck out of the TH carrying bloodlines trying to get steers for my sons.  It's been proven to me that is what you have to do to have a chance to be competetive in Texas majors.  We keep a few of the females that are likely carriers and just manage them accordingly.  Most are making very good cows.

We do not buy carrier bulls. Keeps the management simple.