TH and PHA; how bad is it out there?

Help Support Steer Planet:

firesweepranch

knabe said:
cowman said:
I see VERY few of the farms even attempting to manage the situation

they are managing the situation.  they are selling them.  the are probably testing the one's they want to keep and getting rid of the rest.

what's clear is they don't manage the situation for everyone else.
OK, so I am going to play devil's advocate here. First, let me say that I in no way endorse breeding carriers of defects (we have a slew of them in the Simmental breed, and I think they are doing a good job of managing it), nor do I buy my cattle from auctions like Joplin or Springfield in MO. But, if I want to sell a few cows or heifers because I know they are carriers, or dump my recent bad luck with the heifer that had the huge calf and no milk, is it my fault if someone buys her at a large auction and takes her home and breeds her? If I dump carriers at a terminal market like that, I am assuming someone will buy her for slaughter. If someone takes her home and tries to breed her and ends up with a train wreck, is that my fault? I think not.
Now, if I go to a repeatable sale with breeders represented, and I buy a heifer or cow that ends up being a carrier and was not advertised as so, is it the breeders responsibility to make things right, even though I know her genetics and possibility of being a carrier? I do not think so either.
So, this is why I like the Simmental sales. Starting this year, they are supposed to list if an animal is a known carrier or possible carrier of any current defects Simmental tracks. You can also do your homework and check the website and look at her gene track. I know I have a cow I bought at the Exposure sale in 2008 (as a heifer - the 3 C macho I have posted pics on here about), and she is tracked yellow, which means she COULD come from a carrier line (she is 1/4 Maine and 1/4 Angus). I can still register her calves, and they will be yellow also. BUT, if I want to use her as a donor, SHE MUST BE TESTED before any of her calves can be registered. This prevents the mass sale of embryos on the market that are unknown in status. I like that about the Simmental breed. I do not have to go through the expense of testing her IF I chose to only get natural calves out of her.   (pop)

chambero

knabe said:

You don't have to back up nearly that far.  Literally just go back to the size of steers that were winning 8-10 years ago.  I would be curious to hear the judges discuss how they got to the point that this one type of steer is unbeatable in the show ring.