TH and PHA testing questions

Help Support Steer Planet:

furinsilex

I have never had anything tested before but i was considering getting some calves and a few cows tested. what is everybodys opinion on is it worth it and is it realistic?
I looked up the only company i knew who did it and that was AgriGenomics how does thier prices compare to others? and who does everybody else use?
Once again i have never had anything tested and am fairly new to the testing procedure any info would be appreciated.

OH Breeder

furinsilex said:
I have never had anything tested before but i was considering getting some calves and a few cows tested. what is everybodys opinion on is it worth it and is it realistic?
I looked up the only company i knew who did it and that was AgriGenomics how does thier prices compare to others? and who does everybody else use?
Once again i have never had anything tested and am fairly new to the testing procedure any info would be appreciated.

Worth it realistic?- If you plan on selling cattle to other folks, I would strongly recommend it or definitely let the buyer know you are using carriers and do not test.

There is only one company that does the testing. Depending on what breed of cattle that you are testing you would go to your breed association to find the appropriate forms. It is 27 for TH and additional 27 think for PH. If you have animals that are potential for both, then test for both. You should test for what is at risk. If you have questions or suspect then test for both.
Most breed associaions are making it mandatory for breed sponsored sales.

There are lots of post on here about TH and PH. If you use the search function you can review some of them. Or just personal message and I will give you more information if I can.

Hope that helps.

Show Heifer

THe test is accurate, and soon might be offered from another company, but right now, Agrinomics is the company that did the research and own the test. Allow plenty of time for results as they are a small company that is set up for genetic research, not handling thousands of request for IMMEDIATE results (You know the saying, "Procrastination on your part does not make it an immergency on mine!)

If you are just starting a herd, I would recommend you test everything and then go from there. Some surprises might arrise when a sire is named wrong on a pedigree, you know, AI calf and not herd bull, or herd bull and not AI. IF you are selling anything, I would test. It will go a long way in protecting you down the road IF their is any questions.

In short, I believe if the calf is worth registering or selling with your reputation in tact, spend the $48 and sleep at night!!!

Good luck and welcome to the complicated, opinionated world of cattle!!

red

some sales require a test. I'd never buy one anymore that hadn't been tested. It will also save you a lot of pain & the loss of a calf & possibly a good cow.

Red

furinsilex

Thanks for the info guys, we have alot of cows we have kept back out of Th or pha carrier sires and havent worried about testing and just bred them to clean bulls. But the only reason i was considering testing is to just find out so i can breed those that are clean back to carrier bulls.
Thanks for the info

REM

Red , I think you were right that it takes a little longer if you do not send the check with the samples . I just called to day and got my results over the phone they were waiting for billing before they sent out the results.