I'm sorry, could you do that with marbles??LOL

oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  gallowway
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  shorthorn thc
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  shorthorn thf from carrier line
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  shorthorn thf from free lines
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  other breed 1
oooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo  other breed 2

ELBEE

The Quane's Deerpark herd had only used bulls from their own herd since the 1940s when they disagreed with where the Shorthorn breed was going with their belt buckle cattle of that era. They simply kept their own bulls and eventually quit registering them as  well. They only sold breeding stock to a few local herds, who again kept unregistered stock.

Ain't it funny how quickly history repeats itself, and on another continent!

Telos

So good to see you back DL. Hope all is well. Was wondering why there were so many posts on this subject. This is good reading. (thumbsup)

As far as PHA. I believe we went back to a French bull named Univers as a possible carrier, but is impossible at this time to prove. The Sibelle cow may have been the dirty cow in Stinger's pedigree.

VJ

justintime said:
That is exactly how I have thought it would be spread into the commercial industry.I know of breeders who think nothing of selling their TH carriers to commercial breeders. One guy told me, " like who is it going to hurt... he is crossbreeding?" My point has been from the start of this defect issue's appearance is that we have no control over what happens in the future after you sell the commercial producer a bull ( or set of carrier females). The guy may like the calves and retain some daughters that are carriers. 10 years from now he may buy another carrier bull or AI some cows to a clubby carrier bull.

I had a TH calf two years ago from a cow that had Deerpark Improver back 9 generations. No other carrier bloodlines were used after that one shot of Improver... which only proves that this defect can be managed.... but you certainly have to study your lessons and know exactly what is in your cows for a long ways back.This was a female that I had purchased and the breeder had said she was TH free by pedigree. He had not researched the pedigree far enough on either the sire or dam. The sire of the TH calf had Improver back 6 generations, and I was aware of that, and thought that the sire was TH free because of the sale catalog statement that this lot was TH free by pedigree. I never assume anything anymore.

Maybe my assumption that "THF or PHAF by prdigree" meant both parents have been tested clean is an ignorant assumption??????????? Yikes! 

ELBEE

Don't feel stupid that's what it means to me too, and should mean to everyone. What we can't assume is the integrity of our fellow man.

ELBEE

"In herd", we test key individuals, and when all the gaps in pedigree have been filled, I am personally confident that TH is not present. But, by no means am I offended if a customer wants an individual tested. In fact, it's quite satisfying to get the results.

klintdog

I was looking through Lautner's catalog tonight and noticed that Chopper is listed as being TH and PHA free by pedigree.

aj

ELBEE...you are a good man your family is a great familiy. You have been breeding  cattle for decades. No one can question your program. Gosh darn it you are a cattle breeder and not a trader. I  tend to obver reaact but you are what you say and you say what you are.  I salute you.

Telos

Jill said:
Telos, just as an update our Exposure heifer had a heifer calf.

Jill, Congratulations on your new heifer calf. I'll bet she's a good one. What is her sire and can we see pics?

knabe

Telos said:
As far as PHA. I believe we went back to a French bull named Univers as a possible carrier, but is impossible at this time to prove. The Sibelle cow may have been the dirty cow in Stinger's pedigree.

it's either turquino or universe. dalton has both, paramount has both.

i can't remember, is maine event clean?  he's not on either list.  he's a line to pompon 6th (turquino's sire) without turquino.   BOVENTURE FLO is only other listed offspring through pompon 6th and is a dead end.

is bresil clean?