Thank you cowboy

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Terry, you've helped me 200%! After you gave us advice last year on a calf w/ swollen knees we fixed her right up. The other day another calf started to get the same symptoms. The hubby right away asked me what my cowboy friend had recommend. We're giving him the 3 day treatment w/ penicillin.

I really apreciate the time you gave me & the advice you've given countless others over the years!

Take care & know you have a fan in Ohio!

Red

fluffer

It does work!!!  We have had several calves with the same problem this year - Probably all the mud  :mad:  But a couple of days of hard core Pen. treatment and they are just fine!

Cowboy- your a life saver  ;D

Fluffer

red

I agree Fluffer! We try to keep everything well bedded but w/ this rain it is impossible to keep the manure & slop out. I'm also wondering if we'll see more foot rot problems!

Red

Cowboy

I didn't see this post till this evening, it was laready on second page.

Folks, Navel ill is a subtle bugger -- just because it is called NAVEL ill, the navel itself may never show any signs of the infection -- but it is the avenue of entry into the entire system on these newborns.

For lots of years, we have all heard the need to dip the navels with Iodine -- well -- I tried that a few times YEARS ago, and every darned one of them came down with all the symptoms of navel ill -- swollen knees, bucked over, shaking legs. It finally dawned on me that by the shear fact we were dipping them was actually burning the tissues enough to set off a reaction. I never did it again, and I haven't treated but 2 or 2 in years since. Go figure.!!

Thanks for the nice comments -- I appreciate your thoughts.

One word of caution however -- please do not fall for them looking all better after a dy or two -- make sure you give the entire week of effectiveness -- either with long acting penn 3 times every other day -- or 5-7 days of regular. Even thogh they look better -- too little length of time will actually let build imunity to it (Penn) and iof you need to retreat it will not work out so well.

Hope every one out East gets past this terrible storm pattern, you guys have had it rough this srping!

Take care all -- Terry
(thumbsup)

fluffer

red said:
I agree Fluffer! We try to keep everything well bedded but w/ this rain it is impossible to keep the manure & slop out. I'm also wondering if we'll see more foot rot problems!

Red

We have NEVER had this much MUD  :mad:  I am so frustrated!  We have our cows broke up into 3 groups.  1 group are the cows that aren't close to calving and they get the worst lot.  Then we have the cows that are close to calving, and they are basically in a mud run where the hay is, then they can get into a woods and come out into a pasture.  So far only 2 rips have calved in the mud, most calve in the woods or pasture.  THen as soon as they calve and we see the calf suck they get tagged and put out into a big pasture.  We are having a big problem with mastitis because of the mud.  It is then causing problems with the calves nursing.  Another precaution we took this year that we haven't in the past was scourguard.  I am glad we did too.  We have never had a problem with it because we usually keep things pretty clean and move cattle though the calving pastures pretty quick, but with the drought and mud  ??? this year, we decided to do it.  Plus calving is a little more drug out this year cause of aborts from fescue. 

We have probably had 6 calves have the swollen hocks out of about 30 that have calved thus far.

Red, if I recall your about done calving, right? 

Fluffer

red

Ok, Terry, I'm glad you posted. for some reason I was thinking just 3 days. We're giving 6 cc's. Continue for 2-3 more days?

Red

Cowboy

Good afternoon ALL !!

With this springs weather, I have been concerned about having a rash of navel issues this year country wide. It does come and go -- seems as though the more we try to prevent the stuff, the more it happens. Believe it or not, the cows we try to protect and calve in bedded barns and perfect conditions are the calves that seem to get it the most frequently. Go figure.

Any time you have a structurally correct calf that suddenly starts to stand with his front leggs bent and not locked at the knees, you are looking at the start of navel ill. They will seem normal in every way -- except that they will seem in pain, may lay down alot more than normal, will always seem to have a shakey-quiver to thier front leggs at the knees. This is a dead give away -- I do not automatically call these structure wrecks if they are not too straight -- this is navel ill.

Treatment is simple most of the time -- the sooner you start the faster and better it cures them.

Depending on the size of calf and the strength of the Penniccillin you have (*Normal or Long-acting forms*) will determin how much you give. The main thing you need to concentrate on is making sure they get a weeks worth of activity in the system.

That would be either daily with normal strength or every other day with Long-acting. It will say on the directions label how much per 100 pounds of calf. Normaly I just guess at 10ml per day for regular -- and adjust for the long-acting every other day. As you can see -- this simple treatment will save alot of very good calves from being crippled for life -- a few bucks of Penn ??????? -- it's a no brainer!

Best of luck to every one -- and yes by the way -- I have done my part to help Erin Steele -- sent a nice card and of course the Karma thing!

CHEERS

Terry
(thumbsup)

PS -- please read thru my typos, I hardly ever hit the spell check and get in a hurry at times with fat fingers!! hehe

red

thanks! I have to give credit to Gidget at Funky Stitches. She designed it for me.

Red

C-CROSS

We have also had great luck with a 3 day treatment of ticarcillin.  Only available througha vet though.

red

thanks so much Terry for talking to the hubby last night! He was really worried abouth the calf. We're going to try the next approach.

You're a true friend & lifesaver!

Red

shortyisqueen

Cowboy said:
For lots of years, we have all heard the need to dip the navels with Iodine -- well -- I tried that a few times YEARS ago, and every darned one of them came down with all the symptoms of navel ill -- swollen knees, bucked over, shaking legs. It finally dawned on me that by the shear fact we were dipping them was actually burning the tissues enough to set off a reaction. I never did it again, and I haven't treated but 2 or 2 in years since. Go figure.!!

We dip with Hibitane Teat Dip - its a very mild disinfectant used in dairies that seems to work pretty well. Granted, things are still very frozen when we calf, but we might have one case of Navel Ill a year out of 90 calves.

Cowboy

With the Iodine dip, I might have been adversely using the wrong formula, instead of thinking a little, I most likely didn't get the mild or killed version. The navel dipping thing has been a reccommendation for lots of years, but it sure didn't help mine. In retrospect, I may have had better luck by making sure we had used the milder kind.

Red -- you know me well enough that any time I can help I will. I do hope your calf starts to come around, it is possible he just needed a tad more per day -- those bigger calves are a little bit harder to get some times. Keep me posted, on the way out to do some more fence -- I just love the landlord hovering over us like a dead rabbit in vulture season. The more he tells, the LESS I want to do -- hehehehe!

Anybody needing a place taken care of -- that would fit this ET business as well as have a few cows -- let me know -- I feel the need for new grass!!!!! hehe

Terry

red

we use iodine but I might look into something else. The calf is better today but I think we'll still give him the Naxel.

Red

red

I think the calf is officaly better! I've been able to just push him into the pen. Tonight he fought & knocked me into the slop. The cow just missed stepping on me. I chased him all over,fell again so called the nephew for support. Of course he can just man handle him into the pen.

Now I'm covered in slop & have a corgi that was in it over his back! Phew, we stink!!! plus I screwed up my shoulder.

Red