The coffee lover's nook!

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

Since it's getting cold in most areas, I thought it would be fun to share some warmth! I'm a self confessed coffeeaholic! I love my coffee. Travel w/ a mug & coffee maker almost everywhere. I know there are other coffee lovers out there too!
Anyone had a really good brew that you want to share? Any great places around where you live? Good tips on how to make coffee? Or just some thoughts/opinions?
I just tried out Folger's Gourmet Vanilla Biscotti. Yummy to the max! It was really smooth w/ a great taste. Next on my list is Caramel Drizzle.
A dear friend has suggested taking a cup of coffee & adding a spoon full of Nutella to it. WOW! What a special treat.
Come on coffee lovers, send me your ideas!

Red (clapping)

knabe

i like coffee too, though i usually drink from a regular maker as i commute about 1.25 hours each way and don't have time mess with this

http://www.gizmag.com/go/5051/

i gotta say, it absolutely makes the best coffee i have ever tasted.  it really does make lower acid coffee by lowering the temp.  there are no fines anywhere.  the only problem is that it's kind of annoying to clean up and the amount it makes is too small.  i have a la pavoni espresso machine, which kinda does the same thing except for espresso.  the way i tell if a method is good is if you can keep making it stronger without it being more bitter.

i always turn off the pot immediately after i brew coffee as heat is the number 1 cause of bitterness. 

i think i like coffee from india the best as it's lower acid in type

i can't remember if i posted this before, but i've purchased scat coffee before from the phillippines.  basically, a civet

(cat type) animal picks uniformly ripe coffee beans, processes them, uh through the digestive tract and the beans are collected and roasted.  had a fuller taste, not bitter at all, kinda dark chocolatee.  here's a link

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kopi_Luwak
i can't find the link to the producer in the philippines (where i was born in subic bay military hospital, so yes, i can still be president!)

a spoof usually goes something like "good to the last dropping
you can purchase it for about $40.00/lb

Telos

I'm dead in the water without my java.  :-\

Hey Red, I like my coffee the same 3 ways I like the color of my cows. Black, black and black.  ;D

Until someone comes up with red coffee, black will always be my choice.  :D

common sense

MMMmmmmm, my weakness. my passion, my secret love...my MOTIVATION on most mornings!! (lol)  CW (a.k.a. Red) what a wonderful thread.  Telos, let me help you with the color thing.  Try adding a nice splash of Torani Raspberry syrup to your smokin' hot mug of java, top it with some savory whipped cream and scatter some raspberry sprinkles on top.  You could call it a Red Raspberry Moocowcino! At the moment I am sipping a decaf with a dash of vanilla syrup and a shot of creamy egg nog!  FESTIVE!!! AHHHHH  I have a Tassimo machine that makes one wonderful cup at a time of either coffee, espresso, or even hot cocoa.

Telos

At work we make a cold brewed coffee. Yes, no heat. We use this fancy organic stuff and put the coffee grounds in a jar of water. It is then refrigerated overnight and filtered the next day. It's pretty good, but a pain in the you know what to filter by hand. Knabe is right on about the heat. It can make coffee awfully bitter.

cowz

So.....Telos, do you use a French press or do you just let it brew on its own?  In glass or plastic?

I am hooked on toffee coffee.  Beans or with toffee creamer, I am hooked.    I love traveling where there are Circle K gas stations......good toffee coffee...Yum!

dori36

red said:
Since it's getting cold in most areas, I thought it would be fun to share some warmth! I'm a self confessed coffeeaholic! I love my coffee. Travel w/ a mug & coffee maker almost everywhere. I know there are other coffee lovers out there too!
Anyone had a really good brew that you want to share? Any great places around where you live? Good tips on how to make coffee? Or just some thoughts/opinions?
I just tried out Folger's Gourmet Vanilla Biscotti. Yummy to the max! It was really smooth w/ a great taste. Next on my list is Caramel Drizzle.
A dear friend has suggested taking a cup of coffee & adding a spoon full of Nutella to it. WOW! What a special treat.
Come on coffee lovers, send me your ideas!

Red (clapping)

Good and fun thread, Red!  My very favorite kind of coffee is that which is boiled in a tin can/pot over a campfire (that would be boiled) with no filter for the grounds.  You just strain 'em through your teeth.  Makes packing in the mountains even more of a great experience!  Here, in civilization, I used to just buy whatever (Maxwell House, Folgers, or whatever) I could get and brew it through a drip coffee maker.  I totally discounted Starbuck's as a gimmick and an overpriced yuppie addiction.  Well, now count me in among the addicted.  I finally, a couple years ago, broke down, spent the $, and bought some Starbuck's to brew.  Wow, I'm totally hooked!  I  prefer French Roast or Verona.  I like the whole bean so I can grind the beans myself.  To avoid the "scorched" flavor from the pot sitting on the warmer, I use a Mr. Coffee with a stainless carafe that the coffee brews directly into.  It stays hot long enough for my half day enjoyment and the coffee maker itself turns off after brewing.  I totally don't like any flavor or sweetening of any sort.  I figure if I want sweet, I'll make hot chocolate!  Black is my favorite color, too!

shorthorns r us

Telos said:
I'm dead in the water without my java.  :-\

Hey Red, I like my coffee the same 3 ways I like the color of my cows. Black, black and black.  ;D

Until someone comes up with red coffee, black will always be my choice.  :D

would that be GMO gone crazy?

Telos

cowz said:
So.....Telos, do you use a French press or do you just let it brew on its own?  In glass or plastic?

I am hooked on toffee coffee.  Beans or with toffee creamer, I am hooked.    I love traveling where there are Circle K gas stations......good toffee coffee...Yum!

Cowz, we just pour the coffee threw a paper filter after it has brewed in water for at least 12 hrs. Glass or plastic container would work. We use a plastic container at work. Do not think it would make a difference. I try to avoid too much sugar because I drink too much coffee and need to watch my calorie intake, but love the toffee coffee. Yum,yum. In Dallas there is a coffee shop on just about every corner. You have to be disciplined to stay away from them.

pigguy

Jill said:
maine12 said:
yuck coffee, i will stick with my pepsi
Agree 100%, love the smell, hate the taste.
heck yes i dont see how something can smell so good but taste so crappy :p. i will drink it if there is a bout a 1:1 ratio of coffee to cremer and sugar ;D but i am a pop-ahaolic i love pepsi, and dr.pepper ;D

renegade

I dont drink much coffee. At home maybe some black/sugar/cocoa and at school one of the art teachers sells cold coffee and you can get chocolate, vanilla or mix. I get chocolate with whip topping and carmel (not very healthy but very yummy) and its $3. I tried buying from starbucks ounce and it was waaaay too strong. the coffee i drink is creamy and smooth ... it looks easy to make but it doesnt taste the same when i do it but i do it with heated coffee and his is strained... everyone i know Loves it.  DIDO on Dr.Pepper

OH Breeder

COMPLETE and TOTAL JUNKY! O0 Starbucks - I should own stock. Also like Seattle's Best, Caribou pretty much any coffee.

In the winter when it gets a bit cold out, add a shot of Brandy to any cup of coffee.Will warm you up a bit.  For a little sweeter taste after dinner, mix coffee, Kalua, brandy and whip cream dusty with cinnamon and nutmeg. Sometimes you have to warm the liquor as it will cool the coffee.

Personally, I drink coffee cold hot warm.....stronger the better. The darker it is the better.
I just read a recent study that one cup of Starbucks regular coffee 16 oz. has 330 mg of caffiene. WHEW! THis is more than one Monster Energy drink or Red Bull. This would be why they are trying to decaf me for my blood pressure.

jason

Here is my coffee

st_redbull_f.jpg

red

I like my coffee black too but sometimes I want a little extra flavoring. That's why I like the different types of coffee. I also like to add a little flavored syrup to mine. I am using one that is Kahlua flavored. I guess if you can't have the real deal it's a close second! I've been thinking about trying a little peppermint in mine. I wonder how that will be?

What is the best type of coffee maker? It seems like we might have a few experts out there. I usually get money from my parents for Christmas & am thinking about splurging on a new coffee maker.

Love the responses! Also does anyone have a really good hot cocoa recipe? I mean the old fashioned kind.

Red

OH Breeder

Most probably know this but the secret with coffee is as soon as it is made to put it in a thermus. I have a Mr Coffee Thermal coffee maker. If you leave it set on a burner or hot plate, it cause the oil in the coffee to burn. Hence the "burnt" or "old taste". There are alot of Thermal COffee pots. I went to COnsumer Reports and looked up there recommended best buys. SOme of the pots don't really have a lining and don't keep coffee warm. My current coffee pot keeps it warm for 10 plus hours and it taste fresh!
Seattle's Best as a really good breakfast blend, I think its called morning fog. It is great taste. Starbucks- Italian Roast strong bold and House Blend. Columbian is really smooth.

red

that is a good tip! I am sometimes too lazy to remember my coffee carfe. I am making a freah pot right now & will put it in there.
I'll look at that coffee maker too. Common Sense, you old CP, tell me about all the neat coffee machines you have & what they do!

Red