THE MAN WHO DISCOVERED DIVIDEND_AND NEWER POSTS WITH DIVIDEND INFLUENCED CATTLE

Help Support Steer Planet:

mark tenenbaum

When I went to Ireland in 1992 the  main Breeders at that time were-Edward Quane-Deerpark, John Ncnally Highfield, O Niel of Ballyart, And certainly Kevin Culhane-Along with Paddy O Callahan their banker who had several exqisite shorthorn and Canadian Hereford Cows I was lucky Enough to visit them all .Quane had a small herd of COMPLETELY DIFFERENT AND UNIQUE FROM EACH OTHER  COWS SOME WERE QUITE BEAUTIFUL AND ALL HAD TRADITIONAL SHORTHORN COLORING He also had three bulls he was developing most were mostly red. All the other breeders all over Ireland bought bulls from Deerpark. He had about 15 heifers including blue roans in another field all 'sired" by Dividend Again other than the few blues pretty standard roans. To me the improver influence made them mostly red over there in all the herds. Ive had enough cattle with a ton of dividend in them that I dont quite get the speckled aspect.I think the rusty or spekcled characteristics like Leggs and len ru TA Leader came from thier Improver Dam the Tulip cow I think heres my cow in 1998 that went back to Dividend 5 times and sent a $19000 weaned calf to Australia (1991) She also produced the best bull-female producing animal I will probably ever own in 1997-UB DTR JUNIOR WALKER  DO YAKHHHH THINK SHE MIGHT RESEMBLE DIVVVVVVVIDEND??????

Attachments

• moo moo IMG_4543.jpg
    moo moo IMG_4543.jpg
    973.3 KB · Views: 25

Cabanha Santa Isabel - BR

Great topic....great stories....I was many times without to read SP topics....this one call my attention and bring me many great info.
But, if so much dirt was swept under the rug, imagine what was not said but was thought by the group members.
Just can imagine....

knabe

talks about deerpark bulls that were imported way back when, around early 80's

they came over earlier

knabe

Ohlde was involved earlier w the dividend bull I think.

He couldn’t get him in the herd book for a while, got exasperated.

Offspring went to cal poly, came back and his son made jazz etc.

Saw quite a few of those cattle

mark tenenbaum

The two bulls related to Leader 13 in Proud Jazzes lineage would be A F Dividends Impact who sired his paternal great grandmother South Dakota State Lustre in 1986-.and the Poly D Cumberland cow who was also born in 1983 and purchased by Jake Ohlde in 1999 (enbryos?) D Cumberland would be the mother of the CJ Cumberland who was the dam of Jazzy-Proud Jazzes dam The first calf registered in the US to Dividend was WO Dividend (Leggs) in 1974 Dividend was born in 1972 or 1971 Johnny Hook looked him over when he went to Ireland I think can't remember. But he was the herdsman who took Dividend and Improver around for Beef Genetics Research .George Alden bought Dividend when he had his Registration "arranged" with the Assoc.

Last edited:

Medium Rare

I was hoping this podcast would make it here. Not many people realize what 145 did for the show calf industry.

I spent a lot of time dolling her and the place up for this cell phone picture, so don't hate on me too much, but this is what these things look like in today's world. She's a 4 year old 18th x Improver/924. I believe she is the only Irish bred female to come from the last direct daughter of 924 before she was lost to lightening.

Attachments

• 1820on12_12_2022sm.jpg
    1820on12_12_2022sm.jpg
    467 KB · Views: 5

knabe

I have the ad pic for the poly Cumberland cow. I think she sold for $19,000.

I made a leather carving of her for one of the professors that was managing the herds back then.

She was extremely cool.

Last edited: