The Shorthorn bickering.

Help Support Steer Planet:

blackdiamond

You know what, I’m tired of this shit, and I’m going to say what’s on my mind, if it gets me blocked again, the everyone can kiss it.  This is BS. 

I don’t remember anyone bashing the Schrag program on here, specifically myself.  I did say that I had someone in the know of that program pretty damn good, but it was 20 years ago, and for what little bit it matters, he speaks highly of it.  Move on to another subject.  I also did express interest in their herd bull “What’s Up”, stated we had used him, and also asked questions concerning his breeding on ability and his current promotion… Stone me!

This bullshit of JIT (and others) coming on here and measuring people’s herd’s success based off of sales, and number of bulls, females, or embryos sold each year is also bullshit.  Who cares?  Some of us were not born into cattle backgrounds, or some even farming backgrounds.  Some of us have done everything ourselves, and on our own dollar.  Some of us, have a vision for the future and a plan to get there, while some of the others are just there continuing what was put before them by their ancestors.  This 3 and 4 generations of excellence is bullshit too, who cares?  To me, that falls more into the category of stupidity, and a negative effect than it does in a positive spin.  Why?  Because right now, I’m in the middle of buying our first farmstead, and finding pasture ground to run the livestock on- pretty damn hard, and I’d encourage anyone who thinks it’s easy to do it for me.  Then you have to factor in money, and finances and it get s pretty much impossible.  We thought of applying for a young and beginning farmer loan, through the USDA- who also happens to be who both of us work for- dumb bastards would only loan on a 300k project- how can a person start out in life with only 300k, and we’ve got as good of jobs as anyone our age?  We’ve been pricing pasture ground, and the cheapest, was 5k an acre, how in the F, can someone raise cattle on 5000 pasture ground, not to mention the availability of pasture to rent--- none existent!  Some of us are also half the age of other’s on here- and that to me tells me half the age, twice the brains—I could care less if you’ve been raising cattle for 60 years--  being an idiot for 60 years is nothing to brag about. 

Now, you take some program that’s successful right now, been in the family for 3 generations, and sells whatever the hell they want for whatever prices they want—that’s all fine and dandy, but those people simply do not have the operating expenses that those of us trying to start out do- PLAIN and SIMPLE> so drop it. 

For those of you who think having cowherd numbers, and doing the best you can is all fine and dandy, and those of you who measure the success of a program based off of the number an animal’s sold each year is great—then fine, so be  it, I’m glad you can sell 30-40 bulls each year to commercial outfits, out of let’s say 100 bull calves born.  That’s selling your top 1/3 of the bulls born- now those of us with 15 cows, and we have 7 bull calves born each year, and we sell 4 of them—is quite a bit better in my eyes—that’s selling the top half of our bull calves each year. 

And as a closing thought for most of you on here, I think it’s wonderful that you do such an excellent job raising your 100 head cow herds, with thousand acres of pasture—I envy you—but I want you to remember the next time you bash my thoughts, or my cowherd b/c it numbers only 15—you just remember that in the part of the world I live in, farm land is selling for 10-15k an acre, and we are growing 200-300 bushel corn on a yearly basis—so take your great cow raising advice, and shove it compared to my great corn raising property. 

Logging off now, as I expect to get banned again.

NHR

Wow, it's been a few months since I have been on and Steerplanet has not changed.... ;)