This week in football

Help Support Steer Planet:

aj

How did you team do? K-State won a war in the little Apple. Their defense is on the edge of disaster but they should be in game shape anyway for texas tech. The cats defense should kinda match up against techs offense I thinkI still think Harold could be a greatdefensive end. Tough game for mizzou next week? Colorado got beat.

BIGTEX

Oklahoma and Texas. It looks like it's going to be another great game, at least i hope it is. Alabama looked great. Where are all the bulldogs at?

shortdawg

I don't know where the other bulldogs are at but I'm right here and still a DAWG. I was and still am pretty upset with our effort in the first half. You just don't ask the fans to black out a game and come in with an effort like that. The penalties we had early in the game give them an opportunity to get a big lead and they did, good teams always do. Saban is a great ball coach and his teams always come to fight. The atmosphere was there, the talent was there but the effort...........? With all that said we still control our own fate in the SEC race so, we could get a rematch with the Tide in Dec. Though there are several teams we still have to play that will have something to say about it, TN, LSU, AUB, FL, Vany, & KY. Most are still ranked and will be tough. No disrespect to some of the other conferences but I would venture to say that is one of the toughest schedules in the NCAA. GO  (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog)

Davis Shorthorns

Yea KSU won, thank goodness for a great offense.  I would like to retract my previous statement about ksu going 8-4 or 9-3 and say 4-8.  With that kind of defense the rest of the big 12 will run all over us.  My only other hope for a win is Iowa State.  That said I hope that I am wrong, but it is just so hard to watch a D like we have now after the glory days of the late 90's and early 2000's when we were no. 1 or 2 in every D category. 

BIGTEX

shortdawg said:
I don't know where the other bulldogs are at but I'm right here and still a DAWG. I was and still am pretty upset with our effort in the first half. You just don't ask the fans to black out a game and come in with an effort like that. The penalties we had early in the game give them an opportunity to get a big lead and they did, good teams always do. Saban is a great ball coach and his teams always come to fight. The atmosphere was there, the talent was there but the effort...........? With all that said we still control our own fate in the SEC race so, we could get a rematch with the Tide in Dec. Though there are several teams we still have to play that will have something to say about it, TN, LSU, AUB, FL, Vany, & KY. Most are still ranked and will be tough. No disrespect to some of the other conferences but I would venture to say that is one of the toughest schedules in the NCAA. GO  (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog) (dog)

The SEC is by far the best conference. But the Big Southern Dummies beat up on each other every year. They have been screwed in the BCS more than once. Good Luck the rest of the year. I will say everything that could go wrong did go wrong for Georgia last night.

TJ

Kentucky won and they are now 4-0!!  We have only allowed 22 points to be scored on us all year.  But, Alabama is our next opponent & the game is at Alabama.  :eek:  :eek:  :eek:  Can we beat a top 5 team 2 years in a row?  I'll be watching CBS this Saturday to find out! 

The good news is that the team that we beat last night (41-3), is the the same team that Alabama beat the week before 41-7.  I know that comparing scores means almost nothing, but it is a ray of hope.  However, we lost our starting right tackle last night, our top TE hurt his ankle & Randall Cobb (our freshman star) is out for a few weeks too.  Our starting MLB (Micah Johnson) & our top backup DT (Ricky Lumpkin) are both questionable.  I'd feel much better about our chances if all of those kids could play.  Our defense is solid.  Our special teams are improving.  Our offense is getting better, but the offense needs to get even better for us to have a chance to win the SEC East.  Randall Cobb is a real weapon on offense at QB & WR, but he can't play right now, so everyone else needs to step up big this week.  I'm not overly confident going up against Alabama this weekend, but we will see.             

dutch pride

Any Big ten fans out there? our Spartans are looking pretty good so far if the defense can hold things together. Javon Ringer missed his third 200 yard game in a row by 2 yards this week. MSU has a habit of starting strong and then seem to colapse in the meat of the Big Ten schedule, so I hope we can hold it together this year. U of M is having a rebuilding year and OSU is not as powerful as past years so I think the big ten title is up for grabs this year.

DLZ

aj

How about prince putting lamark brown at running back.I didn't see that coming. One hope is that the cats defense is really designed to work against spread passing teams, I think they kinda match up well against KU,MIZZOU,Texas Tech.Nebraska,Colorado, and Oklahoma are different deals but they have Nebraska at home at least.I guess I am a homer but I was a cat fan whenRainsburger and Jim Dickey were the coaches,go CATS.

aj

I watched the replay of the Nebraska game.Wow...I liked swift and suh was in on every other tackle I think he should be all big 12. Coach Poliney set the the standard for the year though with his childlike behavior after suh speared the guy out of bounds.Three unsportmans in what 2 minutes. I spose the whole state of Nebraska is on sucicide watch again this year. At least with Doc Osborne back the program is back to a class organization.Lucky looked like a good big back also.Mizzou could in be in trouble next week.

bcosu

javon ringer went to high school about 30 minutes away for me so i am very pleased to see him doing so well. my buckeyes played a little better against minnesota and looked awfully dangerous with wells and pryor in the backfield. anyone see beanie hurdle that guy or pryor knock down that linebacker? beanie is a big boy and to see him hurdle someone is just a testament to his athleticism and pryor kinda got a cheap hit on the linebacker but that just shows how competitive he is. the defense gave up a couple late touchdowns when they were rotating some young players in so i look for some more cohesion from the first unit against wisconsin next week. tomorrow will show where we stand in the polls after quite a shake up.

shortdawg

Since one of the earlier posts said the " Southern Dummies" like to beat up on one another I thought I'd post the SEC teams and the " ranked " conference foes they still have left on their schedules or those still controlling their fate in the SEC:

Arkansas - Florida, Auburn, Kentucky, LSU
Alabama - Kentucky,Ole Miss, LSU, Auburn
Auburn - Vandy, Georgia, Alabama
Ole Miss - Alabama, Auburn, LSU
Florida - LSU, Kentucky, Georgia, Vandy, and their former coach at South Carolina
Georgia - Vandy, LSU, Florida, Kentucky, Auburn
Kentucky - Alabama, Florida, Georgia, Vandy
LSU- Florida, Georgia, Alabama, Ole Miss
Vandy - Auburn, Georgia, Florida, Kentucky
Tennessee - Georgia, Alabama, Vandy, Kentucky
Miss. State - Vandy, Kentucky, Alabama, Ole Miss
South Carolina - Ole Miss, Kentucky, LSU, Florida

I'm not saying any games not listed are not important but some already have two losses in the conference and I think that is the kiss of death in the SEC. Georgia is the only one that has to play five still controlling their fate plus a two loss TN team that whipped our butt last year. Those schedules are just murderous at the least. Alabama only has two that are currently ranked so I think they will represent the west in the Dec. Championship Game and the east representative will be ....................Georgia, Florida, Kentucky, or Vandy.

Go Dawgs !! (dog) (dog) (dog)

rtnok

Well the sooners won in pretty good shape but we couldn't run a lick and special teams are still sick. The Texas-oklahoma may be a real barn burner! roni

TJ

We may not be ranked, but at 4-0, I'm not so sure that we shouldn't be.  We stomped Louisville who then beat Kansas State & they almost beat now ranked UConn.  We beat MTSU who beat Maryland who beat both Cal & Clemson.  We beat WKU by a 4 point larger margin than Alabama beat them the week before.  We've only allowed 22 points all year & we have only given up 2 TD's (one on a busted play & one where we gift wrapped it with a fumble).  I don't care who you are playing, 22 points allowed in 4 games is pretty impressive, especially considering that Louisville scored a combined 60+ points against Kansas State & now ranked UConn.  No way UConn should be ranked & we shouldn't.  We slaughtered a team that they struggled to beat.  I even think that Maryland is now ranked & we beat the team that beat them.  We may not be ranked, but I have no doubt that we are better than several in the top 25.

I think shortdawg is right about Alabama winning the SEC West, especially since we wont be at 100% this weekend.

Alabama faced a very good defensive line at Georgia, but our D-line is probably the biggest that they have faced this year.  We go 285, 310, 300 & 280 & all of them are very athletic.   We are not small at linebacker either.  However, if we are without Micah Johnson at MLB, that will make us both a little smaller & not quite as fast.  But, even so, we have capable backups & if our front 7 comes to play, this game might get interesting.   I'll put our CB's up against any group in the SEC too.  Trevard Lindley is quite possibly the best shutdown corner in the SEC.   I'm not just talking a bunch of smack... our defense is ranked #1 in the entire nation for fewest points allowed & it is #6 in yards allowed.   And more impressively, we are doing that with an offense that isn't consistantly moving the ball & they are probably responsible for all but 7 of those points being scored against us.    

On the flip side, we are going to have to open up the playbook this week.  The vanilla stuff that we have been running on offense isn't going to beat Alabama.  We are also going to have to stop shooting ourselves in the foot (we were much better in that regard against WKU).   I think that we are adequate or better at every position on offense except for WR.  Our WR's have a lot of talent, they are just way too green, dropping a few too many balls & running a few too many wrong routes (although that was much improved againt WKU).  We do have talent at running back & TE that can be effective in the passing game & I expect them to be utilized a lot more this week.  If only Randall Cobb can somehow get healthy... I think he could be a real the difference maker against a team like Alabama.    

bcosu

i can't say that i agree with the rankings as they came out today. two teams lost to unranked teams and are still higher than ohio state. i don't think anyother team would be dissed for losing to the number one team like they are and were.

shortdawg

TJ,

But ..................... you play SEC competition 8 out of the next nine weeks and 7 straight. Can you say tough, tough, tough........ did I say tough ??????????? Best of luck except that one Sat. in Nov. (dog)

TJ

Tonight WKU's coach was on the radio & he said that Kentucky is everybit as fast & as athletic as Alabama.  He thinks it's going to be a very interesting game.  He's coached against both teams & he had no reason to make a comment like that, except that Kentucky really left an impression on him.  I just hope that he is right.  ;)

bcosu

isn't mike hartline UK"s qb the brother of brian harline OSU's wr?

TJ

cbcfarms said:
isn't mike hartline UK"s qb the brother of brian harline OSU's wr?

Yes, they are brothers.  Brian actually attended the UK/UL game.   

bcosu

i wonder what the big ten vs. sec rivalry is like in that family.