Thoughts on Bull

Help Support Steer Planet:

MYT Farms

justintime said:
My guess was that he was purebred Angus and I would also guess that this bull is not excessively fat. He is in very good shape, and this is what an easy fleshing bull should look like in every day condition.  I would like to clean him up a touch in his front end, however, some of this comes naturally with having some masculinity. I think some of the best female sires have been very masculine and also have lots of crest and front end to them. Take a look at the mature picture of SR Red Riders Drive ( Shorthorn bull). IMO, RRD produced some of the best females around, yet he was anything but pretty as a mature bull. I think this bull looks the same.

He has tremendous thickness, depth of rib and volume. He probably will sire some real ground sow daughters.... and some sons that look the same coming in from pasture as they did going out to pasture. I would use him in a heart beat.
I'm sorry, but I can't agree. I have yet to see a bull like that who is just "in good shape". He looks to me like he would fall apart on pasture if he had to tough it. From my vantage point, that looks like a real nice feedlot bull who has been packing on fat from grain for a while. He's in too good of condition.

MYT Farms

Let me modify that. He is a great bull for looks, but for what you actually have, I'm not so sure.

Show Dad

Dusty said:
He looks good, but he is fat...  How much is he eating a day???  Post pics again next August after he's been running with the cows for a couple months....

My question as well and always the real answer for functional real world cattle and not just beauty pageant contestants. So here he is after a good workout.

Attachments

• Working Clothes.jpg
    Working Clothes.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 669

common sense

Well, he passes the picture test but I am guessing that there is another story here.  Could you offer up more information before we start making some business decisions for you?  It's kind of fun letting though since we are using your money!  LOL.  Can we see some numbers, an extended pedigree, etc.  And, I am guessing by his age that he most likely has some progeny on the ground.  Any information on them? ...and not just pictures.  The "after workout" picture looks like it was taken when he was younger.  Is that so?  He looks like the kind of Angus bull that will throw some pretty functional kinds of females that would be useful in many programs.  What about calving ease?  Interesting bull...

shortdawg

I'd say go for it. Those 365 cattle have sure put some nice progeny on the ground. I saw a Solution out of a 365 cow that was flat awesome. The guy wouldn't even price her to me... said she was staying put.

MYT Farms

Can't deny it. Nice pair. Not for my in particular program, but that should make one heck of a calf.

justintime

MYT Farms said:
justintime said:
My guess was that he was purebred Angus and I would also guess that this bull is not excessively fat. He is in very good shape, and this is what an easy fleshing bull should look like in every day condition.  I would like to clean him up a touch in his front end, however, some of this comes naturally with having some masculinity. I think some of the best female sires have been very masculine and also have lots of crest and front end to them. Take a look at the mature picture of SR Red Riders Drive ( Shorthorn bull). IMO, RRD produced some of the best females around, yet he was anything but pretty as a mature bull. I think this bull looks the same.

He has tremendous thickness, depth of rib and volume. He probably will sire some real ground sow daughters.... and some sons that look the same coming in from pasture as they did going out to pasture. I would use him in a heart beat.
I'm sorry, but I can't agree. I have yet to see a bull like that who is just "in good shape". He looks to me like he would fall apart on pasture if he had to tough it. From my vantage point, that looks like a real nice feedlot bull who has been packing on fat from grain for a while. He's in too good of condition.

I am sticking to my guns on this one.... yes this bull is in great shape, but with his thickness, depth of rib and volume, I think he will look very similar to this coming off pasture as well. The genetics behind him also indicate this to me.

TPX

Well I wll fill in some blanks for some of you people who are geussing what the bull is.  He is a canadian bull that was named grand champion angus bull as agribition last year.  His name is SAR Fort Rock 151R, he is owned by Bryan Mackenzie.  The bull is sired by SFL Fort Rock 11F who is sired by Belvin Boardwalk,  The dam is by TC Stockman.  Bryan bought the bull and bred a bunch of his reds to him so that he can infuse new gentics into the breed since up here in canada that is allowed.

I think that the original poster was talking about some embryos that were for sale in the pathway 2 profit sale on wednesday,  So how did you make out did you end getting any of those embroys?  I suspect that you might not see to much of this bull in the black gene pool since Bryan is mainly red.

justintime

Thanks Scott.... I was thinking that this was the Fort Rock bull, and that was another reason I was thinking that this bull is not as fat as many think he is. He is packed full of meat and he has condition, but he maintains it, on pasture or the show ring. I know that they did not have to fit him for very long last fall before he was shown.

Show Dad

You guys are spot on as to identity of this bull.

CS - As I understand it, if I spent my money according to your advise that I would be miles ahead. I just hope I have enough to pay your fees. ;)

Bawndoh

The first picture of him is actually of him as a yearling/long yearling for the Stauffer sale catalague.  Second photo is from December 07 right after Agribition.  He looked (at agribition) to be a typical Angus bull.  Nothing special IMO.  Not crap though either.  Anybody who knows Brian knows that he knows how to "market" his cattle.  Good or bad cattle.  I will tell you though, Stauffers seemt to sell a ton of productable black bulls to large ranching operations.  

aj

I don't know that slick fronted bovines are a necessity. I am big on fleshing ability and fleshing ability is just waste on the rail I know. But was is the economical value of being clean fronted? It is a necessity in the showring I know. Does clean fronted equal hard keeping? I am probably wrong. :)

clubcalve

Is he up for collection? And if so where do you buy seman from. I also have some New Fronteir Daughters that he would work well on.