Tillage equiptment N/C

Help Support Steer Planet:

RankeCattleCo

For all of you who run land, what is your preferred tillage equiptment for ripping and then for finishing? Currently we are looking into a new 18' Turbo Max VT tool from Great Plains to destroy compaction and help finish seed beds.  Anyone have any experience with this tool? Turbo tillers in general of any brand?

And for those of you who use chisel plows/Rippers, what is your preferred brand? We are looking for something to use in the fall every 3/4 years on a field, going for something to bust compaction because Lord knows the previous renters gave us lots of that  (lol) What brands do you like and what are the pros/cons to a chisel plow w/ disks compared to a straight ripper with just shanks?

FriedgesCharolais

The top two rippers for me would be 1) case IH 870 and 2) the dominator. They both do a great job I think the 870 does a little better job in my personal opinion especially if you have the rolling basket on the back of it. Case is coming out with a new ripper called the 890 but the only real difference is they have new points on the shanks but they can be put on the 870s. The only downfall with both of these pieces of equipment is they are spending in my mind. Also if you have cattle and are hauling manure in the winter the 870 makes the field look like it was just gone over with a field finisher. As for turbo tillage I would go with the Case 330 mainly because it is the one I have had the most experience/feed back from. I guess I should mention I am a crop consultant and also farm so I do have some experience with most tillage equipment.

RankeCattleCo

We heard about the Case Turbo but the biggest tractor we would get is 210 HP and with our hills Case doesn't make one small enough.

I love the 10 ish year old DMI and IH Ecolo-Tigers because of their price and the fact that they will shatter hard pans but my dad doesn't want something that big, more of a single disc opener with multiple shanks that don't have that 'mean' ripper tip like the Ecolo-Tigers do.