Tonic???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Davis Shorthorns

I was wondering if anyone has used him and what kind of cow he works best on?  I have seen some really good Tonic cattle, and some not so great.  Any info would be great.  Thanks.

ATOZ

I have used him on heifers because calving ease and the calves I have are very fancy but thickness could be a concern. I would say use deep thick cows that need some eye appeal to them.

oakbar

We used Tonic on our Sonny X Charmer heifer this year and we're really pleased with the calf we got.  He was the Champion Prospect Male at our County Fair and we plan to show him at the Iowa State Fair.  We also bred her back to him and if we like the next calf as well as the first will probably flush her to Tonic next year.

Many of you have seen this calf before but I'll post his picture again for those who haven't.    He's a little stretched out in this picture but we were in a hurry to get into the next class.  By the way, he is for sale!!

Attachments

• Champion Prospect Male  WCF 08.JPG
    Champion Prospect Male WCF 08.JPG
    152.6 KB · Views: 406

Steer Boy 101

ARe you talking about the purple tonic Hereford bul or you got a shorthorn bull in mind?

NHR

The shorthorn tonic bull works good crossed on Trump/Sonny daughters. The only area of concern that I have seen is the rear leg being a little straight on some of the offspring from non Trump bloodlines.

afhm

I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I have yet to see a Tonic in person that I like and I have seen quite a few of them.  I'm guessing he will work with a tank of a cow that needs prettying up, but definately not on anything that needs to be stouter. He doesn't live up to the hype imo.  The steer pictured is by far the best one I have seen pictured or in person. Good luck @ Des Moines with him.

Doc

afhm said:
I'm sure there are some good ones out there, but I have yet to see a Tonic in person that I like and I have seen quite a few of them.  I'm guessing he will work with a tank of a cow that needs prettying up, but definately not on anything that needs to be stouter. He doesn't live up to the hype imo.  The steer pictured is by far the best one I have seen pictured or in person. Good luck @ Des Moines with him.

afhm, I'm glad to see that I'm no longer the Lone Ranger on thoughts like that. Or it could be we are the Lone Ranger & Tonto in our thoughts. ;D