Top 3 Sullivan PB Shorthorn Bulls?

Help Support Steer Planet:

COWgirls

Sullivan owned (or partially owned) that you can get semen on

COWgirls

Getting bogged down reading/understanding EPs.  Is is correct that higher CE% = greater chance of unassisted calving?

Doc

One that I like & bought some semen on is SULL Final Answer. He is out of a tremendous cow & at L'ville this past fall he was a very impressive individual. Moderate framed & loads of muscle. The calves I have seen by him , are super impressive. Lot of people at L'ville said he could just as well won the show as either of the 2 others that won the top 2 honors.

coyote

What is your definition of PB Shorthorn? Most of his bulls have Maine in them.

sue

sue said:
SULL RED SAVIOR 0492  <party> SORRY not on the open market...

http://youtu.be/ldd7Wnwkti0
CE +6.9 BW -3.7 WW 21.1 YW 44.3
IMF 4.98  REA 14.7  BF .27  SC 37cm  BW 72  WW 616  YW 1190 FR 5.2

Savior's 3/4 brother has bred at a ranch in NE for two yrs. A&T  loves the calves and so does they - Sneed bred savior and his dam was SULL"s pick. Very cool bull - embryos I am sure will be available soon.
New shorthorn sire summary  was posted on short page. 1st couple pages describe epds to a "T".

Doc

coyote said:

To me, a purebred would be anything without "ar" in front of the reg. number. A fullblood Shorthorn would be something without an asterik in the pedigree. I didn't agree with the change , where you can breed the asterik off the pedigree. Now the sticky wicket is on the full Irish. I consider them as fullblood because there is not an asterik, but some people say because of not knowing for sure an animals background they don't. Every breed had to start somewhere though. JMO.

justintime

Doc said:
coyote said:

To me, a purebred would be anything without "ar" in front of the reg. number. A fullblood Shorthorn would be something without an asterik in the pedigree. I didn't agree with the change , where you can breed the asterik off the pedigree. Now the sticky wicket is on the full Irish. I consider them as fullblood because there is not an asterik, but some people say because of not knowing for sure an animals background they don't. Every breed had to start somewhere though. JMO.

I'm not a fan of the Maine blood in the Shorthorn breed, but in my opinion it is no different than any of the other non purebreds that are now considered as being purebred. The Irish cattle are a very good example of this. I was one of the first people to bring the Irish to North America and I was strongly opposed to them going into the closed ( purebred) herd book. They were anything but purebred. Some of them may have been but many were just cattle that had Shorthorn color.The Irish made the pedigrees up as they went and it was actually very funny to see.
In Canada, there are several so called purebred ( closed herdbook) cattle that go back to a half blood Simmental cow I purchased in Ontario. How could this happen? It happened because for about 5 years, the Canadian Shorthorn Associaton allowed cattle that reached PB status in the appendix program to go into the closed herd book. I was one of two people in Canada, who was allowed to inspect grade cattle that had Shorthorn characteristics into the herdbook atr 3/4 level. Many of these cattle are now in the closed herd book. One of the premier "purebred" herds in Canada, has three cow families that originated from some heifers that I put in the herd at 3/4 level and they then got them into the closed herd book later.
And then there are all the Illarawra cattel that were incuded in the Closed Herdbooks. The Ayatollah line in particular had less Shorthorn blood than fullblood Maines do.
My point is, some stupid mistakes have been made along the way, and let's stop arguing about them. These cattle are all considered Shorthorns and we should atry to use the best we can. Personally, \I started to use appendix lines when the Irish and the Illawarsa cattel were allowed in the closed herdbooks and in my opinion, there are many cattle in the appendix herdbook that are as pure as those in the closed book.
I have been searching all over the world for a female that totally  goes back to Scottish bloodlines. I have yet to find one. The Breeders in Scotland have allowed Maine into their herdbooks but the consider Irish cattle to be less pure than the Maines. I don't know about that !
When I asked Donald McGillvary, the master breeder  and owner of Calrossie, if he knew of any cattle whose heritage was straight Scottish bloodlines,he sadi" I sure hope not"He said these cattle were the reason Shorthorns were on the endangered breed list in Britain for many years.

Okotoks

Well at least most of what happens in the Shorthorn herd book is documented. Selecting the bloodlines one wants to use is pretty much a personal preference.
I like SULL RED SAVIOR 0492, SULL GNCC ASSETT AND SULL ROAN GOOSE

oakview

I don't think the bulls have been available long enough to make an intelligent choice as to which is the best.  I liked Asset very much when he was sold, now he's off the market just when he's getting popular.  Not the first time something like that has happened.  I liked Final Solution and several other bulls that are somewhat available, through syndicate or general semen sales, but I just don't think enough time has gone by for each to prove himself as 'the best.'  Of course, a few years down the road when some of these have proven themselves, something else will probably come along.

Doc

GONEWEST said:
Anyone know if that "Blast" bull out of the last sale will be available?

I'm speaking with a total geuss here, but I would probably say so. I have down as the buyers as Teets farm, C & A , & Dan Sullivan. I know that C & A either sells semen on his bulls or he owns one with Cagwin right now that he is selling semen packages on.

OH Breeder

Doc said:
GONEWEST said:
Anyone know if that "Blast" bull out of the last sale will be available?

I'm speaking with a total geuss here, but I would probably say so. I have down as the buyers as Teets farm, C & A , & Dan Sullivan. I know that C & A either sells semen on his bulls or he owns one with Cagwin right now that he is selling semen packages on.

Sull Liquid Asset
SULL GNCC Asset ET x AF SL Mirage 435 ET

Attachments

• Sull Liquid Asset.jpg
    Sull Liquid Asset.jpg
    37.3 KB · Views: 194