Torching

Help Support Steer Planet:

renegade

I took my calves over to a friends house today to be clipped. He helps because hes better at it and i dont have a blocking chute yet.  We clipped the face and neck and belly then torched they rest.  They had tons of hair and by the time we were done they looked totally different.  They were like fluffy teddy bears and every good part of them was enhanced O0. I LOVE IT!

renegade

Nope just telling everyone that i liked it.  But has anyone else used it? Got both calves done in about four hours. It sure beats body clipping!

BCCC

I have had a guy do it before, We took 4 calves and we were there for about 8 hours, the calves we did it to didnt have good hair, but I still liked it. make sure you do it at leats a week before your show

chambero

We torch cows when we clip them, but generally it isn't precise enough on show calves.

Bawndoh

I have been interested in learning this technique for a while now.  I have heard of many people torching for bull sales, as it goes faster than clipping.  I am wondering if anyone has experience with torching.  What are some major do's and dont's?  How long does the hair have to be?  Can you use it all over the animal?  Legs, neck, or are these areas a big no no?  Of coarse, I know that you cannot use it on the head.  What type/size of torch do you use?

chambero

We just use a regular blow torch.  I couldn't tell you the size, but you can get them from Sullivans.

Just wear leather gloves and have a comb handy.  If the hair actually flairs, a quick comb through puts it out.

We generally clip the heads, tops, and the back of their butt.  Everything else is torched, including up under their belly.  Be careful with udders or other sensitive areas.  We can push a cow through in about 15 minutes. 

You can tell when you are getting "too close". 

ROAD WARRIOR

#1 tip - don't Ivormec right before you torch. We showed up to torch sale bulls for one ranch to find out that they had semen tested and Ivormeced all of the bulls the day before. Luckily we never "lit" one up but we were 5 hours from home with a full crew that didn't work for 3 days (it rained on 2nd day). I like to torch atleast 3 weeks in advance of a sale, this gives them time to grow out a little and I think they look better. Show cattle I will torch a month ahead of the show and then reclip them at about 3 weeks after the torch. If the cattle are clean they torch alot better, be ready with a comb to control the fire. Length of hair is not an issue - the longer the hair - the longer it takes to torch one. I'll torch legs on sale cattle but not on show cattle. I build my own torches - Sullivans sell factory made torches. If you build one, keep it as light as you can.

TJ

ROAD WARRIOR said:
#1 tip - don't Ivormec right before you torch. We showed up to torch sale bulls for one ranch to find out that they had semen tested and Ivormeced all of the bulls the day before. Luckily we never "lit" one up but we were 5 hours from home with a full crew that didn't work for 3 days (it rained on 2nd day). I like to torch atleast 3 weeks in advance of a sale, this gives them time to grow out a little and I think they look better. Show cattle I will torch a month ahead of the show and then reclip them at about 3 weeks after the torch. If the cattle are clean they torch alot better, be ready with a comb to control the fire. Length of hair is not an issue - the longer the hair - the longer it takes to torch one. I'll torch legs on sale cattle but not on show cattle. I build my own torches - Sullivans sell factory made torches. If you build one, keep it as light as you can.

I love my torch!  It's simple & it's quick.  I wouldn't torch for a major show, but it is more than good enough for farm pictures or a sale.  If I can do it & do a pretty good job, just about anyone else can.  Honestly, it's not that hard to do & I learned without any leasons.  Just take little bits of & don't try to do it all at once.  I like to use different torchs on different parts of the body.  Also, have them really clean with no Ivomec or anything else in the hair including, but not limited to, hay dust!  Also, as others have mentioned, a torch cut will look good right away, but it will look even better after it's had time to grow out a little bit.   

Latest posts