Trocar plugs???

Help Support Steer Planet:

Showin a Shorty

Had a first calf heifer bloat very badly tonight, after examining her we found she had started the labor process and the calf was backwards. Instead of messing her up we went ahead and called the vet. He tried for about 45mins with a hose into her rumen with no luck getting the bloat to go down. He then decided to insert a trocar to get the pressure down. After that we went ahead and treated her with banamine, dexamethasone and nuflor. Since her labor process was already started and we basically induced her we are hoping for a live and healthy calf. My question is the "plug" that is supposed to go into the trocar keeps popping out. Every hour that I have gone back to the barn since it was insterted the "plug" has been laying in the pen, except this time. I can't find it anywhere, will it hurt her to not have the "plug" in there? I am assuming that since she is having mild contrations she is just pushing it out. Also has anyone else ever had any experience with the tracor and if so what can I expect as far as a recovery? Thanks!

CAB

If fluids leak into her body cavity, you stand a good chance of her developing peritonitis. Usually fatal.

Latest posts