Trucks

Help Support Steer Planet:

TxAdmin

Administrator
Staff member
I have a got a 7.3 in my f250.  Great engine, I have 125,000 and still plenty strong.  I added the hypertech chip with the economy setting I can get 20 mpg on the highway. 

Stay way from the first year 6.0 (2003 and 2004) in ford, lots of problems.

First year duramax's (2001) lots of problems too.

Cummins very nice engines, the 94-98 12v is a beast and will last for ever, you can mod it to.

My 7.3 will pull a house down the road on the "towing tune" of my chip.

Jason

jason

showsteerdlux said:
Ok. Have you heard which chip works the best on the powerstrokes?

I got a hypertech, but I got it a long time ago.  There is a lot better options.  You need to be careful when the tranny when you add 200 lbs torque. 

jason

showsteerdlux said:
Is your 20 on the highway empty or loaded?

empty, ford mpg gauge reads 22.5 mpg, but from my calculations it is around 20 unloaded.

I don't have a big trailer, dip to around 16 on highway

KDSC

I ordered a chip from the parts store and they are sending me a Hypertech so I gusse those are still up there. I also ordered a K & N cold air intake for mine

showsteerdlux

Jason said:
showsteerdlux said:
Is your 20 on the highway empty or loaded?

empty, ford mpg gauge reads 22.5 mpg, but from my calculations it is around 20 unloaded.

I don't have a big trailer, dip to around 16 on highway
Wow thats still pretty good even being loaded.
Thanks to all for the info.

DLD

That doesn't sound like a bad deal. 97's with that low mileage are pretty hard to come by these days. If you like it, I'd go for it.

20 mpg... I wish my 6.0 would get anywhere near that. It's an '05 F250 4x4 supercab with 72K miles. It has 3.73's, the torqueshift auto, and the tow command (factory trailer brake) and it handles a trailer like nothing else I've ever driven. It's been absolutely problem free since I've had it. I got a good buy on it for $19K last summer with 54K miles, but it is a plain jane XL with vinyl seats and manual windows and door locks. It averaged right around 14 mpg going to Denver and back, with just 2 people and a couple days worth of luggage. It'll get 12'ish pulling 8-10K pounds around here, so I'd hoped my highway mileage would be alot better. I'm going to add a programmer and exhaust, but I was going to wait a few months 'til the 100K warranty was gone just in case. I'm getting impatient, though...

These trucks'll pull about anything most folks are willing to try, the most important thing is making sure you can stop it. Make sure all the brakes and tires are up to the task. The next most important thing is keeping it legal - we had an earlier thread about the DOT issues.

shorthorns r us

DLD said:
The next most important thing is keeping it legal - we had an earlier thread about the DOT issues.

still can't get answers from our friends at DOT or OHP as to the specifics as they understand and will be enforcing the law.

afhm

One of the biggest problems with the power of these trucks now days is they can pull one heck of a load but have a heck of a time stopping them. 

Doc

afhm said:
One of the biggest problems with the power of these trucks now days is they can pull one heck of a load but have a heck of a time stopping them. 

Has anyone tried one of the aftermarket jake brakes?

showgirl2010

Ya, we have a 97 f250 4door and short bed.  Pulling we get 15 and if ya get with it on the interstate the best we've got is 20 but that is it.  Our is over 200,000 miles and still holdin on.  Its been a real nice to us.  We all love it.

SG

Latest posts