Two of our show calves !

Help Support Steer Planet:

shortdawg

I finally got these pics done. Both were taken back in April and are not of the highest quality since I had to scan them in. The first two are our Radio Active heifer and the other is our JPJ steer. We will also show a Jan. SH heifer out of a Trump son and a March  ET heifer born on our farm sired by Bloodstone out of the CF Lucky Charm 255 cow. Any comments appreciated .

Attachments

• Radio Active Heifer.jpg
    Radio Active Heifer.jpg
    133.1 KB · Views: 774
  • Jake's Proud Jazz Steer 07-08.jpg
    Jake's Proud Jazz Steer 07-08.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 778

SKF

Are you taking the steer to Perry? Nice calves!!

shortdawg

Both of these are going to Perry.

Yes, these pics were taken in April.

I can't remember the breeding on his dam but I know she goes back to Cunia two or three generations back. His name is DG Proud Opie if you want to look it up.

SKF

I was hoping that you would say that the steer was not going to Perry  ;).  He  looks real good! My daughter is taking her shorthorn steer to Perry.

shortdawg

What's your daughter's steer out of ? That Fututrity is just what the name says, the judge should be looking at what a calf can become in the future so you never can tell what might happen. Good Luck, and as always we welcome the Fl folks to GA.

shortyjock89

Mr. Shortdawg, I sure would like it if you might post of e-mail me a pic of that Bloodstone heifer when you get one.  I am itchin to see what that mating produced!

SKF

Her steer is out of Radio Active. We got him from Tad Kite. Here's a picture of him when we bought him. He's a lot bigger and lost most of his hair. He's been shown twice both time a class winner. We're looking forward to Perry. It's our favorite show. Both of you calves look good and should do well.

Attachments

• Oakley.jpg
    Oakley.jpg
    8.1 KB · Views: 424

showgirl2010

I am not trying to be mean, but that steer looked like a heifer at first glance.  It really doesn't have the muscling that my steer has, which makes it look femine.  I guess it is also because he was cut early that does make a difference.  That is the reason why we don't cut'em until they are weaned sometimes a little later.  That extra growth on them as bulls really helps. 

The heifer is nice, but I would like to see more volume to her. They both have the hair though and I love that!

Jamie

showsteerdlux

I'll have to disagree with showgirl 2010. Thats steer does look like a steer. Granted he is softer made but he sure as heck doesn't look like a heifer. One large problem with cutting late is that you can affect meat quality, growth, and alot of other things.
This steer has the looks to be able to kick but, even if he was going against black calves.
BTW what kind of steer do you have? There is a large difference in this good shorthorn and a saler or saler cross. Not tryin to be hateful but this is a very good kind of calf and I wish shortdawg the best of luck with him.

shortdawg

Thanks for the comments ! These pics were taken 3 months ago so they have changed a lot since then. I definetly agree on the heifer right now though I think the volume will come. She's not the clubby type so she's not going to look like a tank right now. The steer will run well........ he's got a lot more muscle than this pic shows.

showgirl2010

Well, everyone's opinion is different.  I wish you good luck and if you have time I would love to see a more reccent picture.

Jamie

DCC_Cattle

showgirl2010 said:
I am not trying to be mean, but that steer looked like a heifer at first glance.  It really doesn't have the muscling that my steer has, which makes it look femine.  I guess it is also because he was cut early that does make a difference.  That is the reason why we don't cut'em until they are weaned sometimes a little later.  That extra growth on them as bulls really helps. 

The heifer is nice, but I would like to see more volume to her. They both have the hair though and I love that!

Jamie

I will have to disagree. That steer has plenty of muscle for a shorthorn steer! It's best to cut them early, it creates less stress on the calf...Just my opinion! Good Luck shortdawg!

oakbar

Hey Shortdawg,

Long time since we've talked.  Nice looking calves!!  I'm glad your far enough away that I don't have to show against you!!  Good luck with them!!

EONF

Shortdawg: The steer looks great. You guys are showing him purebred right?

SKF: Again great steer. Is he going to be in purebred also?

Hopefully there will be enough appendix steers for mine to be in that breed category but I don’t think there was one last year. By the way, is anybody bringing any appendix heifers? 

OH Breeder

showgirl2010 said:
Well, everyone's opinion is different.  I wish you good luck and if you have time I would love to see a more reccent picture.

Jamie

Can you post some pictures of your calf? Would like to see what you are talking about. seriously, not being a smart ass. :p

Depends on the judge today. Some like complete calf that is not a meat machine. Some like the meat wagons. As you said to each their own.  SD, like both calves. I think the heifer will come on. It is hard to explain to folks clubby vs non clubby shorthorns. I have both in my herd this year. Female that is pretty as a picture and very "breed standard" then I have one that is super clubby. Think both will make great prospects.