Two-Stage Weaning

Help Support Steer Planet:

simba

Thanks for sharing! After seeing these used on a friend's farm I tried them and had very good results. I'd definitely recommend them!

FriedgesCharolais

Probably goin to have to try this after seeing this but i cant help but think there will be a few calves that could figure out how to get milk even with these on lol!

ssr

have used this program for 3 years the weaners need taken out by one week as they wear holes in the nose very little bawling always a few that find a way to suck or lose the weaners

Limiman12

Where do you get them, found an outfit in South Africa that has spiked rings but can't find a distributed for these online.....

HeiferShower14

Makes me laugh seeing those calves with those in there noses and trying too nurse! lol Seems like a very good idea though.

Mueller Show Cattle

I have some spiked ones like posted above and have used them, but I think I like these better. The spikes ones pokes the bag of the cow when they try and suck, so the cow can kick at the calf. I think this would be easier on the cows and save some of the calves getting kicked at by the cow when they get pocked in the bag by the spikes.

jason

ssr said:
have used this program for 3 years the weaners need taken out by one week as they wear holes in the nose very little bawling always a few that find a way to suck or lose the weaners

Overall are you happy with the results?

ROMAX

I forgot to add i checked them out online at the two dealers in Ontario,one has them listed at 67.95 each,the other has them listed for 2.75 each,thats a hell of a price difference.

ssr

Over all they are less stress we just was off the old ones and reuse them some break apart after year two works great on calves that we are selling in sales and do not want to lose any bloom on the before the sale when selling  There will always some that find a way to nurse but over all works great

Limiman12

ROMAX said:
I forgot to add i checked them out online at the two dealers in Ontario,one has them listed at 67.95 each,the other has them listed for 2.75 each,thats a hell of a price difference.

They come in a box of 25... One is probably pricing a bag the other individual.

hevmando

We have used them, like them a lot except when the calves pry them off.  We maybe left them in too long, but overall we like them.

kjd farms

We used them for the first time last year and love them. We only calve 40-45 calves, but they are low stress on cows, calves, humans, and fences.  We were able to wean certain groups of calves depending on need.  For example, all sale calves were weaned during the hottest time of the summer without having to lock them up in a barn so they wouldn't flee the scene.  We didn't encounter any sickness and didn't have listen to calves or cows.

Of the 42 calves we put them in last year, only 2 got them off.  They were replaced the day we found them and they never came out again, which tells me we may not have put them in good enough.

We ordered from www.quietwean.com and they cost us with shipping under $3/each.

Depending on your vaccination protocols, it will likely require an extra trip through the chute, but we got pretty good at taking them out of our sale calves when we had them tied up.  The non-sale calves had to go through the chute the extra time, but it was well worth it.

Lucky_P

We've been using 'em for several years.  Really like 'em - but don't want to leave 'em in for more than 4-5 days - they're pretty tight on those 500-600 lb calves, and they get raw and snotty if  you leave 'em in much longer than that.  Retention has been good - only rarely does a calf manage to get 'em out, and it's the rare calf that figures out how to nurse with them in.
Pull 'em, rinse 'em off, and run 'em through the dishwasher (don't tell my kids!) ought to last for several  years, since they're only in for 4-5 days twice a year.
Weaned steers about 3 wks ago with 'em - no bawlling or fence-walking by the calves, though some of the cows still bawled some for a day or two after separation.
Had to separate fall heifers this afternoon, without benefit of the nose-blab weaners.  Lot of bawling going on out back of the house tonight.