*UPDATE* Steer that won't eat.

Help Support Steer Planet:

Colorado2009

Ok. We weighed my steer that isn't eating very good today. He weighed about 950. Last time we weighed him was July 28th. He weighed 925. So he is roughly gaining a pound a day, which isn't good at all.

That being said, State Fair is out. But the NILE show in Billings is in October. He needs to weigh 1100 I believe.

Any suggestions of comments if he'll make it?

Cherokee

We went to the Nile in Billings a couple years ago, fun show not much money at the sale especially for out of staters.  But it was a laid back fun show.  We really enjoyed it.

As far as your steer eating, how much are you feeding him?  What we have done in the past with fussy eaters is feed grain Monday through Saturday morning and night, grass hay at night, then on Sunday grass hay only. This gives their gut a break.  If we have one that completly goes off of grain we will just hay them as much as they want for a day or 2 then go back with 1/2 of their grain the first day then back full the 2nd day.  It is really hard to tell someone over the internet what to do when you are not there to evaluate the animal.

What is his poop like?  Is it loaded with grain? Smell sour? solid or loose? A steer eating the correct amount will have poo the consistancy of canned pumpkin pie filling.

Good luck!!

Colorado2009

I feed him 10 pounds a day. He only eats about 7 of it. I'd feed him more but he'd never clean it up.

His stool is pretty loose. There is barely any grain in it, just a few oats. It's a dark green color.

BCCC

Did walking him help any? Is he in with another steer? I take it that he isnt, do you have another steer you could put in with him?