Walks Alone reports

Help Support Steer Planet:

ranch4profit

MYT Farms said:
Not to knock anyone into the dirt, but for goodness sake, "like begets like" and the bull is only half the equation. Ya, ya, I know, he'll have this much more % influence in your cowherd and all that, but you can't take a good bull, breed him to a crappy cow, and expect to come out golden. Not saying anyone did, but you have to have good cows. Same goes for a good cow bred to a crappy bull. If you breed two good animals together, you're likely to get a good animal. My judging coach has two WA heifers and they are flat out good. Of course, he knows what he's doing with the clubby genetics, and that's a plus. Really crossed up bulls on really crossed up cows can give you some variation in the offspring. So even when you do breed a good cow to a good bull, you have to be educated in what bloodlines work on what and what body types compliment each other. Occasionally, you get a rotten egg, and that's part of the game. But you can't expect to put this bull on any cows you like and get a show stopper. Sorry, haven't had a good rant in a while and this helped.  ;D BTW, Brad, I like the calves I've seen out of WA and I'll be bidding on those two females my coach has this fall. If he sells them.  ;)
Please educate me. What blodlines does he work on?

MYT Farms

ranch4profit said:
MYT Farms said:
Not to knock anyone into the dirt, but for goodness sake, "like begets like" and the bull is only half the equation. Ya, ya, I know, he'll have this much more % influence in your cowherd and all that, but you can't take a good bull, breed him to a crappy cow, and expect to come out golden. Not saying anyone did, but you have to have good cows. Same goes for a good cow bred to a crappy bull. If you breed two good animals together, you're likely to get a good animal. My judging coach has two WA heifers and they are flat out good. Of course, he knows what he's doing with the clubby genetics, and that's a plus. Really crossed up bulls on really crossed up cows can give you some variation in the offspring. So even when you do breed a good cow to a good bull, you have to be educated in what bloodlines work on what and what body types compliment each other. Occasionally, you get a rotten egg, and that's part of the game. But you can't expect to put this bull on any cows you like and get a show stopper. Sorry, haven't had a good rant in a while and this helped.  ;D BTW, Brad, I like the calves I've seen out of WA and I'll be bidding on those two females my coach has this fall. If he sells them.  ;)
Please educate me. What blodlines does he work on?

I ain't no club calf breeder. I just buy good ones from my coach and let him tell me what'll work on 'em because he's been working with his cowherd's genetics for many years. Years of hard work produced two killer WA calves, not shot in the dark. There I got again. Tell you what, next time I'm over at his place, I'll get the bloodlines of those two cows and let ya know.

MYT Farms

Shinola. I'm on the wrong bull. I apologize R4P, I thought you were talking My Turn, the Hook bull that has been posted about so much lately. Got too many different bulls in my head. Sorry about that, my coach does have some really good My Turns, but no calves out of Walks Alone. Thought he was pretty decent at Denver though.

shortyjock89

Walks Alone wasn't at Denver. Walks on Water was there this year though. 

I don't wanna be an A$$, but when you breed cows to a mongrelized bull like Walks Alone, and with the way he looks and his Pedigree reads, you're gonna get some cripples and trainwrecks.

Bulldaddy

Olson Family Shorthorns said:
Walks Alone wasn't at Denver. Walks on Water was there this year though. 

I don't wanna be an A$$, but when you breed cows to a mongrelized bull like Walks Alone, and with the way he looks and his Pedigree reads, you're gonna get some cripples and trainwrecks.

Along with the cripples and trainwrecks, do you predict some good ones as well? Or should we just cut bait on this bull?

shortyjock89

I've seen some very nice calves out of him. I didn't mean to say he was a bad bull or anything, but just like with any other clubby bull, not all of them are gonna be five-figure show steers.

MYT Farms

I've seen some very nice calves out of him. I didn't mean to say he was a bad bull or anything, but just like with any other clubby bull, not all of them are gonna be five-figure show steers.
Justin, I need to have a cat scan or something. Get my brain examined. I've has my nose stuck in too many sire catalogs and am all messed up. Walks Alone, Stands Alone, Walks on Water, My Turn...... They're all the same.  (lol)

ranch4profit

[/quote

i agree might work well somewhere else... like i said i was somwhat disappointed. hope he worked well at your place

shortyjock89

ranch4profit said:
[/quote

i agree might work well somewhere else... like i said i was somwhat disappointed. hope he worked well at your place

Lol...I didn't use him. I won't use any bull their first year out. I don't even know what I'd use him on.  I will be trying some My Turn this year though.

TMJ Show Cattle

Call Eric Noonan in Bernard, Iowa. He has some Walks Alone calves. now mind you Eric's cows are mighty good,and that makes a difference.In fact I would bet he has one of if not the best twenty five head cowherd anywhere.he told me they looked good,but so does all the other calves he has.going down after the Pioneer Showdown April 24th and 25th to look over his calves.

SHAGGY

Heres the facts, the bull is one awesome clubby bull, i seen him back in june and i though he was freaking impressive to say the least. There are going to be people on here that think their club calf breeders and gripe cause every calf doesnt come out looking like he should be ready to walk in the ring. If your worried about birth weights or structure go do something else. There has always been that problem with cluby bulls and always will, a very well known club calf breeder once made a comment to me when flushing a cow together, that if you breed one to a wimpy type bull, your gonna get wimpy type calf. There is a reason we all take the risk on breeding to powerful type cattle. So tell me, how many angus steers have beat a cluby bred at any major shows? The bull is one heck of a bull, if you want to compete use him, if you want light birth weights raise Corrientes.

ranch4profit

If your worried about birth weights or structure go do something else.
So tell me, how many angus steers have beat a cluby bred at any major shows?

Not many angus will agree with you on that and the BW.
But you tell me how many champions you have seen at a major so lately that their front feet go oppsite directions are short strided,  hammer legged and straight pasturned. Since you say structure doesn't matter.
All the good cattle at the bigger shows are stout enough but its the structure that sorts them. <party>

knabe

ranch4profit said:
But you tell me how many champions you have seen at a major so lately that their front feet go oppsite directions are short strided,  hammer legged and straight pasturned. Since you say structure doesn't matter.

sexed semen should be mandatory.

SHAGGY

Funny, they seemed to have made it there didnt they. I seen Who Made Who several years ago and look how long he lasted. What was he 13 or so and still getting around fine despite his front legs. And I didnt say I didnt care about structure, i simply said you are going to have it SOME when breeding club calf, just deal with it or get out of the game and quit gripping.

TMJ Show Cattle

SHAGGY, you have hit the nail on the head.So many wannebe's,so little time.Hell, I've judged shows the past few years that almost every breed of purebred cattle had just as many structure problems as the crosses.Ask Dan May what he seen when judging Angus and Limmys at WBE last Sept.

ranch4profit

SHAGGY said:
Funny, they seemed to have made it there didnt they. I seen Who Made Who several years ago and look how long he lasted. What was he 13 or so and still getting around fine despite his front legs. And I didnt say I didnt care about structure, i simply said you are going to have it SOME when breeding club calf, just deal with it or get out of the game and quit gripping.
Guess you like standing 3rd 4th 5th 6th at the majors. Like i said structure sorts the cattle at the top. The ones that win are the thickest stoutest ones that have the best structure.