Wanted: Input on heifer

Help Support Steer Planet:

schafer angus

I would like to get everyones opinion on this heifer. She is a January of 08 reg. Angus heifer. She is an In Focus out of an 036 daughter. She was been shown and has been at the top, bottom and middle. So any thoughts or comments would be great.

2009_03080006.jpg

Cattledog

I really like her.  I guess my only complaint, which is with mostly every In Focus out there is her front end.  I would like to clean her up in that front 1/3. 

showsteer11

i really like this heifer as well and as far as clean front she isnt to bad for a reg angus

Ausley Family Farms

I really like her also. We have one that is bred the exact same way. She was a little slow starting, but when she hit about 4 months she turned it on. I would consider using a neck sweat on her to help clean up her neck line an jowle a little.

AAOK

First, I'm not a big Angus fan.  I do think she could show more femininity in her front end by being clipped differently.  I realize she is pulling on the halter in this picture, but it appears she is way too straight in her shoulder, down into her front leg.  She could also be a little pinched in the heart.  I can see why she might stand from first to last in a large class.  She is cool, but with a lot of areas for knit picking.

OH Breeder

Is the guy in the background making deals, looks serious. LOL

I like her. I am not an angus person. We usually only see Red White and Roan. LIke her length of body and her depth. If she were tied different it would change her up through her front. I don't think it is as straight as it appears. I think a tighter clip job on the front end will help. But nice little gal. I do not know what you are breeding for, but she look like she could be pretty versatile.

midway6376

I like her. I don't think that her front is too teribly bad. It does look like she gets a little piched in the heart. But with her being an In Focus I bet she is pretty thick for being an angus.

Cattledog

Do you have any idea what you are going to breed her too? There is a bull 'MCATL Reachout' .  Those calves are rocket fronted with good thickness.  He is a calving ease bull the only thing is you need to use him on something a little deeper.  I'd say your heifer fits the bill! 

ROMAX

I really like this heifer the only thing i could fault her on is she doesn't look femine too me(looks like a steer)but with a different clip job that could be changed.Should make an awesome cow later on,breed her to MEYER 734

LN

She'll make a really good cow. She's good enough to show, but not very flashy. She's a bit short necked and could stand some refinement in the front end. Also, maybe a teensy bit over conditioned?

Cattledog

ROMAX said:
I really like this heifer the only thing i could fault her on is she doesn't look femine too me(looks like a steer)but with a different clip job that could be changed.Should make an awesome cow later on,breed her to MEYER 734

What does 734 go for per straw? 

Cattledog

Wow! That's pretty expensive!  I figured since the post was started by Shafer Angus that they would want to keep her Angus.  I think that this heifer will make one whopper of a cow!  I know that the only time I would consider crossing one of my Angus is if I had a genetic defect or if someone had bought a flush off of me. 

PaddyO

Nice little Angus heifer you got there. You clean her front end a touch and give her a tick more bone she might be a great one! But she really looks good for an Angus. If you have already said, sorry, but what she out of?

schafer angus

She is an In Focus out of an 036 daughter. The 036 daughters dam was a precise power cow.

As far as breeding this heifer I was considering using Northern Improvement. I was thinking this because he will add the flash and is guaranteed calving ease. any other thoughts as far as breeding her?

I have seen reachout and liked his daughters, I am just not sure about using an 878 son on her.

Thank you all for the input so far and cant wait to hear about breeding her.  Andrew Schafer

Cattledog

Actually, Reachout is a Connealy Reflection son...so 878 is a little ways back there but I see what you are saying with the 036 lingering in the background.  I am flushing a New horizon cow to reachout but the linebreeding isn't near as concentrated.  Northern Improvement is a great fallback isn't he!  I think he would work.

TMJ Show Cattle

EL CAPITAN, ABERDEEN, JAYCEE"S RAMBLIN FEVER,. These cattle may not be the "NUMBER" cattle you Angus boys love so much,but if you want to raise some kick ass show calves,steers and heifers they are the real deal.