We make up an interesting group of cattle people from all over.

Help Support Steer Planet:

cowz

From Joe boy's comment about Hillbillies and my comment about Spudbillies it is apparent that we all hail from different parts of the country and we all have some really interesting stories to tell.

What goes on or what do some people do in your neck of the woods that is unique?  What is peculiar or fun???

We could really have a good time with this one.

OH Breeder

Maybe I am missing the boat, but here is a taste of farm life in Ohio.
I grew up in Northwest Ohio. I had a large family growing up. When we would have company or guest woudl come unexpectedly, my mother never turned a plate away. She always made plenty. IF we were short on seats, we would take a board, table board, and put it across the chairs.Ta Da...extra seats.  It sucked being on the ends. If someone moved, it would pinch you in the behind. It may not be regional but growing up in a big family was alot of fun. Along with that, in the summer we would don lots of flannel and mosqito spray and comb the creek banks for wild black raspberries. It was a group effort but made for some nice pie and jams in the winter time. Lots of sweating in the summer though digging through the briars in your flannel to protect your arms. As kids, we tried not to eat the berries before we got home. :-\ But, usually the purple lips and the empty pals would tell on us.
I came to know the seasons with food/work. Spring was cherries and garden, Summer was garden picking vegatables, and raspberries, strawberries, bailing straw clover and alfalfa. Wore lots of flannel in dead of summer bailing hay and straw as well. Never made much sense. When I showed up in cut offs , tank top and berkenstocks to cut hay one day my dad just shook his head. But, I had a great tan!  ;) Fall was Apples and locally there were some vegatable farms. We knew quiet a few of them. After the potato and carrot picker would go through, we would walk the fields and pick up the imperfect vegetables that the picker missed. All fall we would pack the cellar with food to make it through the winter and spring months. WInter was chores, shoveling snow, carrying hot water to the barn becasue the hydrant was frozen and de-iceing water tanks. Many late nites mid January or so, we sat up delivering pigs. We didn't crate them back then, we had 10 x10 farrowing pens. In the corner of everyone there was a heat lamp and we would take turns on the night shift delivering pigs in the dead of winter. This may not be much different than others but it is a snapshot of farm life in Ohio.
Oh, and there are a couple of months in the winter beileve it or not it is almost too cold to wash cattle. They freeze before you are done.
SO, I will quiet rambling. maybe this post is not what you are looking for but so be it.Kids today don't know what they are missing. ;)

red

My hubby's family is a hard working German group. Very strong in their faith, the work ethic & just plain good people.
Some of my favorite memories are of his mom, who raised 7 kids. We used to say if it walked across her yard, it ended up for supper! I remember her chasing down a stray goose that had the misfortune of wandering too close to her yard. Yep, that goose's goose was cooked! She used to make huge dinners (noon meal) for the boys, nephews & anyother person that was around. Saved everything. Being born during the depression, she had a fear of being without. I remember she saved the wrappers off of the cheese slices.
She welcomed me & my daughter with open arms & always made us feel like we had been there forever. When I had to take confirmation classes to become a memeber of the church, she took them with me to "refresh". she had a tough life but was a class act.
His dad was a character in himself. I could write a whole book on him alone. I'll save that for another time!

Being a "Buckeye" also has it's strange takes. Most people don't even know what a Buckeye is.
The Ohio Buckeye is the state tree of Ohio and an original term of endearment for the pioneers on the Ohio frontier, with specific association with William Henry Harrison. Subsequently, the word was used as the nickname of the Ohio State University sports teams and came to be applied to any graduate of the university.

The buckeye confection, made to resemble the tree's nut, is made by dipping a dollop of peanut butter fudge in milk chocolate, leaving a circle of the fudge exposed. These are a popular treat in Ohio, especially during the Christmas and NCAA college football seasons.

120_142005131133.jpg

Red

red

I'm going to have some fun w/ smileys & people for a while! If I miss you- sorry, I'll keep searching to find the right one for people!

DL-
Cowboy
Deep
Brahma Girl
Justme
ShowHeifer
Cowz
Austin
Jason
Telos
JoeBoy
showcattlegal
Shortdawg
Gypsy
OH Breeder
Jill
Genes
Chambero
Barrel Racer
GaryBob
A3 (if he was here)
AJ
SJ cattle
Knabe
Red

genes

Those are just awesome Red....thanks for the laugh.

I don't know, what animal in particular your mom catches for dinner (and yes....we always called dinner a big noon meal too) aside, you will probably find many similarities between us all no matter where we grew up, simply because of being rural.  The hard working, growing your own food sort of lifestyle.  But OHBreeder, can't say I wore the flannel.  Rubber boots, oh yes....what DID they do before those were invented.

red

Genes- yours is supposed to be a zombie!  (clapping)

If I left anyone out & they have a hobby, job or anything interesting let me know. I'll try to match something up. Some I did personalities (Showhef), some jobs (Telos) & some hobbies or passions (DL).
It was fun, but maybe I need a life!!!!

Red

genes

Oh a Zombie...I thought it was referring to me staying up until 3 am the other night and feeling awfully "dead" the next day.  Hahaha.  Now it's twice as funny.  I like Show Heifer's and Law Dawgs.  They are all good.

Up North

Thanks Red !  Now.....try to figure out how to put an insemination gun in my smileys hand chasing down a cow !!  (lol) 

red

Believe it or not, cow smileys are really hard to find. We had another one but as Admin said earlier, it is a little questionable for the board.

Red

Joe Boy

Red you have to have time to burn to come up with such a wonderful salute to our board buddies....

Here we generally are looking for rain, love the shade in summer and a good fire in the winter.  In our world alfalfa hay and cotton made our country what they are, but with the depletion of water during the droughts the hay has not been irrigated.  I have carried irrigation pipe many miles, stacked hay for a penny per bale and paid my way through college doing it.  I have watched my dad and mom go from being among the poorest to being able to live in their own house and their own farm.  We picked cotton and hoed cotton for others when I was a kid, wore no shoes except to school and church, hand milked cows, sold eggs and cream for a little to buy sugar, ice and chocolate.  We raised our own garden, killed our own hogs and calves until granddad died and dad did not have the time to do all that by himself.... I learned early to hate white rock roosters and love little calves and puppies...  We could not talk of calves being born or working calves or what the bull did.... a cow never had a calve but found it...  life was pure and simple and HARD... entertainment was listening to the lone ranger on radio on Saturday nights at grandmothers or if dad had the money was going to the drive in movie for a $1 per car load.  The family car was also our pickup and hauled our two wheel trailer full of cotton to the gin or calves to sale and the harvest hands to town on Saturday but not children.  Sand storms that put the chickens to roost in the middle of the afternoon and hail that stripped every leaf off the cottonwood trees and killed every bird old enough to die..... playing baseball every day at dinner with dad and my brother.... baling hay all night for 3 nights in a row without sleep in the day.... riding a bus to school.... shooting birds with a BB gun.... having sows to chase you when you weaned the pigs.... pulling your first baby lamb without any help or prior knowledge...  hunting for a lost sister who wondered off with a dog and hearing the joy of my mother cry when I found her and brought her back on the tractor... watching mother cry when I got blood poison from swimming in a stale tank....  going to school and listening to the old timers sing hymns....  going on Ag trips....  hunting my first quail....  making cows think I was a coyote late at night....  watch it rain 10 inches in an afternoon and not be able to get off our farm.... holding the front door shut while the storm took the front porch and carried it over the house and the glass break and sticks in my back.... while dad held the other door and then wearing a coat in July with hail a foot deep on the ground and some staying until the next morning....  watch my dad as he struggled to pay bills in a year when he drilled our first irrigation well and bought a mile of pipe for rented ground.... going to college without a car and having never been far from home and not knowing anyone... having dad to pick me up on the last day of school  to go home and stack hay all night with the measles and a 103 temp.... eating home made goodies... mom was a great cook and made our clothes.... once because I wanted boxer underware like dad's she made me a pair from a flower sack.... watching my first TV program and getting a whipping for it, as I got off the bus at a buddies house and watched Howdy Doodie and walked a mile home.... having a sister to cook for us while mom stayed with my grandmother to complete her college degree.... my parents never own anything until I was out of college... my sister and I worked our way through... my younger brother and younger sister had it easier but they helped mom and dad get what they got in life too.....  not having a dime to spend on anything but what supplies you had to have in college was tough but it was a joy to get a care package from mother with all the homemade goodies and I would give my right arm to have her be able to do that today....

austin

red said:
I'm going to have some fun w/ smileys & people for a while! If I miss you- sorry, I'll keep searching to find the right one for people!

DL-
Cowboy
Deep
Brahma Girl
Justme
ShowHeifer
Cowz
Austin
Jason
Telos
JoeBoy
showcattlegal
Shortdawg
Gypsy
OH Breeder
Jill
Genes
Chambero
Barrel Racer
GaryBob
A3 (if he was here)
AJ
SJ cattle
Knabe
Red

LOL, that's me.

red

I looked at OH Breeder's closer & I want everyone to know that's a regular cigarette in the mouth not a funny one! didn't want the wrong impression of him to get out!!!!

Red

red

I can laugh at this but it looks too much like me having a seizure!

"If you can't laugh at yourself, you shouldn't laugh at anyone!" A Red motto!

Red

Show Heifer

The tazmania devil huh? I like it....definately me!! And certainly a compliment!
Just weaned lambs this morning, sold some cull ewes, and still checking cows to calve (I don't want to peak to soon!!)
I'll do a run down of my life later....have several coming to pick up semen and don't want to keep them waiting!!!

red

Show Hef- it is really you! Actually Taz is my favorite of the cartoons. I just love the way he whirls around. You got to admit you love to stir up things too!

Red