Attachments

• weebollabolla theodore.jpg
    weebollabolla theodore.jpg
    31.3 KB · Views: 322
  • Weebollabolla Theodore T85.jpg
    Weebollabolla Theodore T85.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 348

Dale

Is that the same bull--Weebollabolla Theodore & T85?  I've looked him up on the Shorthorn Society of Australia website, and I don't recall that there are two Weebollabolla Theo's.  He has around a thousand offspring Down Under--we have had a couple of his calves.

huntaway

There is only one Weebollabolla Theodore and they are both photos of him.

librarian

Just cruising around studying Canadian bulls.  I think Duke of Dublin is a ringer for Theodore, or the other way around, not sure who came first.

Attachments

• Duke of Dublin.jpg_thumb.png
    Duke of Dublin.jpg_thumb.png
    103.6 KB · Views: 1,062
  • Weebollabolla Theodore T85.jpg_thumb.png
    Weebollabolla Theodore T85.jpg_thumb.png
    102.6 KB · Views: 1,077

justintime

librarian said:
Just cruising around studying Canadian bulls.  I think Duke of Dublin is a ringer for Theodore, or the other way around, not sure who came first.

Duke was born in 1980 and we imported him from Ireland in 1983. He was long gone before Theodore was born. Duke walked our pastures here for several years. I will always remember him fondly as he was one of the quietest bulls I ever had. When he saw me coming into the pasture he would walk towards the truck. I would stop and roll the window down and he would stick his long head through the window and lay it in my lap so I could give him a scratch. I took this picture of him and I also remember how frustrated I was. All he wanted to do was run back and forth in the pasture and after about 2 hours of me following him, he stopped suddenly. I held my breath hoping he would not move and walked closer to him and snapped this picture. The American Shorthorn Association used it in their breed promotion for several years afterwards. He came at the right time, but he would not be accepted as readily today.

justintime

Doc said:
justintime said:
He came at the right time, but he would not be accepted as readily today.

He might not be, but he sure made some good cows.

doc... that is right. The Duke daughters were generally very good. If they were from a marginal milking cow, his daughters were the same. If they were from a good milking dam, they were exceptional momma cows.
There were some pretty good Duke sons as well. In 1984 we sold 5 Duke sons to a rancher in Colorado for an average price of $3800. That would be a pretty high price in today's dollars. He was so impressed with the calves off them that he phoned and purchased 4 more the next spring ( sight unseen) and never quibbled for a moment when we asked the same price.

GM

I recall Duke also sired a two time Denver champion, Fastrack, who in turn sired tons of popular cattle in the late 80's and 90's.

SJcattle

I think that Theodore is applicable today, but you have to breed him to the right type of cow to achieve this. I purchased semen last spring and spoke with Nic Jobs in regards to the types of cattle that "click" with theo. He said the good ones are from a moderate, volumous cow. If you breed him to larger framed cows without the volume, that's exactly what you get in turn. We had our first theo calf from a first calver and we are extremely pleased. Mainly we had used him strictly for the calving ease, but the two have clicked so far. The real test will be the fall, but I have high hopes for this calf. He is out of an Alta Cedar Prairie Storm 47R daughter. I've attached a few pictures of the calf I took on the weekend. We have another theo due the first part of March, one that I am highly anticipating.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    180.8 KB · Views: 322
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    190.6 KB · Views: 361

librarian

Another part of the Great Canadian Wind Fence!
I would be really happy with a calf like that. Could you post a picture of the dam or one similar to the type you have found him to nick with.
Any feedback on Theo daughters?
Am I understanding that there is not a lot of predictability in Theodore offspring because he has a wide gene base? If he doesn't fix anything, is there something in particular that he adds?
I would address the same question to the Duke of Dublin.
Are these two bulls similar in frame size? (Duke and Theo)
And...Does anyone know the story on this bull, Weebollabolla Alderman
Photo Copyright: Weebollabolla Stud - Austrália

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    116.6 KB · Views: 206

huntaway

librarian said:
I would be really happy with a calf like that. Could you post a picture of the dam or one similar to the type you have found him to nick with.
Any feedback on Theo daughters?
Am I understanding that there is not a lot of predictability in Theodore offspring because he has a wide gene base? If he doesn't fix anything, is there something in particular that he adds?
I would address the same question to the Duke of Dublin.
Are these two bulls similar in frame size? (Duke and Theo)
And...Does anyone know the story on this bull, Weebollabolla Alderman
Photo Copyright: Weebollabolla Stud - Austrália

Theodores strength is that he adds fat cover. His epd is +3 and going back a few years breed average was approaching -2, its now -.5 and Theodore is a major reason for this. For grass finishing many of the shorthorns had got way to lean. His spread of BWT to growth and calving ease is also good.

I would agree with the advice from SJcattle. I would think he is very predictable in his strengths but adding volume isn't his strength.
We have found his daughters very good enough milk and able to maintain condition, calve and get in calf what I want a cow to do.

My current AI sire has a couple of shots of Theodore and looking for a new sire for this or next year and probably a good chance it will have some Theodore in it

justintime

Here is a daughter of Theodore that we have in our herd. She is one of my favorite cows as she stays in this condition year round. She has a perfect udder and is fertile and very productive. She will enter our ET program after she calves this spring and I am selling a flush in her in our online "Frozen in Time" embryo and flush sale Jan 29th-30th.
If all Theodore daughters are like her, he is a great sire!~

Attachments

• Waukaru Melita Rose 7048.jpg-2-07-03-14.jpgsm.jpg
    Waukaru Melita Rose 7048.jpg-2-07-03-14.jpgsm.jpg
    65.1 KB · Views: 298

SJcattle

librarian said:

I don't have any recent pictures of the heifer, however, I have attached a picture of her on pasture this past summer as a bred. Hopefully this helps you. :)

HAHA! Yes, the endless wind fence of Canada! ;)

Attachments

• 10a.jpg
    10a.jpg
    424.7 KB · Views: 342

mark tenenbaum

justintime said:
Here is a daughter of Theodore that we have in our herd. She is one of my favorite cows as she stays in this condition year round. She has a perfect udder and is fertile and very productive. She will enter our ET program after she calves this spring and I am selling a flush in her in our online "Frozen in Time" embryo and flush sale Jan 29th-30th.
If all Theodore daughters are like her, he is a great sire!~/// Jaime Diamond posted an older picture of a cow that went back to Deertrail Goliath that looks ALOT like this one-The cows at Deertrail back in the day also looked alot like this one as well-Although shes a good distance way in the picture. O0

SJcattle

We have had our last Weebollabolla Theodore T85 calf hit the ground on Feb 27th. We are pretty excited about the combo. 93lb bull calf unassisted. I've attached pictures of the calf (I took them today so he is 1 week old), as well as a picture of the cow.

Attachments

• JAM18T.jpg
    JAM18T.jpg
    374.2 KB · Views: 302
  • JLD18C.jpg
    JLD18C.jpg
    444.7 KB · Views: 306