Well for better or worse the calves have been picked for this coming year

Help Support Steer Planet:

kvhranch

Our county fair is definately a black steer show.  I think there were 2 non black animals there last year.  And mainly angus.  Well, looks like we are going to have a red angus - but really really nice  - and a hereford.  The hereford breeder almost tried to talk us out of it because he won't win with that one.  But with his last year being soooo bad dealing with the rank SOB we had, we really wanted to try and build his confidence with a much more mellow steer.  The Angus is coming from grandpa so not much choice there - though my dad and brother say he's the best calf they've ever had and they have raised mainly of the 1st place steers in their county and had the grand champion one at least one year.  So I have no doubt he's nice.  And the hereford breeder (85 years old and still taking care of his cows everyday) had already sold all his steers but had held back 5 or 6 of the best for replacement bulls and said we could have 1 of those - so should be a nice steer.

Will post pictures after Thanksgiving once we get them all home.  We will stick out like a sore thumb next year, but hopefully it will be a more fun year for the boy.

For fair they have to be between 1050 and 1450 with the first weigh in being in February and the final the end of July.  There is no rate of gain requirement to sell at fair even though there is a rate of gain contest.  Both calves are around 500+ right now so we are going to do our best to get them fed up as near 1000 as we can by the feb weigh in and then just work on maintaining and finishing until fair.  We struggled so hard with weight last year and a couple of the leaders recommended that for us for this year. 

I hate being new in something and not knowing at all what we are doing.

LittleHeifer

if can find it try fresh start it helps alot with weight gain. I know how it is to struggle to make weight. I wouldn't push them to gain weight that fast. put them on grain w/ fresh start and lts of hay, slowly get them on grain if they haven't been otherwise if you push too much too quickly you will upset thier systems and they will end up with the runs. the fresstart will help keep them on their grain, its like a candy to them. once they are on it you can up it every couple weeks to evey week. they will gain fine throughout the year. we had a boy who weighed 1000 at our march weigh in and ended up with a too fat steer and didn't place or grade well. let your son know we are all rooting for him and to go out and do his thing not worry bout anybody else and just have fun. many judges have told me that is what they want to see, not too serious poeple who act like they know it all and get p***ed if they don't do well. just have fun, and if people say your crazy and you do win and they flip just say hey dont you know red is this years black. ;D lol
little heifer (angel)

LostFarmer

A friend told us when we started feeding steers that it was like voting in Chicago.  Do it early and often.  LOL

We are also going to blow the doors off of convention.  My sons ended up 1 and 2 at our little county fair.  Not that we are all that great but the boys had the steers fat and ready on show day.  The rumors started flying about how we cheated by buying a ringer.  Not sure how a $600 calf is a ringer but you know.  This year we have 3 market heifers and one of those is a hereford.  The boys figured that we won with steers now lets see what we can do with some heifers.  To be honest I pity the judge because those are 3 nice heifers all of a slightly different style.   We will see.  It isn't about winning it is about having fun.  A quiet steer makes for a good first project and they can be more competitive as they move forward.  LF

kvhranch

LostFarmer said:
 A quiet steer makes for a good first project and they can be more competitive as they move forward.  LF

That's exactly what we are thinking.  He was ready to not do one at all again last year fair.  Hard when your 9 year old tells you his favorite thing about fair was that at least he didn't get killed.  And that stupid steer had his number.  So even though we don't want to offend his grandpa by not taking a steer (it's already drama cause we are getting the hereford which they think is stupid) at least one of them might be mellow.  Maybe it will even rub off on the other guy.

And we are starting way earlier on halter breaking.  Last year, we got the guy in Feb, like 2 weeks before weighin.  This year with starting by the first of Dec, hopefully they will be much easier to break.  They have a blow and go practice show at the first weighin and I'm really hoping the boy can try that this year.

LostFarmer

We are breaking ours now.  My 9 yo was a whopping 56 lbs.  It was nip and tuck a time or two but he survived.