What do I tell my Little girl

Help Support Steer Planet:

startingover

What do I tell my Little girl when she leaves her best friend at the fair!! She has been showing for 3 years and had a great year with her Salty Dog calf.  But she is beside herself about leaving him at the fair. I must admit I also was a little sad to drive away.  We have lots of pictures and the trophy and Banner he won but I have a really sad little girl on my hands.

rtmcc

I can relate! Our son Bodie has been showing for a number of years but this was his first year he was old enough to go to our county fair.  On the way to the sale ring with his steer I heard him say " last time for the show halter Billy." We both shed a tear.  He showed him at 9 shows, won two supremes and one reserve (county fair) with him and numerous showmanships with his bred and owned "The Headliner" calf.  We only sell the premium so Billy came home with us until his locker date in a few weeks. The kids pulled him out and practiced doing legs on him today.  We got the new calves in the show barn today which always seems to help.  But I know the morning of August 14th is going to suck for the whole family.

It's hard but it's all part of the learning life experiences that makes our kids stronger than the rest.

Ron
<cowboy>

frostback

I told mine that a steers life is sealed and he will go to "town", "processing", "die" whatever you want for this, at one point in time or another. Their fate is sealed, but the kid gave him a great time while he was here. He had  great life while he was with her. It really dosnt get easier with the hours you spend with these steers. This year will be hard on the both of us again. Getting next year project does seem to get ones mind going forward and not dwelling on the past.

willow

We just went through the same thing about a week ago.  It wasn't easy, but I think honesty is the best thing.  Of course keep it kid friendly and maybe don't elaborate too much, but let your child know the truth and explain it in terms of she/he is helping feed the world and maybe if your child seems interested in meat and the cuts of meat get into that a little.  We have a daughter that is five and of course she is attached to everything with fur around this place.  Well she started asking questions and we told her the truth and that the steak/pork chops/bacon that she loves to eat comes from these animals.  She is also comforted by the thought of these animals being in heaven.?.  Just go with what works for you and your family, but honesty is ALWAYS the best policy.  Good luck :(

herfluvr

First.  Congratulations! (clapping)  Not only on the win but on teaching her about a life lesson.  I think if we don't feel bad, we haven't had whole experience of raising a market animal.  My son is now 18.  We have more issues with selling those darn pigs as he has not taken many steers.  When he was little I told him his steer and pigs were pretty lucky.  We cannot change their fate but we can give them the best life possible and we do.  Everyday.  ANd if we are good stewards of our animals they reward us with life for us.  Now this is just my opinion but we don't put them on the fair trucks.  We take them home.  Rehydrate them and haul them to their "appointment" ourselves.  We do not wish for them to stand in a lot for a week or more, on  whatever feed the lot has and stress.  This is just the way we do it and we have had the same buyers for years.  They also get their meat in a timely manner and are thrilled with the quality.  We put 1 steer on the state fair truck.  Winners have to go of course but that was a rough one for all of us.  We now take heifers to state only.  Again, good job.  It sounds like you are on the road to winning in and out of the pen.

blinggirl

its something we all learn in life ...my grandma told me the other day ..remember when you started 4-h and you had  to sell your first steer and you come running to be crying " gma did you know they are making me sell number 9 ( the steer i had ,i was super clever naming my steers at age 8) but i sold him and many more through the years ..the worst was when i was 16 i had a hereford steer he won many breed champions all summer and did well at state fair ...i cried the day they took him from the house ...we missed kevin

simba

I know how your daughter feels. A few years ago I had an amazing steer, not conformation wise, but his temperament was like no other. He was awesome to handle, showed himself off, was crazy cocky, but dog gentle. I picked him out when he was 2 days old and halterborke him at a month. Then I convinced my buyer to let me keep "Obama" for 3 extra months so I could show him all summer. I was so attached to that steer! The thing that got me through saying good bye was knowing that I would have many more steers to raise and I could keep my heifers forever if that's what I wanted. If I were you I would try to get her to focus on the next animals she will be raising and remind her that she can spend the money she made on her steer on another steer that may be just as great. Encourage her to talk about her steer. It's a really unique bond that people have with cattle! Congratulations on your/her winnings!

Tallcool1

I have made it clear that they are not pets.  We take care of them, but they are not pets.

We do not name our steers.  They are just the Heatwave Steer, or the Walks Alone Steer.

I took my kids out to a LARGE feedlot, and drove through the pens.  I told them that whenever they feel that the fate of their steers is "inhumane", remember the alternative.  No heat, no AC, no baths, fighting for their feed, snow and mud......

We talk a lot about how they are literally changing the cattle industry in the show ring.  Blood lines, feed programs, rations, and the list goes on and on. 

The truth is, it is harder for me than it is for the kids.

GHCC

Ironic that this post is here today.  I just took both of my sons' steers to the locker this morning.  It was the youngest boys first year and allthough he has grown up around the livestock industry he was not at all happy with today's reality.  I spent most of last evening explaining how that is the purpose of a steer to end up in the food supply.  I reasoned with him that it was best that he realized he had provided his animal with the best care and raising possibleand by maintaining ownership up till slaughter he was able to make sure that his steer had the best life he could expect.  NO SALE!  He was not going to bite. ;)  The ironic part was that when I reached the local locker, our Res Grand Steer would not come out of the trailer!  He would not lead, would not drive, would not be pushed, He was not going!  I finally let another calf out of the front of the trailer and he followed him in.  I told my wife later he almost broke my heart also.  

The truth is that if you and your children put the time and care into these cattle that is required, you are going to get attached.  Wether you are 10 or 50 it happens.  The reality of a meat animals life is not always pleasant but ultimately it is the livestock business and it is the life we choose and someone has to feed the people.

jd438

This can be a tricky subject.  I cannot recall an instance with our show steers where I felt like I couldn't sell him.  I grew up on a diversified livestock farm, dairy cows, farrow to finish hogs, and crops.  From a very young age I knew what it meant to care for animal and at some point you load it on the trailer and market that animal.  I knew when I bought my first steer that it was temporary ownership.  I always looked forward to getting the most out of them, and cashing the check, and finding the next years animal or animals.  With the pigs I really looked forward to see the carcass data after they went to kill.  I guess I was so proud to sell an animal that someone was going to eat and enjoy.  I never ate one of my steers, but always joked that we could be eating said oddly named steer at any meal.  I kept a scrapbook with pictures of the new and finished calf and major events along the way.  Maybe a newspaper article, a ribbon from a win that meant a lot.  I think I even have some check stubs from the sales.  The livestock industry is a great learning tool for youth; how to win, how to lose, how sometimes you don't have to get first to win, hard work, managing money, making business decisions, learning where your food comes from, and making friends.
Now when we sold the milk cows I balled my eyes out, knowing full well we would never have milk cows again. 

J2F

Man I don't envy you and I am not looking forward to my turn.  But you know they should be sad, at least for the first few until they learn to accept. Any time you spend that much time with another living creature you should be sad to see it go. Does not matter if it is going to " California, heaven or the pasture down the road". IMO

Limiman12

My dad is 60, I am 35, my daughter is 5.  We bought a five year old former show bull last summer that hurt his "equipment".  We have known for three months that that old bull has to go, but he is so doggone gentle my daughter loves him, and we hate to see him go.....

Same is true with some of the old cows, they have been in the herd so long and been so productive you are crushed the first time the vet looks up and says "open".    Even thought they dont get the individual attention they have been there looking back at you for 14 years since the day you tag them as a calf.  They become part of the family.

Idiots that think farmers don't genuinely care for their animals would be well benifitted by reading threads like this.

I wonder about this already with my daughter, I remember being crushed the first sale day.  I got through it, and I know she will too, but we might show heifers the first few years......

steerjock17

As said, sad day, even for pops.... but found a way to ease the pain for the lil ones...

We sold ours at sale barn, but before hand I found what should be the buyer of fats, and told him to please tell my son that the steers will be going to a petting zoo in a near by large city so the city kids could have a chance to be close to a large steer with no danger.... so you can strech it how ever you want, but it worked!

Hope it helps.

Freddy

North central -- Nebraska on highway 183 - 30 mi
iN MY OPINION this should be discussed honestly or let the kids kinda figure it out like they do with SANTA ,HAVE A FRIEND that had a steer from me called MADER ,THEY SHOWED HIM DONE WELL ,sold and received a premium for showing ,made plans to take to butcher and couple months later ate  steaks with family out of MADER and  talked about show and one boy thought he sure tasted good ....Went to a speaker from Florida once that said for beef producer's this kinship that people have with their pets ,interfere's  with peoples ability to consume animals in there diet ,this is people that don't have the every day contact with animals and livestock or grew up in the Agriculture  envirnment ....

blinggirl

I cant recall the time we have had to halter the "show steer" to get him off the trailor at the packing plant or the sale barn .... sad day but you really understand how much you appericate what you do when you relise that your helping Ag

startingover

Thanks for all the feedback. It has been a few days now and my little girl is doing fine. We have the county carcass show on wensday night. She says she wants to go and get the results but doesn't want to go into the cooler and actually see him. Ive been involved with animals for over 40 years now and haven't ever had a problem seeing that side of the equation but for the first time I probably wont go in and see him either some how it just doesn't see right? ???

bruiser

Sounds like you've done a good job of explaining the " facts of life" to your little girl, my compliments to you. By doing this you have made future decisions easier. I think you made the right choice by laying the facts out and letting the kid make their own mind up. Bravo !!!!

RidinHeifer

Hey, whatever she wants to do.  Sounds to me like she's recovering pretty well.  If you aren't sure about it, maybe do want she wants you to do?  I know if in that  situation I would want to know what it looked like, but not necessarily by seeing it myself.  I also wouldn't want to be standing just outside or in the lobby area by myself either.

BLININ

I just went through this with my little niece, eventhough she knows steers are meat and they get their head lopped off from a early age, this was her first steer( we mainly show heifers and has had an amazing year you can see her on page 86 of the new show circuit) sorry I had to say that! She had a Hereford steer that was her friend her words! I left the fairgrounds after the auction as we had took everything home she stayed with a horse friend I get a call at 11:30 with her crying ( broke my heart) she wanted his ear tags I said we couldn't get them! Remind me of my first steer Herbie when they brought me his halter I was a mess, mom said suck it up that way it has to work to this day probably why I like showing heifers!!!