What do ya'll think of this exciting bull calf?

Help Support Steer Planet:

bull or steer?

• bull

Votes: 5 22.7%
  • steer

Votes: 17 77.3%

• Total voters

RyanChandler

Looks like a female in all 3 pictures to me. Especially in the middle pic.  Even appears to have a wedge shaped barrel in the top pic. Whether or not that's desirable in your industry idk.

Sassy2899

here is my advice...if you are questioning to leave him a bull, then you need to cut him.  I don't want to come off mean here but I think the cattle industry has enough bulls that people thought would make it and didn't.  Yes he is good looking, but he isn't that stand out, eye catching bull.  In other words I have cows that look like him, I want to fix that not mate to the same thing.

BlkAngus

This calf just doesn't read bull to me.  Maybe it's the breed, but I like a bull to look masculine, not feminine.

hevmando

I agree with Sassy, if you have to ask, he should be a steer.  Look at any stud book.  There are some awesome looking bulls that get little to no use annually for whatever reason.  How many promo bulls disappear in a year?  These are phenotypically very good bulls, and maybe should be used more, but for whatever reason do not.  Ask yourself what does he bring to the breed that is not being served?  Why should you use him instead of another bull?  Now even very popular bulls are not liked by all, but he should fill a need in the industry, not just a dream/hope of selling the next big thing.  That said, if you know you have a market for this type of animal for someone that he can improve their herd, then maybe he will make you more money than as a steer.  Consider your final market.  Listen to what the judge says at the Jr Nationals, that will be one more opinion from a first hand observer.  Good Luck!

Diamond

I think your looking at this the wrong way, you have to consider what you want out of him. Do you plan to run him over your own cows? If not, who are you targeting as your potential buyer and at what price? If your simply hoping to sell him to a local commercial guy at a base price say $1200-$1800 you should start contacting people in that side of the indestry. If your hoping to go further with him, taking him to the shows and winning would be your best bet. However, no one in the show indestry is going to be interested in a high % maine bull who's not proven in some aspect...unless your a big time guy who walks on water and can market like a champ without needing actual evidence of their bulls performance.

Ehem, that being said I personally cut everything unless I have people I know are going to take a bull, I plan on using a bull, or I intend to send said bull to a bull test that includes a sale following his days there. I have also never left one of my maine or clubby bulls intact unless they are sold as is prior to weaning. Its just not worth the cost to raise them to their 'best' when they to easily fall apart. I also will cut anything that's dam I find any fault with.

Personnaly I would never consider your calf as bull material,  not that he doesn't have some good points but the udder on his dam is not something I would want passed along in volume. Hes not a steer making kind of bull. Period.  So what he can bring to the table is not sufficient enough. Just my 2 cents as is anyone here.

ZNT

I asked a similar question to this about a calf of ours several months ago.  And also got similar answers, ranging from yes, definitely keep him a bull to just take the calf to the sale barn and cut my losses.

I am assuming Ryan is asking the same question that I did."Which direction will get me the most value out of this calf".  Where I think a lot of people get off track when people are asking if a calf should be kept a bull, and that is not every calf that is kept a bull is supposed to be collected and marketed as an A.I. sire.  Secondly, the Maine Anjou breed has a lot bigger purpose than to be for producing show ring cattle.  The Maine Anjou breed was brought to the US because the could add growth, muscle, and milk to the British cattle.  Same as the Simi's, Chi's, Char's, etc.  If you all truly look around at the commercial cowherds throughout the US, you will see that it would not take much of a bull to improve the genetic base in their herds, and just because a bunch of clubby breeders won't a.i. cows to a bull, doesn't mean a bull can not make a difference in the beef industry, or maybe just one small commercial cattleman's herd that does it for a little extra income and a lot of enjoyment.

Now about the calf.  I am not sure he will go on to be a competitive show steer, but he does have the genetics to make a useful bull.  The million dollar question is if you have the customers for bulls like this that are willing to pay more than the added cost you will have in the calf above taking him to market as a calf, or fattening him up and selling him as freezer beef.

Cattle Cards

I may not be very popular with my candid answer, but if you have to ask, you have to cut him.  We all get caught up in the hype of the promotional bulls each year.  IMO, half of them should be cut.  And if you're bull is high % Maine, then ask yourself, does he have to potential to go win breed shows, not as a fat calf all fit up with lots of hair, but as a yearling and/or 2 year old bull at the State Fair level for instance.  I not saying he's not a nice calf but we all have to be honest when we evaluate what we are deciding to keep as breeding stock.  And someone stated he too high of a % to be a steer.  Register him so that whom ever buys him can show him at breed shows and in the Maine div. at their jackpots and fairs... 

Mainevent

The bull won his class at Jr. Nationals and looked real good in the final drive. Stood behind two older bulls but overall I think I made the right decision on leaving him a bull.

simba

Mainevent said:
The bull won his class at Jr. Nationals and looked real good in the final drive. Stood behind two older bulls but overall I think I made the right decision on leaving him a bull.

Congratulations! Do you have a picture of him there?

Mainevent

Here's some updated unfit and up close pics of the bull in the Texas heat.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    151.7 KB · Views: 225
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    192.6 KB · Views: 209

knabe

he's looking better.

let him out of the halter, kneel down and take a picture his belly level.

Mainevent

Yeah, he's a lot softer middled than this pic shows. I'm the first to admit I'm not very good at picturing. He looks a lot better in person

RyanChandler

If one were to take a tape and measure his heart girth and then measure his flank 'girth,' which measurement would read greater?

knabe

-XBAR- said:
If one were to take a tape and measure his heart girth and then measure his flank 'girth,' which measurement would read greater?

please provide a breakdown of your cattle with real data as an example.

what ratio do you select for.  do you have measurements on all your cattle.

do you obtain/provide this information when you buy/sell cattle.

RyanChandler

The specific measurements aren't nearly as important as the proportions.  All my females at least 'appear' to have a greater flank girth creating the desirable FEMALE wedge shape.  Bulls on the other hand should measure largest at their chest girth with their chest floor being the lowest point of the body.

knabe

-XBAR- said:
The specific measurements aren't nearly as important as the proportions.  All my females at least 'appear' to have a greater flank girth creating the desirable FEMALE wedge shape.  Bulls on the other hand should measure largest at their chest girth with their chest floor being the lowest point of the body.

measure them and post it for context.  appearances can be deceiving.  don't ask someone to do something you are not willing to do yourself.

RyanChandler

Appearances can be deceiving, I agree -especially in pictures- But that's why I asked the owner in the event the picture didn't accurately reflect the proportions.