What do you charge or pay for fitting?

Help Support Steer Planet:

flacowman

I have fitted for several friends at shows for years but this year I am thinking about trying to make a little money at it.  I can fit as well or better than anyone around here so that isn't an issue.  What have you paid or charged for clipping and fitting services at local jackpots and county fairs?

Thanks in advance.

flacowman

pm me if you don't want everyone to know, forgot to tell everyone that

RAShower

$50 a head. With a bonus if we have one that advances and has to go back in.

herfluvr

50 to 75.  Depends on the show and um...usually a case of beer. (lol)

afhm

Those prices seem a little low unless the person you hire is already at the show and helping other people there also. $50 won't even fill a pickup up.

RAShower

afhm said:
Those prices seem a little low unless the person you hire is already at the show and helping other people there also. $50 won't even fill a pickup up.

Well, if we are going to be bringing them in we will pay them + expenses but they do our cattle only. (if they are professional and do a professional job they get a bonus too) And if we are done with unfitting and wash down they then are free to fit for others.

We have had trouble with rush jobs and leaving us to do others and then want us to pick up supply, food and motel costs. Uh sorry. :mad:

BadgerFan

I've gotten anywhere from room and board and a little booze (inlaw's cattle) ,to telling a buddy "you can help me next time", to around $100 a day and expenses.  Depends who it is and the degree of effort required.  Rates will also depend on the level of fit job required- if you need to max out one hairball cooler steer you'll need more per head than if you are doing 5+ slicked off breeding heifers.  Remember this is "skilled" labor you're hiring, if you offer "unskilled" pay that's the kind of help you'll get.  Pay a fair wage and you have the right to expect a good job done in return.

linnettejane

those of you that say $price + "expenses".......what would typical expenses be???? 

and what exactly does that $50-$100 cover? will you be at the wash rack for $100 a day???

shortyjock89

linnettejane said:
those of you that say $price + "expenses".......what would typical expenses be???? 

and what exactly does that $50-$100 cover? will you be at the wash rack for $100 a day???

A hotel, at least one meal, supplies are all things that could be called expense.  For 100/day I'll take care of just about anything....unless you have like 15 calves and I have to do it alone. 

ROAD WARRIOR

I seldom work for people that I don't know pretty well. I guess I'm getting old and hard to get along with but after being out on the road for over 30 years I guess I'm entitled to that. Standard rate is $200.00 a day, plus expences - 2 meals, a place to sleep and travel expences. I will be waiting on you when you get to tie outs every morning and be the last one to leave at night. We figure one man per four head. As a general rule I would preferr that unless you know what you are doing, for you to stay out of my way and promote your cattle to the people looking at them. I will have your cattle looking as close to 12 oclock as they are capable of that day, it's your job to promote them. I will not tolerate the "crew" standing behind the stalls with a beer in their hand all day - there are beer gardens for a reason and if you are standing behind the stall with a beer in your hand you're probably not working anyway. If I bring my "crew" in we will do it all, from washing, blowing, clipping, fitting, feeding, right down to sweeping the isle behind your cattle. No radio blaring at top volume, no trash pile around the show box. We are there to represent your cattle to the best of our abilities and take the job very seriously. RW

Duffer

I get a 100 dollars per head per show plus expenses. Fuel bed evening meal and supplies and a plane ticket if nessicary.  That gets everything from setup to tear down except the washrack after the show. Like RW said I will meet you at tie outs and be the last one to leave tieouts at night. About the only time that rate does not work is the week long shows

goodnight

ROAD WARRIOR said:
I seldom work for people that I don't know pretty well. I guess I'm getting old and hard to get along with but after being out on the road for over 30 years I guess I'm entitled to that. Standard rate is $200.00 a day, plus expences - 2 meals, a place to sleep and travel expences. I will be waiting on you when you get to tie outs every morning and be the last one to leave at night. We figure one man per four head. As a general rule I would preferr that unless you know what you are doing, for you to stay out of my way and promote your cattle to the people looking at them. I will have your cattle looking as close to 12 oclock as they are capable of that day, it's your job to promote them. I will not tolerate the "crew" standing behind the stalls with a beer in their hand all day - there are beer gardens for a reason and if you are standing behind the stall with a beer in your hand you're probably not working anyway. If I bring my "crew" in we will do it all, from washing, blowing, clipping, fitting, feeding, right down to sweeping the isle behind your cattle. No radio blaring at top volume, no trash pile around the show box. We are there to represent your cattle to the best of our abilities and take the job very seriously. RW

RW, I like your style. I will have to keep you in mind and give you a call when we get some cattle ready for show/sales this winter.

Meurer

I normally charge 75 to 100 for day work which would include travel and at least one meal, for those long shows I normally get 125-175 a day and that will include all meals, travel, and a bed to sleep in...if its a long way off a plane ticket is also nice....but just like RW that price includes everything from washing, feeding, cleaning, clipping fitting, and tieing out and then making beds late that night...if anyone ever needs some help just let me know...I like to meet new people and work for anyone anywhere.

The Show

I usually get $100/day + all expenses if I'm working for somebody's ranch or outfit. I work for you and you only and treat the cattle as if they were mine. If you give me some feeding instructions you don't have to show up til show day. Free lance work depends on who you are, what you've got, and how much you want done. I usually charge $40 to clip a calf, $60-$80 for fitting depending on how much work needs to be done, or $100 for both. I'm available year round if anybody ever needs any help.

shortdawg

RW, I like your style ! Will those of you that will be in L'ville please pm me your contact info ? I may not be able to go myself and may need some help. Thanks !

aj

For me its 5$ aday. All I can drink(blue goose vodka...1 half gallon aday). I prefer to work naked and without my parole officer looking over my shoulder. However paramedic and ambulance costs must be covered! I like to have "outlaw country" blasting at all times (specially when mo jo Nixon is on). I prefer to lay under cattle instead of kneeling all the time. My nickname is hachet rachet. <beer>

wowcows

RW, you have it going on! Back when I was on the road all the time. (Whew, glad those days are over kinda!) It was a lot different than it is now a day. For myself, some of these guys ya' hire to fit on show day seem to think they can get it all done in just that time when they drop their clippers off at the chute and when you gotta pull them (the cattle) out of the chute and away from them. I always liked to get there show day to who I was working for so I could help blow them out off the washrack. I felt then I knew more about what type of hair each one of them had and how I was going to execute my mission. These guys seem to think they can just start mowing and all will be okay.
I'll pay a good price for good help. A few beers after, but it would be nice if they could at least help pick up the mess they made and maybe help me get them broke down for what they are getting. I can't think that is all that much to ask.

wowcows

AND, isn't it funny that these guys are busy with something or talking on their phone or lining up the next victom to help with group classes (a breeding cattle thing) but they are all the suddlen freed up when you ask them if they would like in the pic at the backdrop!