What do you say?

Help Support Steer Planet:

kanshow

Couple of the other threads made me think of this.. 

So what are some words in your area that are different in other areas?

Example - We drink pop but others might call it soda.  We wear jeans, some call them denims or pants. 

red

good topic! I always call soft drinks pop. A co-worker from NY would always laugh because to them pop meant something entirely different.  (pop)
Tissue paper is always Kleenex for me & I use Puffs.

Red

amss101

I'm from Indiana-making me a "Hoosier".  In St. Louis where my sister-n-law moved a hoosier is a person who makes an _ss out of themselves...nice.

red

it seemed to me that people from MN called casseroles & such "hot pot". Like a tuna & noodle hot pot.

Red

dutch pride

I grew up with the noon meal called "dinner" and the evening meal called "supper". I think most people call noon meal "lunch" and evening meal 'dinner"

DLZ

shortdawg

I'm with Dutch on the meal thing. Here we give each other a ring or call on the phone but my SD friends give each other a jingle. We order a coke down here whatever brand it is. Pecan is the word everyone pronounces different. It's PEE-CAN at my place. I was always taught that you pee in a can not a con.  ;D

kanshow

Dutch - Those are the meals we have here too.  The only time we have lunch is if I go out to eat with my city friends OR lunch can be a light meal served between Dinner & Supper during a busy time like harvest. 

CPL

red said:
Tissue paper is always Kleenex for me & I use Puffs.

Red

Sharpie is another one. If its a black marker is a sharpie no matter what brand.

red

we called noon meal dinner & evening meal supper too. It causes confusion w/ my mom who uses lunch & dinner. Of course she also thinks that when it rains hubby is just sitting at home watching soaps!

Red

cowz

We say "crick" instead of "creek".  We say "Ca-lah-rad-uh" instead of Coloradoooo.  We say "coy-oat" instead of coyoteeeeeeee!  :D

When we say tank it is a metal water holding item, but for showcattlegal it is an earthen dam.  (We call it a pond)  Showcattlegal would call our tank a "tub"!  If you are chatting with cattle people from different regions, you have to be very specific.   :D

HOWEVER, WHEN MOVING HAY EQUIPMENT DOWN THE ROAD, OR MOVING CATTLE ACROSS THE ROAD,  I'M SURE THAT GETTING THE MIDDLE FINGER HAS A UNIVERSAL MEANING?!!  (WE CALL THAT A "CALIFORNIA HOWDY") (argue)

simtal

ok, how many refer hay racks (the correct nomenclature) as hay wagons?

also, you CUT beans and PICK corn

cowz

simtal said:

We say hay rack.  We also refer to a windrower as a swather.

red

simtal said:

we shell corn, cut beans & wheat & make hay.

Red

kanshow

Corn gets picked, beans & wheat get cut.    My grandpa used to say thrash wheat but then when he was young, that was really what they did.

My hubby warshes his hands. 

Cowboy Up

Corn Picked, Beans Cut
Dinner and Supper
Pop not Soda or Cola
AND.....IT IS WORSH NOT WASH  (lol)

dutch pride

kanshow said:
Corn gets picked, beans & wheat get cut.    My grandpa used to say thrash wheat but then when he was young, that was really what they did.

My hubby warshes his hands.   

I also "warsh" the dishes in the kitchen "zink"

DLZ

oakbar

We combine beans and pick corn. 

And Red, don't  you go making fun of us up here in North IA and MN--the term is "hot dish"----its basically any kind of meat, noodles, cream of mushroom soup or something like it baked in casserole (sp?)dish until it forms a brown crust on top.  Onion rings or other garnish on top is optional.

I think I've said this before but a friend of mine from Maryland once told me he "had to get up with someone" and I couldn't figure out what the heck he meant.  That phrase  is used in that part of the country to indicate that you need to call someone on the telephone.  I thought maybe they were sleeping together.

Our relatives in Saskatchewan refer to what we call a napkin as a "serviet",  what we call a diaper they call a napkin, and what we call a sofa or davenport they call a "chesterfield"

OH Breeder

I travel for a living and find myself in many parts of the country.
Growing up you " Red up the house"
Mom was "fixin to make dinner and supper" now that I work in the business world - everyone refers to dinner as the evening meal.
In pittsburgh which I spend some time it is " you' in's"  "you's guy's"
Roooof or Roof
our cows(small herd)  many time we refer to them by the sires name- so we have mossy, who, and folks that don't know cattle wonder about our conversation
I have been called Sam Sneed as a child by parents. I couldn't tell you who he is. But think he was someone popular in their day.
OOO HI OO or Oh Hi Ya