What do you think of her?

Help Support Steer Planet:

braunvieh

Hey everyone. We raise strictly purebred Braunvieh cattle so we don't deal with cllubby genetics (or hair..lol)  but would like to know what you think of this heifer we are selling at Denver in January.
She is a purebred Braunvieh that just turned a year a few days ago. She is sired by the bull in my avatar.

Click the link to see a video of her.  http://www.drrbraunvieh.com/reina/index.htm
Thanks!

Attachments

• Reina 2.jpg
    Reina 2.jpg
    957.2 KB · Views: 204

braunvieh

Yes, she is out of Oz! She will sell on Friday, January 15, at 10am in the National Braunvieh Sale at the Livestock Auction Center in the yards at Denver.

LN

I'm not a huge fan of Braunviehs, but regardless of breed she looks to be a very functional female. She's nice to look at and she looks like she'll make a great cow. Congrats on raising her!

clubcalve

Not real familar with the breed but she looks really nice good luck at the sale (clapping)

CAB

I like your heifer alot. If you study the breed, I think that the breed is underutilized. I'm fairly sure that they would cross well across a wide variety of cattle.

herefordfootball

I know very little about the breed. But that is a good looking heifer you got there. She should be a great female for any program. Purebred or crossed with something I think that one will make a good cow.

cdncowboy

Sure like the heifer, think you could use her even in a clubby program. 
My family used some Braunvieh's way back in the mid-70's,  they kept virtually every female, then turned Limi bulls on them.  That was the foundation of our purebred Limi herd, and wow did that influence ever carry on down the line.  They continued to be some of our most productive females.  20 some years later when we dispersed the Limi herd I think we could've traced back at least 75% of our females to those halfblood braunviehs.
I can't remember the name of the bull right now but he was a braunvieh being collected at Independent Breeders in Alberta, we seen him at stud still one of the most impressive bulls I have ever laid my own eyes on.  At the time they told us they had sales of over a million straws internationally on him, sure wish I could recall his name.

kfacres

interesting made female, of any color, any breed...  I think we've had this discussion before, but man they look like brown Swiss  j/k, don't take it the wrong way...  anyways, some family members and friends have used some braunvieh in a commercial herds...  had much success..  They really loved them.

I like this heifer... do have a question about the extra leather on the front end... comes from the bra side I'm guessing.  Could you clean it up some, or is it a desired trait?

never hurts to learn something new everyday.  never know when you're going to have to judge something odd in a show...   

shortyjock89

The Bra side? There is no Brahman in braunvieh cattle.  They're old school cattle from Europe that wasn't fooled around with crossbreeding like Maine's and other European breeds......right?  I really like that heifer, and if she was trimmed up in the front, she would be even cooler.

braunvieh

Yes, you are right OFS, there is no other breed in Braunvieh. Braunvieh means brown cow...in German.  The Braunvieh do have a little bit of leather compared to most breeds and this heifer does have a bit more than I would like. Those that are real clean fronted do look very cool.

Thanks everyone for the comments. I appreciate you letting me share. We do think she is a real nice heifer that is destined to be a good cow.

kfacres

ur kidding??? that doesn't stand for Brahman x Gelbvieh.........  You wouldn't begin to count the number of times I have heard this...

so what's their relation to the brown swiss then..

OH Breeder

kfacres said:
ur kidding??? that doesn't stand for Brahman x Gelbvieh.........  You wouldn't begin to count the number of times I have heard this...

so what's their relation to the brown swiss then..

http://www.braunvieh.org/pages/index.php?page_id=6

Braunvieh first of all is not a crossbreed or a new breed developed using two or more breeds. On the contrary, Braunvieh may be the oldest pure breed on earth, with records dating back to 800 B.C. Recently, archeologists have found cattle bones among the ruins of the ancient Swiss Lake Dwellers similar to those of the present day Braunvieh. This would date these cattle in the region to the Bronze Age.

braunvieh

Brown Swiss were actually started from the Braunvieh a long time ago by selecting for milk.....today they are so different that they have no genetic relationship any longer. Our breed association. did some blood percentage testing of Braunvieh a couple years ago and the results were that Braunvieh were more genetically related to Charolais and Gelbvieh (probably b/c the come from the same general European region) than any other breeds. Also the Brown Swiss had no genetic relationship to Braunvieh and were most closely related to Holstein. The Brown Swiss do have the same color markings as Braunvieh though.  I recently got studied up on all this for my son's 4-H talk about Braunvieh!!

Cowboy

I can sure see why you like OZ somuch guys, I really like this hfr,  as much as Liona !!!

How much snow did ya get over there?? So far abou 8 or better here, still spitting some yet. Windy - so not going any where tomorrow!!

I was always under th impression that Brown Swiss were the result of good selection from the Braunviah cattle for milk. I am surprised that they say there is not direct relationship today.

I do know this though -- they are extremely fertile and docile cattle -- if they could grow some more hair -- they would be super good to make smokey's out of for the clubby deals - bet they would work any way. Leather -- well -- I am of the thought that if you don't hanve ANYleathr -- there is also a lack of performance. If you are in the cmmercial business, performance IS the name of the game!

Good hfr -- like he alot!

Terry
(clapping)

CAB

Haven't Braunvieh cattle won the Denver Carcass contest more than any other breed?
Some of  Braunvieh's better traits are fertility, growth, longevity, maternal ability, carcass quality, cross well across the board. In general great breed of cattle.

aj

Very underated breed. I think bolze is there now. I think there can be some unbelieveable carcass cattle developed form the Angus- braunvieh cross.

beefy08

I really like the breed, wish I had a few. You should share more pics of your cattle, who cares if they aren't clubby.