What do you think of her

Help Support Steer Planet:

Doc

Here is a November hfr by MH On Target(Super Dazzler son) out of sister to X-Ray Vision. Tell me what you think! ;D

Attachments

• Gwen1 3-10-08.jpg
    Gwen1 3-10-08.jpg
    236.3 KB · Views: 877
  • Gwen 3-10-08.jpg
    Gwen 3-10-08.jpg
    219.5 KB · Views: 857

CPL

I think she's a bit to straight in her structure and I'd like to see the tailhead come down as well as a more desirable slope from hooks to pins. She's thick, fairly long bodied and looks like she's got a good rear on her. Not too bad of a calf, congratulations.

CPL

Rustynail said:
What do mean by slope from hooks to pins?

I'm not a fan of any extremes in beef cattle, I do like to see a slight downward angle of the hip to aid in calving. It's a functional trait that many practical cattlemen select for. Don't ask me why it is docked in the show ring.  :-\

shortyjock89

Rustynail said:
What do mean by slope from hooks to pins?

Look at the first pic.  From her hook (hip) bones to her pins (the bones right below her tailhead).  If the bones are parallel or close to it, it is more pleasing to the eye, and more acceptable in the American Show Ring. For this heifer, some would like to see them a bit more level.

Australian folks especially knock us Americans for selecting for minimal angle coming out of the hip.  If you look at the best Aussie cows, they all have a bit of slope, and a lot of the older (very old) genetics from the U.S. have this trait too.

OH Breeder

Doc,
I really like her. Even though it looks like she is fairly thick, she is not massive boned and is feminine. It looks like she is standing on a hill which I feel also can distort confirmation. I think she is great. I like her front end clean made. If you are gettin' rid of one, just let me know, I would have her in my pasture.

shortyjock89

Doc, I forgot to add that I think she's a fine female.  I would love to have her in my pasture as well. I even have a bull picked out to breed her to since she's so thick and heavy muscled.

Doc

OH Breeder said:
Doc,
I really like her. Even though it looks like she is fairly thick, she is not massive boned and is feminine. It looks like she is standing on a hill which I feel also can distort confirmation. I think she is great. I like her front end clean made. If you are gettin' rid of one, just let me know, I would have her in my pasture.

OHB, You are correct. She stopped as she started going up a hill next to my house. I wanted to get some pictures taken before she ran up to the barn in the mud. I will be consigning her to the Blue Ridge Shorthorn Classic in Clemson,SC on April 26th. OHB she is out of the dam of your Primo hfr. We flushed her dam to Primo again & will be flushing her to Kadabra week after next.
Thanks for the comments, always willing to hear them. ;D

justintime

It took me a few minutes to notice that there is a heifer in the picture. I was too busy looking at the green grass. Once I figured out that there was a heifer here, I have to say that I like her. She may be a bit round in her muscle shape and pattern for me, but she is thick made, feminine and pretty structurally sound. I would maybe like to stretch her out a little ... all over . For her age, she maybe looks a little too mature, so I am thinking she will be moderate in frame. There are lots of bulls out there that need to be used with females like this.

OH Breeder

Doc said:
OH Breeder said:
Doc,

OHB, You are correct. She stopped as she started going up a hill next to my house. I wanted to get some pictures taken before she ran up to the barn in the mud. I will be consigning her to the Blue Ridge Shorthorn Classic in Clemson,SC on April 26th. OHB she is out of the dam of your Primo hfr. We flushed her dam to Primo again & will be flushing her to Kadabra week after next.
Thanks for the comments, always willing to hear them. ;D
I have always liked Kadabra females. He usually makes them pretty. I have never had any structural issues with kadabra some say they have. I think that will really click.

JoeBnTN

Look at the first pic.  From her hook (hip) bones to her pins (the bones right below her tailhead).  If the bones are parallel or close to it, it is more pleasing to the eye, and more acceptable in the American Show Ring. For this heifer, some would like to see them a bit more level.

Australian folks especially knock us Americans for selecting for minimal angle coming out of the hip.  If you look at the best Aussie cows, they all have a bit of slope, and a lot of the older (very old) genetics from the U.S. have this trait too.

---
It's funny how most cattle breeders outside the US are always critical of our emphasis on eye appeal.  I remember when the first Salers came to the US and started getting used.  A few years later some of the French breeders came to the US to see the cattle and they were appalled at how we had ruined the cattle by raising their pins.  They insisted that an ideal Saler female should have a strong slope from hooks to pins - they felt it facilitated easier births especially with bigger calves.

Doc, nice heifer.  Good luck at Clemson.

Telos

I think she is unique in her kind with really good capacity. Her muscle to bone ratio looks to be very good, but personally would like to see her a little heavier structured and perhaps smoother and and little longer made in her muscle. Even though I'm critical she is an interesting female and feel that a lot of bulls would work on her. If she is a PHA or TH carrier that would give someone a better idea on how to breed her.

OH Breeder

Telos said:
I think she is unique in her kind with really good capacity. Her muscle to bone ratio looks to be very good, but personally would like to see her a little heavier structured and perhaps smoother and and little longer made in her muscle. Even though I'm critical she is an interesting female and feel that a lot of bulls would work on her. If she is a PHA or TH carrier that would give someone a better idea on how to breed her.

Telos, I think the bone to muscle ratio is what I like about her. I hate to see muscle bound heifer with huge bone. They usually seem to have trouble with calving...or at least in my experience. I think you could go alot of ways with her to get moderate calf with ample bone and looks as though tons of muscle.
Doc- Let me know where she goes.

Doc

Telos said:

Telos, She is PHAF by tested parentage. Her dam is THC & I should have test results this week on her .

knabe

slope from hooks to pins seems to be selected for in the wild, especially wildebeasts.  take a hip bone, look at it from the tail end.  level, which it won't be when a cow is calving, the calf has to go up and over.  the more it is tilted down, the easier it is for that calf to come out in line when the cow is pushing.  also, with a little slope, that area drains easier for all that stuff that is around there before and after calving.  the more posty legged an animal is, the harder it is for maximal opening of the pelvic bone when the cow is pushing.

BCCC

I am interested in who you would breed her to, if you bred her to a maine. I have a maine heifer that looks a lot alike her, except a lower tailer head, and not as deep. . Thanks a lot

garybob

JoeBnTN said:

---
It's funny how most cattle breeders outside the US are always critical of our emphasis on eye appeal.  I remember when the first Salers came to the US and started getting used.  A few years later some of the French breeders came to the US to see the cattle and they were appalled at how we had ruined the cattle by raising their pins.  They insisted that an ideal Saler female should have a strong slope from hooks to pins - they felt it facilitated easier births especially with bigger calves.

Doc, nice heifer.  Good luck at Clemson.
Funny? Those guys are right as rain. I still, don't understand why we, as a breed, continue to select for traits that have no benefit to the commercial producer. JCC has married into a Shorthorn Breeding family, and, he has noticed some things, after only a short period of time. Breeders of Shortorns in the USA ( with GENERATIONS of experience) can't seem to to notice these things.

GB

Telos

Doc - Did not intend to be critical because she really looks good. I'd love to have one like her. What are your plans with her?