what do you think

Help Support Steer Planet:

Show Heifer

First off, I couldn't find my Top sires catalog....and I completely tore apart my brushcutter so my brain is a bit fried (the 95 degree weather and 74% humidity isn't helping!!!  :p) But here are my thoughts:
My limis have crossed well with Juneau, and Dr.Who. But use Dr.Who with caution as with limis he might throw a big one!
This year, I tried OCC Legend and have very high hopes!
Your Char heifers I would go with a red angus. Should get some really nice calves and still have market calves if they don't pan out!
Your angus, again Juneau or Legend.  I also have several AWESOME TC Freedom calves out of my angus and limi cows.
I would NOT use alias or purple inferno.....have heard some BIG weights from those, especially when crossed with limis!!!
Another bull I used this year with high hopes after seeing some of his calves is Jakes Proud Jazz (shortie).

Your first thought when breeding a heifer should be "what can I breed her to that will NOT cause any problems, and yet have a nice, LIVE calf?"  It should not be "what can I breed her to that will sire a champion steer/heifer?" 
Trust me, you take care of your heifers, they will return the favor many times over the years as cows!!! :)

DL

OH Breeder said:
Pigguy,
First you said heifers. I would not under any circumstances use a variety of club bulls NOT recommended for heifers. I had a C Section last year and it was  a heifer. Not a fun thing to perform. Now this year she calved without a hitch.
You are establishing the productive life of the female which you want to use for future of your cow herd. Prolapses and dead calves or heifers will not accomplish this.
My suggestion although you don't like ALI, (I am not a fan of him either), there are calving ease bulls that will give you adequate show calves.
Northern Improvement throws a fancy hairy correct calf. They hit the ground small and are up and running with vigor in no time. That is important. Majors Money Man has given hartmans some high profile sellers and that would be a great choice for some of the females listed. Dr. Who has not calved small for me so, I would not say use him for heifers.
When evaluating these heifers, what was there Birthweight and what is there genetic make up. Study this hard. It will 50% of the equation that you are using to pick your bulls.
Juenau also has some pretty good calves. If you aren't afraid to try Red Angus or Simmi's which might do some of these females some good. Cherokee Canyon Chief Red Angus produced some great ones for WHR in Texas. Dream On of course is all the rage for simmi's and is calving ease. Those females that are harder made and clean fronted would click nice with Dream ON.
I have not used but am interested in the Shorthorn sire, Jake's Proud Jazz. They say he is consitant and is calving ease. Seems like an option for some.
I am not a Charlois person, but Baldridge Fastrack is one Charlois size that is recommeded calving ease. If you want to throw a smoke or two.

Some may not agree. But, I like to get a heifer set up for a productive future. You can't build a herd from dead heifers so why not take the time and do it right the first time. You may sacrifice some things that more establish "popular" club sires offer, but you will have live cows and calves.

Yo OH B - been a while - agree with you 100% re your last paragraph - a dead great one and a crippled heifer is a real drag. While I understand what DLD and others have said about using the same bull - I kinda disagree with them in regards to what you are doing - I see it as trying to see what works and what doesn't work with your particular animals - others want uniformity so they can seel a bunch of similar calves at the same time, maybe pulling a few off for show calves - go for it - but go for calving ease and maybe be willing to sacrifice a little show ring appeal or clubby potential to protect you heifer investment...

farmboy

I HEARD SOMEWHERE ELSE THAT HEATWAVE WAS TEARIN IT UP IN THE SHOW RING (INCLUDING THE REPRODUCTIVE TRACT OF ANY HEIFER THAT HAS THE MIS FORTUNE OF BEEING BRED TO HIM  ;D )

OH Breeder

dragon lady said:
OH Breeder said:
Pigguy,
First you said heifers. I would not under any circumstances use a variety of club bulls NOT recommended for heifers. I had a C Section last year and it was  a heifer. Not a fun thing to perform. Now this year she calved without a hitch.
You are establishing the productive life of the female which you want to use for future of your cow herd. Prolapses and dead calves or heifers will not accomplish this.
My suggestion although you don't like ALI, (I am not a fan of him either), there are calving ease bulls that will give you adequate show calves.
Northern Improvement throws a fancy hairy correct calf. They hit the ground small and are up and running with vigor in no time. That is important. Majors Money Man has given hartmans some high profile sellers and that would be a great choice for some of the females listed. Dr. Who has not calved small for me so, I would not say use him for heifers.
When evaluating these heifers, what was there Birthweight and what is there genetic make up. Study this hard. It will 50% of the equation that you are using to pick your bulls.
Juenau also has some pretty good calves. If you aren't afraid to try Red Angus or Simmi's which might do some of these females some good. Cherokee Canyon Chief Red Angus produced some great ones for WHR in Texas. Dream On of course is all the rage for simmi's and is calving ease. Those females that are harder made and clean fronted would click nice with Dream ON.
I have not used but am interested in the Shorthorn sire, Jake's Proud Jazz. They say he is consitant and is calving ease. Seems like an option for some.
I am not a Charlois person, but Baldridge Fastrack is one Charlois size that is recommeded calving ease. If you want to throw a smoke or two.

Some may not agree. But, I like to get a heifer set up for a productive future. You can't build a herd from dead heifers so why not take the time and do it right the first time. You may sacrifice some things that more establish "popular" club sires offer, but you will have live cows and calves.

Yo OH B - been a while - agree with you 100% re your last paragraph - a dead great one and a crippled heifer is a real drag. While I understand what DLD and others have said about using the same bull - I kinda disagree with them in regards to what you are doing - I see it as trying to see what works and what doesn't work with your particular animals - others want uniformity so they can seel a bunch of similar calves at the same time, maybe pulling a few off for show calves - go for it - but go for calving ease and maybe be willing to sacrifice a little show ring appeal or clubby potential to protect you heifer investment...
Thank DL
As we said this is a place to learn. The young folks can learn from our mistakes. Maybe not make the same ones. I try numerous calving ease sires that fit the heifers profile and like you, if they make it to the ring GREAT! IF not that is okay, my heifer will be a cow and we can move forward together. I am the first to admit I used some bulls of popular belief when i returned to this deal and will not make the same mistakes again!