What other breeds are out there?

Help Support Steer Planet:

red

I think we are all familar w/ the top breeds. Everyone has seen pictures of them.
I've learned a lot from TJ on the Lowliners & really have enjoyed seeing his pictures.
Who else out there has cattle that aren't in the majority? I personally would love to see some good pictures of some different breeds at a real life setting.

Thanks,
Red

genes

Oh sure....I guess I'll go embarrassing myself again.  You will laugh and Gypsy will cry, but hey, it's different

Ok so my Dad is a bit of a bargain hunter at the bred cow sales.  Usually it just means something up there in years or in poor condition or something.  Well one day....3 cows stepped off the trailer, and mom and I almost shot him right there.  Dinky little colour sided beasts with big horns.  Initially thought they were longhorns, but later figured out they were Corriente.

Well wouldn't you know it, come fall Mom and I were biting our tongues and Dad was laughing.  They had apparently been bred to a very good Red Angus bull, and the smallest of the three - probably all of 800 pounds - had a 600 lb + calf on her.  Now they aren't all that great, but they aren't usually bad either.  And in any case, it's not even that we are trying to raise the great ones off of them.  Rather it's economics.  These cows barely eat compared to the other ones, yet they maintain their condition and milk well (out of small, tight udders).  I think that whoever was talking about the small frame, small udder being the hight butterfat, these must be an example of that.

Now it's quite possible that we just got the 3 best Corriente cows that are out there, but whatever the case, they work for us.

This is one of those 3 that we bought...nothing special to look at for sure (unless you like interesting colors)
100_0889.jpg

Then this is a half angus one....again nothing special to look at, but also nothing terribly wrong with her either.
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/pally_genes/Cows/?action=view&current=100_0918.jpg

And then with her calf....not really typical to have that gut and stuff, but this pic shows what they raise as a percentage of themselves.  (I'm thinking the calf shouldn't be more than 5 months...don't knwo the birthdate though)
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/pally_genes/Cows/?action=view&current=100_0923.jpg

red

Genes, I've been waiting for Gypsy to out herself & post pictures of her Corrientes!
The guys used to drag home some pretty awful things years ago too. Glad they got the bargin barn out of their system!

Red

shorthorns r us

lots of those critters down this way.  once they get a 4 inch horn, team ropers run over one another to get them.

genes

Guess what we need is more team ropers.  Actually, that wouldn't work so well, as when you breed them angus, it's bye bye horns (thank goodness)

TJ

genes said:
Guess what we need is more team ropers.   Actually, that wouldn't work so well, as when you breed them angus, it's bye bye horns (thank goodness)

Last fall, I actually sold a guy in Southern IL (near Carbondale/Murphysboro), two percentage Lowline bull calves that he was going to breed to Corrientes this spring.  He's wanting to raise & sell all natural freezer beef from that cross.  I am very interest to see how that turns out.   

genes

Well now see you've keyed in on another dream.....I want to take a Corriente, breed it to a belted Galloway, and see if I can't make myself a  checkerboard cow  (lol)

xxcc

hey red, not sure if you have seen these two sites, but they aren't too bad:

http://www.ansi.okstate.edu/breeds/cattle/

http://www.tumpline.com/stackyard/beef/index.html

Attachments

• captain_obvious'_cowpic.jpg
    captain_obvious'_cowpic.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 256

Show Heifer

I have some gelv and limi's. Not too weird but not many around it seems. And don't panic, my limis are gentle. Trust me, if they throw their heads, they get to see a trailer!!
There is a farm south of me that raises Piedmontese. Hope to go visit them this summer. Also have a fella that is using a FULLBLOOD Chi bull. Yep, those white hided, black nose 7 foot tall fullbloods. Not sure why, but guess wel'll see how it works for him!
I took some pics of cattle in England in the early 1990's. Anyone interested in seeing them? I loved the Blonde D'Aquataine (spelling?). Really nice cattle, but haven't heard of them over hear yet.

Gypsy

genes said:
Oh sure....I guess I'll go embarrassing myself again.   You will laugh and Gypsy will cry, but hey, it's different

Ok so my Dad is a bit of a bargain hunter at the bred cow sales.  Usually it just means something up there in years or in poor condition or something.   Well one day....3 cows stepped off the trailer, and mom and I almost shot him right there.  Dinky little colour sided beasts with big horns.  Initially thought they were longhorns, but later figured out they were Corriente.

Well wouldn't you know it, come fall Mom and I were biting our tongues and Dad was laughing.  They had apparently been bred to a very good Red Angus bull, and the smallest of the three - probably all of 800 pounds - had a 600 lb + calf on her.  Now they aren't all that great, but they aren't usually bad either.  And in any case, it's not even that we are trying to raise the great ones off of them.  Rather it's economics.  These cows barely eat compared to the other ones, yet they maintain their condition and milk well (out of small, tight udders).  I think that whoever was talking about the small frame, small udder being the hight butterfat, these must be an example of that.

Now it's quite possible that we just got the 3 best Corriente cows that are out there, but whatever the case, they work for us.

This is one of those 3 that we bought...nothing special to look at for sure (unless you like interesting colors)
100_0889.jpg

Then this is a half angus one....again nothing special to look at, but also nothing terribly wrong with her either.
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/pally_genes/Cows/?action=view&current=100_0918.jpg

And then with her calf....not really typical to have that gut and stuff, but this pic shows what they raise as a percentage of themselves.  (I'm thinking the calf shouldn't be more than 5 months...don't knwo the birthdate though)
http://s23.photobucket.com/albums/b388/pally_genes/Cows/?action=view&current=100_0923.jpg

Well thanks a lot for outing me Genes!  Yes, fine I'll admit to it, I'm MARRIED to a Corriente breeder.  :eek:  But just to disparage the Corriente breed a bit (one of my favorite pastimes) I don't think you have a "true" Corriente in your photo.  I'm thinking that you probably have a 1/2 blood.  (1/2 Corriente, 1/2 something less embarrassing).  Therefore that red angus calf would only be 1/4 Corriente.  As evidence I am presenting a link to a photo of a "true" Corriente cow.  http://www.corrientecattle.org/images/corrie1.jpg    We have had some 1/2 bloods (have used Corriente bulls on Maine heifers) and you have to sell them as roping calves @ about 200 lbs. to get anything at all for them.

Corrientes are ugly little beasts, but a gentle breed, and you are right about the udders. 

bluegrass

How about Salers anyone here got any, also Pinzguar, I fitt some years ago they were good cattle but every one of em would kick.

red

We always have some Pinzguars at the Ohio Beef Expo on exhibit. They just never excited me too much.
Talking about the Belted Gallaways, they offer junior showers quite a package to get more interest in the breed. Really a good deal for a kid just wanting to get into cattle.
What are BueLingo? Dickenson Cattle, has those too. They are the US's largest Longhorn operation & are in eastern Ohio.
S_1550_m.jpg

red

Check out their website for lots of great pictures & some really interesting things too.

http://www.dickinsoncattle.com/