What to breed Dr. Who heifer to? (New Options!!!) Please Vote!!!

Help Support Steer Planet:

What to breed Dr. Who heifer to?

• Doc owned by Sievers

Votes: 2 7.1%
  • Highlander (Lautner and Hunter)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Shiver

Votes: 7 25.0%
  • Tracken Norman

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Jakes Proud Jazz(Shorthorn)

Votes: 5 17.9%
  • Other (Please List)

Votes: 4 14.3%
  • Majors Money Man

Votes: 6 21.4%

• Total voters

CAB

Jill said:
I normally don't error on the side of caution, but your heifer appears to be a heavy fed really clubby market type heifer, I would suggest you use the highest calving ease bull you can find and then you may still have problems.  I would also have her pelvic measured, she was meant to be a steer and those kind sometimes just aren't meant to be cows, don't mean to be harsh, but it may save you a great deal of expense and heartache down the road.

Jill, I thought that most of the Dr. Who's were turning into very good replacements. Have you been seeing anything that would make you beleive differently? We are always hoping for heifer calves when we plug one with Dr. Who & Habeger's made sexed semen available. Thanks, Brent

shortyjock89

Hey Brent, I think that Dr. Who does a great job of making replacements, when you have something less clubby on the bottom side.  I think that Dr. Who x Money Man would be killer.  With Heatseeker on the bottom side, I think you're gonna want something with a little set to their hock.  Shiver maybe? 

I'd see what Doc Holliday could do, or TJ has a Zefferelli son called Kryptonite that looks awesome. 

herefordfootball

TJ said:
If you are going to throw out Highlander, then my vote is for Doc, but it would be for the Doc owned by "TJ", with the last name, "Holliday".   ;)   Yes, I am being serious & no, I am not joking.  I think that combo could make a stunning calf, that comes easy for quick rebreeding.  The resulting frame size would be around a 4, but I think that the calf would be rather good.  And Doc Holliday is extremely sound & he will sire some real good hair for a Lowline.  You could sell it as a 1/2 Lowline and I've been told that some of the best clubby donors are frame 4's.  Anyway, I can understand if you don't want frame 4 offspring, but if she were mine, that's what I would do.  But, of course, I am going to say that, because that is what I am doing.  And who knows, I might just buy the calf from you, because that is a nice heifer.   ;)

TJ      

Yeah TJ mentioned Doc Holiday and I think it make a mean lowline in the showring!!! ;)

herefordfootball

TMJ Show Cattle said:
Listen very carefully: TOTAL SOLUTION calving ease deluxe with WMW and HABENERO. You will get a saleable calf,and a small calf at birth. Several bulls will work, TS is proven above and beyond.
Total Solution is an awesome wmw son, but again I'm wanting to stay away from linebreeding. Some of you probaly think I'm being stupid but I'm just real picky with my cattle. Thanks!!! :)

Jill

CAB said:
Jill said:
I normally don't error on the side of caution, but your heifer appears to be a heavy fed really clubby market type heifer, I would suggest you use the highest calving ease bull you can find and then you may still have problems.  I would also have her pelvic measured, she was meant to be a steer and those kind sometimes just aren't meant to be cows, don't mean to be harsh, but it may save you a great deal of expense and heartache down the road.

Jill, I thought that most of the Dr. Who's were turning into very good replacements. Have you been seeing anything that would make you beleive differently? We are always hoping for heifer calves when we plug one with Dr. Who & Habeger's made sexed semen available. Thanks, Brent

Actually Justin answered this pretty much how I would.  I based my comment on the look of the heifer not really based on breeding, Dr. Who's make great replacements, we have a Dr. Who X Hard Core that is one of the best we have ever raised, but putting Heat Seeker on the bottom side gives you a completely different look in my opinion, not a bad thing, just need a little more caution.

cowman

Agree 100% with Jill. If you're going to make one like her work you have to have the patience to concede the first calf may not be what you want. I don't care what you breed her to but it needs to be a no miss calving ease bull. Angus doesn't always equal calving ease either. New calving ease bulls are not an option because they are not proven. I am shocked with her build and smaller frame nobody has suggested Witch Doctor.

herefordfootball

cowman said:
Agree 100% with Jill. If you're going to make one like her work you have to have the patience to concede the first calf may not be what you want. I don't care what you breed her to but it needs to be a no miss calving ease bull. Angus doesn't always equal calving ease either. New calving ease bulls are not an option because they are not proven. I am shocked with her build and smaller frame nobody has suggested Witch Doctor.
\
Witch Doctor is known to throw some smaller calves but he's not 100% calving ease guaranteed. But thanks for the suggestion!! :)

Ohioteerchick

yeah, id throw out Highlander too. ive heard he throws heavy calves, and i wouldnt take the chance of losing a good heifer like that. i think Doc owned by Sievers

knabe

one option you haven't included is the option to sell her.  you said you didn't want to lose money on her.  not every calf will make a profit.  sometimes the best profit you can make is to minimize losses.  i say sell her and don't rack up any more expenses.  her stride is waaay too short.  sometimes having that bad calf around can do you damage in that people see it, know you won't cull it and lose curiosity.

herefordfootball

knabe said:
one option you haven't included is the option to sell her.  you said you didn't want to lose money on her.  not every calf will make a profit.  sometimes the best profit you can make is to minimize losses.  i say sell her and don't rack up any more expenses.  her stride is waaay too short.  sometimes having that bad calf around can do you damage in that people see it, know you won't cull it and lose curiosity.
I can see your view of it, but if I thought she was going to lose somebody money or make a bad cow, I wouldnt be trying to sell her on here, I would just take her to the sale barn where someone would buy her for butcher. Oh and she's not a bad calf, shes no longer for sale, a guy wants to campaign her in kansas this year and she'll be heading down there in july. The reason we were getting rid of her is because as maybe you can tell from the vid we have about 2.5 acres that is currently home to 6 of our donor cows soon to be 8. and 6 cows are pretty hard on a small pasture(They turn it into mud). Thanks for your opinion and input, I appreciate opinions and new ideas even if I disagree with them.

knabe

herefordfootball said:
(They turn it into mud).

there's your problem right there.  it sounds like you are compounding the problem by increasing your donor load.  what obstacles are stopping you from purchasing/leasing more land, decreasing your hay bill, fly control, identifying cattle that can perform under pasture conditions and come in to show, breed, calve etc?

8 cows/2.5 acres=stocking rate of 3.2cows/acre.  even when there is no mud, the pulverization of the soil must be hell on dust and respiratory problems.

herefordfootball

knabe said:
herefordfootball said:
(They turn it into mud).

there's your problem right there.  it sounds like you are compounding the problem by increasing your donor load.  what obstacles are stopping you from purchasing/leasing more land, decreasing your hay bill, fly control, identifying cattle that can perform under pasture conditions and come in to show, breed, calve etc?

8 cows/2.5 acres=stocking rate of 3.2cows/acre.  even when there is no mud, the pulverization of the soil must be hell on dust and respiratory problems.

Obstacles that are stopping me: MONEY, MONEY, MONEY!!!  (lol) The land we live on is extremely expensive. The land outside of our pasture(isnt owned by us) is being rented for 350 an acre/year. And I definitely cant afford to buy land like that. Nobody has decent pasture for rent or sale within about 45miles of us. I will not leave cows on a pasture that takes me 45 minutes to get to. But I have thought about this option more than once. Oh and the last land sale within 5 minutes of my house the ground averaged 7233$ an acre.

knabe

herefordfootball said:
I will not leave cows on a pasture that takes me 45 minutes to get to. But I have thought about this option more than once. Oh and the last land sale within 5 minutes of my house the ground averaged 7233$ an acre.

sell the ground you are on, buy a house on the edge of the city in the direction you buy land, and buy a small one with low maintenance requirements.  i commute every day 70 minutes each day.  not that big of a deal.  can't imagine you need to do that much EVERY day of the year with cattle.

or you could rent the one you are in, live in a dump that you rent closer to the cheaper land.  i'm thinking you can make more money to do what you want with your non-cattle assets.

think bigger picture.

herefordfootball

Thats a pretty good idea. I would definitely do that, but I'm seventeen, my dad owns the house, land, and barns, but I own the cows haha!!! If I were living on my own that sounds like the thing to do. Maybe in a few years!!! :) Thanks for the advice, I appreciate it!!!  :)

cowman

Anyone ever picture zach's sig pic when they read a knabe post?