what to do?

Help Support Steer Planet:

CAB

SHG, all I'm saying is that if the cow was mine, I would not be scared to give her some time to heal and honestly over my life time I have not had any cows that I can remember having troubles down the road after being put back together properly. If you like the heifer and she is not in pain, I wouldn't be in a hurry to sell her, you can always do that as long as she's OK. You'll be able to tell if you need to do something for her. As far as my statement is concerned about too many cows being flushed, if a person has buyer's for or can use them themselves at the prices involved that is great, but here on my commercial herd, I can't justify flushing a heifer/cow that hasn't had a number of calves ,preferably out of 3or4 different sires to prove her genetic worth. I have 2 cows right now that I have been considering flushing to 3 different sires for different reasons that are both on the top side of 13 years old and have had a number of good calves and the thing that is holding me back is, I don't know if they are good enough to spend the money on. At the same time, I think that PPL that can have 2 good donors around to feed, and are good enough marketer's that they can sell the embryos for decent money, brilliant, especially with feed costs where they are, they make me look like an idiot. Good Luck SHG. Please keep us informed as to what happens with your pair. I hope that Cowboy can get up and take a look @ your young cow. Sincerely, Brent C.

Lana, I hope that this helps you understand my thoughts on "too many cows being flushed". I do know the difference between human and animal"s perception of death and their perposses on earth. Seems to me that according to your posts about what to do when a cow loses her calf that you may have some anthropomorphic thoughts yourself.
  BTW, you have me confused with this statement "The vet says there is an injury - it simply ain't going to improve -". How many times do vets treat injured animals thinking these thoughts? Just curious. Brent C.

NoEars

if she's good I would risk it.  the worst case scenario is that she probalpses again.  If she's that good it's kind of a nobrainer.  What does anthropomorphic mean???  And injuries improve all the time.  it's a process called healing

CAB

It implies that I have troubles distinguishing the difference between how humans and animal feel and perceive life. That is our vocabulary lesson for today. LOL. Brent

shorthorngirl2010

farwest, allow me to clarify... she's seven months bred with her SECOND calf.  I apologize, i realize i informed everybody she was a first calf heifer.  The heifer i pulled 5 days ago is a SAV Final Answer daughter and the cow is AI'd back to Final Answer.  sorry for the confusion (thumbsup)

Cowboy

SHG2010 -- I am booked solid until Sunday or MOnday next, but I promise I will swing by if you get hold ofme and let me know directions.

Folks, to help clarify, this cow calved in Fec to Final Answer, the calf was weaned apparently 5 days ago and she is now 7 months along with her Second calf. That is my take on this any way. Nice pair of females looks to me -- and unless she is torn beyond repair, I as well would not sell her at this time!

Let me know OK -- Terry

showsteerdlux

Looks like 2 very nice females. i hope that this turns out to be something minor for you as both look to be pretty good. What is the momma cow?

shorthorngirl2010

momma cow... i wish was registered haha, but shes not... anywho, shes pure angus goes back to rainmaker and new design.  she's my cowpower ;D my favorite momma cow we've got!! <cowboy>