What to feed?

Help Support Steer Planet:

CBowlin

We have a very nice hereford heifer. She is very clean fronted and has a huge hip and has good bone. She has excellent rib shape from behind, but once you get her on her profile she lacks the depth of rib. She is perfect in her lines and is as sound as you can make one. Just needs more depth. What can we feed her to get her to drop her gut. She is currently on a Grand-4-T-Fyer mix. I have access to almost every feed type. Any input is appreciated!

twistedhshowstock

Well there are the obvious solutions like beat pulp, and things like that.  But we are feeding a feed we are having mixed, we call it a hot grower, cause its kind of between a grower and a finisher, everything is eating it except the tubby angus heifer that is about to calve.  It has a lot of Cotton Seed Hull in it for a fiber source, and they are doing really good on it, we have a chi heifer that was the same, really powerful, lot of rib shape, just didnt have a ton of depth when you were on the side, I wont say she is the deepest in the world now, but she has definately gotten better since we put her on that feed. If your interested I can get you the recipe, I am loving how everything is doing on it!

RankeCattleCo

twistedhshowstock said:
Well there are the obvious solutions like beat pulp, and things like that.  But we are feeding a feed we are having mixed, we call it a hot grower, cause its kind of between a grower and a finisher, everything is eating it except the tubby angus heifer that is about to calve.  It has a lot of Cotton Seed Hull in it for a fiber source, and they are doing really good on it, we have a chi heifer that was the same, really powerful, lot of rib shape, just didnt have a ton of depth when you were on the side, I wont say she is the deepest in the world now, but she has definately gotten better since we put her on that feed. If your interested I can get you the recipe, I am loving how everything is doing on it!

Do you think you could also P.M. or attach me to that email?  I P.Med you my email.

indianaclipper

obviously beet puld, cottonseed hulls help rib, but my past experience to drop a bit in the gut and rib, try feeding silage at free choice along with hay as well as feed twice a day ur ration